Sign in to follow this  
Crasher

Corrado VR6, customer wants to sell

How much would a 1995 Corrado VR6 be worth with the following spec?

Paintwork OK but needs a little work in places, Ohh and its Dark Green metallic. The total mileage is around 94K and the new engine has only done a couple of thousand and still has at least a full year of VAG warranty left. Nearly £18K spent in the last year.

Some of the parts fitted in the last year and ALL were new (except where stated), many genuine VW but there were many more small incidental items too boring to mention.

1 Genuine VW 2.9 ABV engine

2 Water pump

3 Electric water pump

4 Oil cooler

5 Water transfer pipe

6 Thermostat and housing

7 Poly V belt

8 Belt tensioner

9 Clutch

10 Clutch guide sleeve

11 Engine top cover

12 Ignition leads

13 Water hoses (most)

14 Engine mounts

15 Oil filter housing

16 All service items

17 Both knock sensors

18 Alternator and pulley

19 Starter motor

20 Accel cable

21 Temp senders

22 Air mass meter

23 Radiator

24 Supersprint cat back exhaust

25 Full gear linkage rebuild

26 Rear wheel bearings

27 Goodridge hoses all round

28 Rear pressure regulator

29 Rear ABS rotors

30 Offside rear caliper

31 Front brakes upgraded to 288-mm using Black Diamond discs and pads and refurbished hubs, calipers and carriers

32 Front wheel bearings

33 Front back plates

34 All metal brake pipes throughout the car replaced with Kunifer

35 ABS pump and ECU overhauled

36 New power steering hoses

37 Powerflex rack bush

38 Both track rods, ends and rack boots

39 Weitec GT fixed lowering suspension kit

40 New top mounts and shortened front bump stops

41 Rear axle bushes (standard)

42 Front wishbones and Powerflex bushes

43 Ball joints

44 Anti roll bar buses (standard)

45 Anti roll bar links

46 Genuine heater matrix

47 Heater control unit and cables

48 Windscreen (genuine with full surround set) and localised repairs to frame

49 Battery

50 Front and rear ABS sensors

51 Battery main power cables

52 Heater blower fan

53 Dash board lights

54 Offside front seat belt (genuine)

55 In Pro angel eye headlights

56 Full headlight relay system inside the car, one relay per headlight filament, wired up so the dipped beam stays on with the main beam.

57 In Pro red/clear rear tail lights

58 Clear side repeaters.

59 Full Thatcham cat 1 alarm system with LED’s in door button holes and total closure connected.

60 New genuine headlight switch

61 New inner door foils.

62 Nearside window slot seal

63 Full original used low mileage black leather interior with heated seats

Edit - ignore blatantly stupid 1st post!

got to worry if someone has sunk 18k and still wants to sell.

First question. What possessed him to spend £18k on it?!?

Good question, why and then look at selling. if i spent 18K on my vr i wouldnt be selling it...

EVER!!!!!

got to worry if someone has sunk 18k and still wants to sell.

Perhaps that's *why* he's selling it .. ??

Being presented with a bill for the price of a new car? That would sour the relationship with your vehicle somewhat..

Probably no more than 5.5k nearer 6k if the paint is sorted and it has the obligatory leather. It's not a good time of year to sell at the moment unless someone wants a Corrado for christmas.

To be honest i dont think he would have any trouble selling it. From the sounds of things its basically a Rado fresh from the factory, so if that went up for sale for around £7k i'd happily purchase it (fundage permitting). Lets face it, most VR6's go for £4-5k anyway

But unfortunately he wont get anywhere near what he paid for it, but good luck to him!

why wouldnt you want to sell the car if you have shelled out a load of money on it ?? i came to my senses a while ago and realised the corrado was a money pit. ive spent a ridiculous amount of money on my car, for which i could have gone and bought a nice low milage full spec Mk4 Golf 4motion down at my local garage!! you can plow £50k into a corrado if you want, at the end of the day its still an old car!

to spend that much money and sell it is foolish...

to spend that much money on 'real' upgrades (eg supercharge, rebore, waterinjection etc etc stuff that really improves the car) with the intention of keeping it and enjoying it is completely different kettle of fish

I built hit for him as a weekend fun car and we were just about to get it in for a strip down 6K re-spray and he suddenly realised he wasn't actually using it as it has sat in the corner of a unit at his business most of the summer and he uses his new Cayenne turbo all the time instead when he is in this country. It is a wonderful car to drive and if I didn't already have an embarrassing number of cars lying around I would buy it for the wife but one or two posts confirmed what I thought, about 6K so hopefully hearing that he will change his mind and keep it. It’s a bit heartbreaking for me and Ash (the mechanic here that did most of the work) because even though you get paid for doing the work, a job like that becomes part of you as you are building it for someone in particular and you get attached to the car.

That's such a shame, he should really USE the bleedin thing and get his £18k worth out of it! (I'd love to have enough cash to buy an old classic and have it totally restored to new condition.)

It reminds me of the guy who collects Canon SLR lenses. He has one of each. Does he take pictures? Nope .. I mean, there's four different versions of the 70-200L lens alone and he has all of them. (Combined cost ~£3k.)

But, if he wanted to sell it he should have stuck to all original parts. The powerflex bushes are an acquired taste, and not everyone will go for that.

Low miles Storms in immaculate condition are fetching up into the £10k+ range, but a standard car with 95k miles, even one that's been rebuilt with all new parts would struggle to get that. Particularly one with someone's personal preference of suspension and bushing.

I'll give him £500 for it. ;)

For me the icing on the cake was to have been the paint job and I feel, not cheated as such but something-difficult to explain but you probably know what I mean...

The Powerflex bushes for the front wishbones are, I think, fantastic but could be swapped easily (damn sump off again.......) and the rack bush couldn't offend anyone. The suspension is a little firm, an acquired taste, but I like it.

I really hope he changes his mind but I promised him I would make the original post to see what response I got, I didn't expect it to stir up such a mix of feelings. Funnily enough for my customers to spend more than this on a Golf 1 or 2 isn’t unusual, but it isn’t so common with a Corrado. It seems that with a Corrado originality is everything and restored examples are looked upon with disdain when next to an original no where near as clean and nice to drive, funny that.

It's my view that the kind of person who will be shelling out top-end money for a Corrado nowdays will be looking for *very* low mileage.

Therefore, on the assumption that the car is showing average miles (90k +) I don't think he'll get more than £6,250 for it tops.

He'd be better off keeping it - he's pi$$ed a load of money up the wall in any event as it would have been cheaper to have sold it & just bought a really sorted one (like Daz King's car, which was for sale recently)

Just my 2p...

Steve, Vince at Stealth Racing has been looking for a Corrado VR6 for a while... don't know how well you know him if at all but worth giving him a call... (he's more likely to appreciate the work thats gone into it than most!)