Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

People that don't understand proper cleaning

my boss has an aston DB9, and he lets this old guy/friend that lives near him wash it, its like a treat for the old guy as he gets to drive it too.

anyway he is washing the car outside at the mo, with an old paint bucket, fairy liquid, and a crappy sponge that looks like its from the 1960's

i'm whincing watching it, i tried to mention about swirls and stuff, but he and another guy just said "its only washing a car" and looked at me as if i'm weird :lol:

in my eyes he is sat there ruining it :p

Dont think id be able to hold back watching that, hes ruining one of the best looking cars fo the moment.

You should volunteer to do it correctly for him, in return for taking it for a spin.

Must take me about a day of good light to do the outside properly and another day to do the inside.

You have too many spare days...

Must take me about a day of good light to do the outside properly and another day to do the inside.

I wish..

A days worth of light up here is about 4-5 hours

seeing I get up at 10 :D

It makes me cringe to hear that. I used to wash my car with fairly liquid before I knew better.. and use car washes.. but as you say, unless you know, what are you supposed to do?

You should definately point out how bad washing up liquid is on car wax!!

Some people have that much money that they just dont care, as soon as they realise (if they do that is) it has a few blemishes on it its sold for something else equally expensive.

I spent all of last weekend washing and restoring a friends 10 year old Frontera (she has just aquired it). She thought I was mad at first, but when she saw the end result, took it all back! Gave me a good oportunity to test drive my nice shiney new Porter Cable too :mrgreen:

Fairy liquid!? :( !

Fairy liquid has got to be one of the most commonly,and wrongly used products there is as far as washing cars goes...its really not good for the paint,and can actually induce rusting :(

:lol:

I dunno about that actually,dont think its as strong as it used to be :? its not touching some bbs's im refurbing!

Neil.

Riley, you're not leaving it on long enough mate , if you look on http://www.volksdevil.com/ , theres a user guide on there that says " do not wash the nitromors off until you smell the tyre burning for best results"

gotta trust the experts mate ;-)

Pmsl :lol:

Oh i left it on long enough...it was a few days ago i covered a wheel in it :lol: Wonder if there's a wheel left :lol:

Nah,seriously though im just being lazy and not attempting to scrape it off,although it did used to just lift paint off im sure of it! :?

Neil.

So, from months worth of bored work hours, trawling thru old threads, I have learnt that a) sponges are bad, and b) so are car washes. I assume that we are talkin about the drive thru type? My question is this, are jet-washes capable of damaging paintwork? I use the local one each sunday, being too idle to get the lambswool and bucket out...

omg, speaking to some other folk, some people from aston martin are coming to look at the paint as its gone milky in some areas :lol:

neil , notromors on the wheels and bird crap on the bodywork - its the future !

its the only way to get that concourse finish

:lol: bugger the rat look eh? The bird poo look? :lol: :oops:

So, from months worth of bored work hours, trawling thru old threads, I have learnt that a) sponges are bad, and b) so are car washes. I assume that we are talkin about the drive thru type? My question is this, are jet-washes capable of damaging paintwork? I use the local one each sunday, being too idle to get the lambswool and bucket out...

Aye 8) Jet washes aren't the best really...They 'hammer' any dirt/dust/grit/salt against the paint.

If the lance has a soft pattern,used at a good distance then its damage limitation.

Neil.

oh dear... people i have worked for have thought that there is nothing much to cleaning... until i clean their car. they all.... bar none... stand there after and say... wow.. didnt know it could look like that.

where is your db9 owner based? i'll come and give him the free sample and show him how it SHOULD be done

where is your db9 owner based? i'll come and give him the free sample and show him how it SHOULD be done

And make the old dude (that normally 'cleans' it) cry?!

And make the old dude (that normally 'cleans' it) cry?!

Why not it is some form of car abuse he is carrying out..