Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Boyd Coddington vs Chip Foose

Well, I've done a search on this and came up with nothing, so I've decided to open a can of worms. Apologies if it has already happened.

Who's finished products do you prefer? Never mind about management styles, knowledge (or lack thereof), etc, this is about the cars once they are finished.

My vote goes for BOYD CODDINGTON. Some of his cars, especially the old hot rods, are sick. Foose has got really nice style and clean lines, but I think I prefer Boyd. That being said, I'd rather work for Chip any day of the week. Boyd has no idea what he is doing - think this is pretty obvious by the amount of personnel changes he goes thru. And as for Dwayne - what a stress head!

Mods - any chance of getting a poll added?

We could start a thread if we had any idea what you're talking about :lol:

obviously you don't have sky tv!

they are two very famous hot rodders who each have their own programs on the discovery channel.

xbones - close, but no cigar!

chip foose, he actually worked for boyd and designed the Boydster and several other of boyds "kit cars" as well as winning the Riddler more times than any other hot rod builder.

if you havnt got sky you can see most of the cars here overhaulin' starring chip foose and boyd coddington in american hotrod

wing nuts and american chopper are also worth watching if you have an appreciation for custom design

i have to say i prefer the foose stuff he has a real knack for making subtle changes that completely transform a vehicle and i can see why he left boyd coddington.

Foose.. We have a set of his wheels here at the moment for a customers Air-cooled project ad they are amazing

Foose ALL the way!!!

id kick Dwaynes ass for getting bluebear sacked but his team know all about smoooth!!!! mike is the milling master!!

Mike left Boyd and now does work for Foose! Same as the spryer at Boyds that was brilliant also now works for Foose.

His work is stunning!

You gotta say that Boyd and Dwayne possibly skipped people skills lessons, I'm surprised anyone stays there to take that type of abuse. Foose has so much talent, the drawings he produces, awesome!

Mike's the best, I know he had some big accident but have you ever know anyone with less expression?

Mike's the best, I know he had some big accident but have you ever know anyone with less expression?

But due to the big accident he had it left him with no muscles left in his face IIRC so you can't really comment one that!!

But due to the big accident he had it left him with no muscles left in his face IIRC so you can't really comment one that!!

I realise that and I'm not knocking him for it at all, it's not just his face anyway, his voice is the same and everything, him and bluebear were real chalk and cheese.

I think Boyd comes across as a complete muppet, and i dont think the programs paint a good pick of him. But the cars that come out of his shop a magic. As for Foose...never send his program

Definitely Foose. His skill at the drawing board is unreal.

So, was Mike the dude who's mouth never moved?

Was gonna make a joke about him but never knew it was from an accident he'd had... :oops:

So, was Mike the dude who's mouth never moved?

Was gonna make a joke about him but never knew it was from an accident he'd had... :oops:

In one episode they take a new motor out to the desert and Mike talks about last time he was there he had a big accident and had to be airlifted to hospital. His face is all made up with plates and he was only just starting to get some movement back. Not sure when they were filmed but as Blue_Joe said, you also see him working for Foose so maybe he had too much of Dwayne too!

there was an episode where Mike got fired by Boyd 'cos he found out he'd been designing wheels for Foose on his own time...

Foose's style just boggles me... he's definately of the "less is more" school which is just my kinda taste... He gets my vote hands down... :notworthy:

American Chopper's always good to watch... I'm not keen on some of the bikes they do as they can be a bit over the top for my taste, but the quality of the workmanship and the attention to detail is just mind blowing... 8)

I've not seen many of Chip's programs, but I have American Hotrod and and American Chopper DVDs.

Some of Boyd's cars are amaizing.

Does anyone know if/when a series 2 DVD box set will be coming out for American Hotrod?

IIRC Chip used to be Boyd's managing director for his company. They bought out Boyd by getting 51% shares and then voting him out. The company went bust soon after and Boyd wasn't even allowed to use his own name due to bankruptcy (how do u spell it?) - this is why Boyd hates Chip and flies off the handle whenever someone mentions him, and was so quick to sack Mike and Charlie when he found out they had done a bit of work for Chip.

I love the American Chopper guys, yeah some of their stuff is over the top, but they are show bikes rather than useable choppers. Plus the arguements are legendary and usually end up with mass destrucuion of some kind! Quality.