Sign in to follow this  
Yandards

New Uprated 80% brighter H4 Bulbs (Standard Wattage)

Apparently everywhere has run out of stock of these. Most places are taking orders for delivery in March

Put my order in before Christmas as did most people on here, I think someone has got a set, just wonder if they are any better.

Yan I think JMC had actually got his paws on a set.....

See a few folks worried about uprated looms on here. The one I run in my Mk1 golf is similar to the one I've just got hold of for my rado. A guy who lived local to me made them.

His looms fitted into the original headlight loom. meaning if you had any problems you could just unplug it and and reattach your old loom.

As for the worries about the damp getting in, nobody thought of using marine grade fuses and relays?? ;)

Yes Ive replaced with sealey waterproof fuseholders and so far Ive never had a problem since. :D

Got an email from Powerbulbs earlier and they're expecting the bulbs in this week.

It's philips's fault.....

Buggers!

Hope it will be worth the wait when they finally arrive.

Yep, I've had some through and fitted them. They are definately brighter than my old ones, but 80%??? Not sure.

Also I had one blow as soon as it was switched on. The company I bought them from happily sent me another one, however makes you wonder if they've let them out without enough testing (that was what the delay was for, as they were still doing testing on them).

Yep, I've had some through and fitted them. They are definately brighter than my old ones, but 80%??? Not sure.

Also I had one blow as soon as it was switched on. The company I bought them from happily sent me another one, however makes you wonder if they've let them out without enough testing (that was what the delay was for, as they were still doing testing on them).

Humn, hope not.

Were you old ones uprated?

Top of the tree was the 50% brighter Halfords super brilliance bulbs producing a score of 107 in their test criteria...

...but recently upgraded to the Halfords Super Brilliance units. I was very pleased with the improved lighting levels

Just upgraded to these in my C, did you just fit the H4's as I couldn't seem to get them in H3... Very pleased also, well compared to the candles that were previously fitted!

I fitted some phillips h3 100 watt jobs but that seems to have mucked up my headlights completely!! So i'm going back to the standard spots. :x

What are you running spot wise Yan?

Halfrauds do some 30% brighter jobbie in H3, seem to be ok. Main beam has a big difference with the H4's upgraded TBH.

I got some of those bulb from Halfrauds last week, they are very good, they were on bogof. so got 4, £90 worth of bulbs for £45.

Halfrauds...

Carefull now, I'll set Alison on ya! She may be tiny but she's like a terrier in a scuffle! :wink: :lol:

Meh ;)

They do some good stuff in there these days, pro tools especially but at the same time they do some right chavvy tat.

Humn, hope not.

Don't know - they came with the car and are atleast 3 years old. They are marked as GE MegaLight Plus if that is any help, although even with the headlight loom they weren't that bright. These new ones are a definate improvement.

Humn, hope not.

Don't know - they came with the car and are atleast 3 years old. They are marked as GE MegaLight Plus if that is any help, although even with the headlight loom they weren't that bright. These new ones are a definate improvement.

Well a quick net search reveals they (GE MegaLight Plus) are suppossed to be up to 50% brighter bulbs. So if you have a noticeable improvement then thats not too bad at all.

Well a quick net search reveals they (GE MegaLight Plus) are suppossed to be up to 50% brighter bulbs. So if you have a noticeable improvement then thats not too bad at all.

...and if you look on page 3 of this very thread, I've confirmed that the above are what halfords sell as the brilliance bulbs!

...and if you look on page 3 of this very thread, I've confirmed that the above are what halfords sell as the brilliance bulbs!

So basically then the 80% ones are noticeably better than the Halfords super brilliance bulbs..

So basically then the 80% ones are noticeably better than the Halfords super brilliance bulbs..

And the Halfords Super brilliance ones are noticeably better than standard items....

so these philips bulbs SHOULD make a difference even without an uprated loom?? someone mentioned theyre hard to fit??? how come?

Didn't occur to me to have a look for the Megalight bulbs and see what they are. One thing to kep in mind is that my old ones were atleast 3 years old, so it isn't a true side by side comparison. Hopefully others will start receiving theirs soon as well.

Good luck with them Yan, hopefully you'll see the same improvemetns I did.

I went the Halfords way this week and they are much brighter than my oems. That's with an uprated loom as well

Had loads of trouble trying to fit them though. Bloody springs fell out and after ripping my hands to shreds trying to get everything back in, I gave up and took the headlights off of the car. 10 secs later the bulb was replaced, made the job a lot easier.

Why oh why aren't the springs permanently captive hinged like every other car I've done before?

Anyway, done now.

ST

I went the Halfords way this week and they are much brighter than my oems. That's with an uprated loom as well

Had loads of trouble trying to fit them though. Bloody springs fell out and after ripping my hands to shreds trying to get everything back in, I gave up and took the headlights off of the car. 10 secs later the bulb was replaced, made the job a lot easier.

Why oh why aren't the springs permanently captive hinged like every other car I've done before?

Anyway, done now.

ST

Er, because you are supposed to take the headlights out to change the bulbs.

Your quite right.

I just did the usual male thing of checking the manual after the job is done and removing the headlamp is the way to go.

First car I've ever seen this on, not a good idea really as the allignment will be mucked up just for changing a bulb.

Learn something every day. :)

ST

Your quite right.

I just did the usual male thing of checking the manual after the job is done and removing the headlamp is the way to go.

First car I've ever seen this on, not a good idea really as the allignment will be mucked up just for changing a bulb.

Learn something every day. :)

ST

Nah, if you only take out the screws they spec in the manual you wont change the alignment by enough to notice. The alignment adjusting screws are on a different part.

I did my first set of bulbs without taking the lights out as well :roll: :oops: :lol:

Nah, if you only take out the screws they spec in the manual you wont change the alignment by enough to notice. The alignment adjusting screws are on a different part.

Don't want to continually hijack but I've found the height adjustment but not the left/ right adjustment screw, do you know where I can find it?

ST