Sign in to follow this  
Yandards

New Uprated 80% brighter H4 Bulbs (Standard Wattage)

Autoexpress recently carried out their annual bulbtest.

Top of the tree was the 50% brighter Halfords super brilliance bulbs producing a score of 107 in their test criteria.

However the real story was the new Philips X-treme Power bulbs which they tested but could not get a random sample of.

The bulbs are available in a H4 fitment at standard Corrado wattages and scored a massive 143 in the test.

As a comparison the Osram silverstars (+50%) scored a poor 85 in the test.

A furthur comparison can be made by comparing OE fit bulbs, the highest scoring of these was the Hella bulbs with a rating of 75. (Lowest was 59)

So by fitting a set of the new Philips X-treme power bulbs you should get just under twice the light level you did with the best OE bulbs.

As a furthur comment on this I have used OE bulbs in my C without an uprated loom since I had it, but recently upgraded to the Halfords Super Brilliance units. I was very pleased with the improved lighting levels and I can expect the same level of increase again by fitting the Philips units. As soon as I source a pair I will post some feedback on the results.

It was also recommended that you change your bulbs every two years for new ones as the light levels reduce over usage.

£25 for a pair from here:

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk

They are out of stock at the moment but here is a discount code for 10% off : XVQAV170

Alot of these bulbs are marketed wrong, they say 50-80% brighter but in reality they are not close. Just go and buy some cheaper 100w bulbs if you have nice uprated loom and you should be happy. I have tried the osrams and piia extreme, went to some 100w units and found best light, now on HID. They might not be legal but I have found on the corrado lights they are perfect.

The Halfords +50% setup is good!

Many moons ago I to went the LowG route, though mine were 130/90W. They died too quickly though :-(

Please also bear in mind that bulbs get slightly dimmer with age. You will always see an improvement when you replace them, unless you buy very crap replacements..

It was also recommended that you change your bulbs every two years for new ones as the light levels reduce over usage.

Yandards,

Alot of these bulbs are marketed wrong, they say 50-80% brighter but in reality they are not close. Just go and buy some cheaper 100w bulbs if you have nice uprated loom and you should be happy. I have tried the osrams and piia extreme, went to some 100w units and found best light, now on HID. They might not be legal but I have found on the corrado lights they are perfect.

Thanks for making my point. I am not saying that the claims of up to are true, just that during Autoexpress' controlled test the new Philips bulbs performed around 50% better than the next best bulb; which was around 30% better than stock. As I have already fitted the 'next best bulb' I do expect a healthy improvement from the Philips units, around 50% better... :wink:

As for uprated looms after speaking to plenty of people that have them I do not feel that they are reliable enough to be used - too many cases of water getting in and causing the lights to cut out (Usually on a dark country road)

too many cases of water getting in and causing the lights to cut out (Usually on a dark country road)

yup thats what happened to me, the answer is to give them a good coating of vaseline to waterproof them. never had a problem after that....

The Halfords 50% ones are now BOGOF - I think these are the autoexpress best buys...

Yeah they are but the Philips ones come out miles in front.

You can only get around 30% brighter in H3s from Halfords and they are not BOGOF.

Still worth doing though as they will not be the best if they are OE ones!

Yeah - realised last night they don't do H3 Super's

I was so tempted to pay the extra fiver for fitting the 4's too and watching them struggle, lol!

Cheers Yan, I've been thinking about boosting my lights recently and after a reading about a member's dissatisfaction with HIDs, I'm not sure they are the way to go on the Rado - 80s lense technology let's not forget!!

PIAA extreme, as LowG mentioned, claim to give a 100/110W output, but consume 55/60W. Sounds like a bizarre claim to me, but PIAA are a brilliant make though, so I doubt they'd spread the manure about like lesser brands do.

Yes 100W bulbs are illegal as they have far too much glare, and rightly so. They are also complete toss too as they run far too hot. Sit around in traffic a lot and they'll blow inside a fortnight, every time.

So what's the solution? I reckon these Phillips bulbs are worth a shot ;-)

Avoid 100W bulbs!

They will heat up your headlights, and burn the inside reflectors...

We also have 130W bulbs here in PT, of course they´re illegal!

I´m running the Phillips 50% brighter bulbs, they´re OK along with a headlight uprated loom.

It look like they are out of stock too

yep :-(

NOTE: Due to overwhelming demand Philips Automotive are temporarily out of stock of the new Xtreme Power bulbs. We are now accepting back-orders for stock due to arrive in January. Please order now to avoid disappointment in the new year.