Sign in to follow this  
veedub

Bloody VW Exhausts!!

What is it with VW Exhausts? 5 out of the 11 cars I have owned have been VW's (old and new) and all 5 the bloody exhausts have given up, the other 6 random makes have given me no exhaust problems at all!!

So I jumped in the Rado this morning, turned the key and she's now farting and popping like she had a curry last night!! Just what I need after the most expensive time of year!! :mad:

Lets hope it holds out for the rest of the week!!

God I love Dubs!

I dread the day this happens to me!!!

Good excuse to buy a nice shiney new toy for your car though...

are they expensive then? say a standard VR system?

I think they are IRO £350. Although I'm still on the original after 12 years and 116K so no problems with build quality.

i think it must just be bad luck or just the age of the cars you have had as mine is still on its original exhaust from 91 with 140k on it, according to the receipts for my old mr2 which was a 90 on 75k it had had 2 new exhausts before i had it and i had to replace it with a stainless one as it rotted, also a friend of mine has two Fiat Punto's one is R reg and has had 3 exhausts and the other is X reg and has also had 3 including a new cat.

the only thing wrong with the corrado exhaust was the heatshield came loose on the cat and the rear hook hanger started to crack, which has now been replaced with a nice stainless hook.

Good excuse to buy a nice shiney new toy for your car though...

Very true, just wish it would hold out until I have more disposable income avaliable!!

VW exhausts are really good usually - I had a Golf on it's original system for nearly 150k miles - it needed a backbox at 145k

Are you sure they are genuine - pattern replacements only last 3-4 years usually...

VW exhausts are really good usually - I had a Golf on it's original system for nearly 150k miles - it needed a backbox at 145k

Are you sure they are genuine - pattern replacements only last 3-4 years usually...

Pretty sure, I just think I have a run of bad luck!

Although I'm still on the original after 12 years and 116K so no problems with build quality

Mine is nearly 12 years old with 102k miles on original.

I think Dr Mat is a great believer in the good value for money and durability of VAG exhausts, too.

Im not doubting the quality of the factory system.

Mines done 93k and i fine (touch wood).

When it goes though i feel ill be going down the stainless route...

Pretty sure, I just think I have a run of bad luck!

Nah, it's not a genuine exhaust dude, when I sold it to you I told you it needed replacing - I'm suprised you've managed to make it last this long :)

( BTW - I'm thinking of popping down to Salt for a pint or two later if you fancy it? )

Genuine VW exhaust for the VR6 is £298 + VAT for the middle and back boxes. All reports are that this exhaust lasts 10 years and upwards. (Mine did.)

The front box costs about £80+VAT and the catalyst is vastly expensive new..

mine started to go (small hole) last year, on 135k, so I wouldn't say they were rubbish.

Magnex for a replace ;)

i've had two vauxhall and the exhausts didn't even last till 40,000miles 2/3years on both of em.

my corrado still has original after 140,000 and 11yrs

odd post. I've had no problems with VW exhausts and find they last longer than the aftermarket stuff, unless you're considering the full SS ones which tend to cost a little more. Mine has given me a lovely deep note for a couple years now and looks in great condition.

Nah, it's not a genuine exhaust dude, when I sold it to you I told you it needed replacing - I'm suprised you've managed to make it last this long :)

On closer inspection it appears to be the joint between the middle box and back box has worked loose so I think its just a case of tightening it up a bit!! :) :oops:

BTW - I'm thinking of popping down to Salt for a pint or two later if you fancy it?

Id love to mate but we are off to Dublin for a long weekend as of tomorrow. Shame, would have been nice to catch up with you guys!

Perhaps later in the year we should organise a little forum piss up!

Magnex, milltek or custom stainless one e.g. blue-flame / Poweflow etc. Will be better quality, last longer and sound far better than the OEM and prob as cheap if not cheaper mate.

My Corrado VR6 is over 10 years old now and has 118k miles on the clock and it is still on its original exhaust, although the mid box has just started blowing.

In contrast my wife's Seat Cupra 2.0 GTi 16v had 2 back boxes and one mid box in the 5 years we owned it.

Pah, you're all lucky.

B5 Passat Syncro - two exhaust systems!

2 CATs, 2 middle boxes, 2 back boxes, 2 exits....

Yup, not looking forward to that going....