Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Best oil

take a look at oilmans posts,i used vw synta oil,and the engine used loads,i then swapped to a better quality oil and oil consumption halved,and other people found the same aswell

i'll 2nd the Silkolene using 10w50, excellent stuff, not cheap but well worth the money as the old girls hardly using any oil at all now!

Well its in the garage on monday having the valve seals replaced, so i wanna make sure she is treated right when she comes back.

Went to halfords, bloody useless, not decent oil at all. If you've got a modern car then great, got an older one, well, there was sod all!

They've recently changed the Synta formula (Maybe inline with Castrol, who make it, bringing out this Edge stuff...) - some people have reported it seems thinner and they are using more but I've not noticed this yet... I suppose older engines 150k's plus may need something a bit heavier in the summer...

Synta Silver used to be 15w/40 but it has changed to 10w/40, still what we use in all normal servicing except for turbo diesels (Quantum TD), PD engines (Quantum PD or Longlife) or when a customer wants something a little better, Synta Gold.

Ok, well the valve seals weren't replaced, im gonna hold out until the engine gives way then get a rebuild/swap.

For now i need it to get through the MOT, as it was chucking out too much smoke last time, sooooo im getting some no more smoke gunf and i need some decent thick oil. So this thread has given me about 6 different oils, lol. So, with my situation, what should i use? I want as little consumption as possible, and as little purely out the exhaust as poss too!

Anyone here using or used that Castrol or Valvoline high mileage oil thats specifically made for higher mileage engines funnily enough? Think their both 10w/40 but not sure.

Could be an option for you skinnyman as its supposed to condition seals that get tired and worn in high mileage engines. Its obviously not a substitute for rebuilds but may help with your pending MOT issue.

i,m in the market for new oil too, ( looks like synta silver is the stuff i need) but i would like somebody to confirm this first,,, i have 1991 1.8 16v thats got 180k on the clock and have been using semi synth ..{{green bottle from halfords}}..{{which is crap! ... rado drinks the stuff}} all on recomendation of the preivous owner who said that the engine rattled on fully synth... i use the car all day and every day often doing short trips between sites ... any expert advice would be most wellcome cheers

my mech always put 15w40 morris in mine, now i`ve got a drive and done my own oil change put synta silver in and tappets have stopped noise on cold startup