Sign in to follow this  
Anton

My 1.8 16v beats My vr6 Help!!!

I have replaced the suspension on the VR back to insurance frendly jap aftermarket gear. It now goes round corners like a boat not like the 16v which goes round like its on rails (Bilstien I think)

I noticed the clearance round the rear wheels on the VR is much bigger although the front is about the same.

I measure the following to top of strap loop which goes through the rear bumper to the road.

The 1.8 measures 28 cm

The VR6 measure 36 cm

Scary!

Would someone else do that measure for either car to confim that this could be the problem?

Is it possible to fit the suspension incorrectly to create this height (36cm)

What do you think?

I tell you, I thought I was just driving faster with the VR but when I went back to the 1.8 I could take "sharp" corners 10mph faster without trying.

sounds like crap suspension...

The set cost £400 from memory but I couldn't get my insurance company to accept TA Koni's on HR springs. At the time I needed to get the car on the road ASAP so I had no choice.

This is all from memory - It was a stressfull time.

Cheers

vr's nose heavy even with the same kit on won't handle as well as the better balanced and lighter valver or G60

Rob

track width needs to be taken into acount but is the overall width that much wider as the vr wheel off set is different so the wheel sits in further this of course is if boh cars are on standard wheels

just checked the specs and both are listed as front track 56.5 inches and 56.3 rear

Rob

track width needs to be taken into acount but is the overall width that much wider as the vr wheel off set is different so the wheel sits in further this of course is if boh cars are on standard wheels

The VR will still have an improved roll centre because of the wider axle track. The wheel track may still be the same as a 16V because of the VR's offset, but the hubs are 15mm further out each side, so greatly improves roll centre control.

why would insurance not accept the koni`s???? doesnt make sense

id also like to know, bit worrying seeing as i have a set in a box in my boot waiting to be fitted . . .

Think I've found the problem.

One of the engine mounts was loose !

Boy, that would do it!!! ?!?!

why would insurance not accept the koni`s???? doesnt make sense

id also like to know, bit worrying seeing as i have a set in a box in my boot waiting to be fitted . . .

i`ve not had any bother

My insurance basically said they did not insure cars which were in any way modified.

I'm not certain but I think that was Highway Insurance who are very "cost effective" (cheap). I belive I am quite a low risk living where I do and being an old-git. I will be paying the extra, moving to another insurer and certainly cannot recommend them.