Sign in to follow this  
Laughingboy

Wierd complaint, my rado's quicker then I expected!!

Quick, if strange question guys,

Got sent a video from my rado's previous owners mate of it going down the A9 at an indicated 160mph on the clock!! (An obvious careful owner! :roll: ) Its got 17's on it which I know will put the speedo out somewhat but I always though it made them under read with bigger wheels!

Its a 16v kr!!! Not renowned for its breath taking performance compared with its bigger cousins in the corrado range but this one does feel surprisingly... urgent shall we say! :wink:

I suspected that one of the previous owners of this car has been an enthusiast but short of putting the car on the rollers is there any way to check if this car has had anything done to it engine wise.

Cheers for any help.

with the gearing in the KR it would have to pull nearly 7500 revs to achieve 160mph!

peak power is usually just over 6000 on a KR too.

I wonder if he had appropriately rated tyres on it for that speed.. a scary thought! I've only ever bought V rated for my Corrado's as they're rated for 149MPH - never thought i'd need any higher cause the car isn't capable of doing it!

Only way to see if it has been fettled I guess is to stick it on a Rolling Road! If its had internal engine mods, you aren't going to be able to tell from a quick visual inspection...

yeah then you ask yourself how many times do you reach those sort of speeds be lucky to go over 50mph in london

Even though you have 17's on the roling radius shouldn't have changed. Just the tyres getting thinner.

Was the video taken from a side on angle? that could look like the needle is further around than it actually was.

It was taken by the driver!! :shocked!:

Who in there right mind drives that fast and holds a mobile phone at the gauges!!

Sad thing is, the lad I bought this car off is now deceased. killed in a car accident at the tender age of 20. kinda brings it home to ya really. :|

Shame, but if he was prone to driving at 160 whilst filming with one hand......

I agree with the above, get it on a RR. Wish my 16v did that much, only had it up to 130 so far (on a private road of course!)

Hmmm, would've needed some serious fettling to get that speed. In reality, it was probably doing around 145mph, so if it has been cammed, gasflowed, bored out to 2lt and had the WUR mod, that's prob about right. could be pushing 180bhp with those sort of mods. Get it RR'd!

i have hit 135 + twice. once with 3 scared passengers. was on 17's then. it was still accelerating, slowly! wouldnt ever imagine it creepin to 160 tho.

I wonder if he had appropriately rated tyres on it for that speed.. a scary thought! I've only ever bought V rated for my Corrado's as they're rated for 149MPH - never thought i'd need any higher cause the car isn't capable of doing it!

Only way to see if it has been fettled I guess is to stick it on a Rolling Road! If its had internal engine mods, you aren't going to be able to tell from a quick visual inspection...

Ermm.. ur old g60 has seen 155 on the clock a few times lol that was on a private rd of course. Obviously that was clock speed and i havent accounted for speedo error

Even though you have 17's on the roling radius shouldn't have changed. Just the tyres getting thinner.

Was the video taken from a side on angle? that could look like the needle is further around than it actually was.

the rolling raius does increase with bigger wheels eg 205/50/15 has a smaller circumference than 205/40/17

the rolling raius does increase with bigger wheels eg 205/50/15 has a smaller circumference than 205/40/17

That is correct, but as you up the diameter of the wheel, the depth of the tyre reduces to keep the same roling radius. it also depends on the stretch,

Either way, the difference wont account for a car suddenly doing 30 mph more than its book speed.

just a question, I thought all the 16V's had clocks that only went up to 140mph anyway?

As a guide, I've had my VR up to an indicated 140mph, GPS said it was actually doing 132 which means clocks are about 5% out, guess thats about normal?

It was still pulling quite hard but I must admit I was bricking myself so slowed back down! :oops:

just a question, I thought all the 16V's had clocks that only went up to 140mph anyway?

LOL - that's very true!

Nope that's BS (just checked to make sure), mk II 8v Golfs have clocks that indicate 140mph max though.

Does sound like there has been some serious engine work gone into the car. My last RR for a standard KR, except for an ported exhaust mani and uprated downpipe back, was 122mph in fourth at just under 7k rpm. That's on OE 15" rims and 185/55s (Also standard) too.

Was the previous owner the one 5 up in the Paxo, if it was he wasn't driving IIRC? (Sorry, there were 20 people killed up here that weekend)