Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Great value for money for 2nd hand cars now?

IMO there has never been such great value for money available to buyers of used cars.

Our lad had to give up his S3 for financial reasons and has just got a 2001 Focus 1.6LX for £3.5k.

No!......wait....it's not too bad,........really!

I have never had a Ford but have taken to this particular car in a big way as I have washed it all - including the engine compartment - with my usual Autoglym stuff and had a good chance to examine it in detail.

Basically the car is almost in new condition due no doubt to the low mileage of just under 32k miles and an owner who must have been extremely careful with it. There is not a scuff or mark on it worth mentioning, both inside or out.

Its lines made it a pleasure to wash, with no awkward shapes and corners to have to deal with.

The gear change is one of the best ever - solid and switchlike, though I have not had a chance to drive it on the open road yet.

So, a nearly new car, originally costing £14k for £3.5k and perhaps a more sympathetic view from me towards Fords.

The Focus is generally regarded as a great motor. In fact I think Ford have managed to shake off their reputation over recent years with some great cars.

Would love to drive a Focus at some point and see what they're like!

i always hire a focus or a mondeo when i go on hols,i to enjoyed drivin the focus.mind u,the new mondeos are pretty good as well

My friend has the new ST 220 Focus - it is very quick. We often discuss who's car is the quickest, my tuned G60 or his ST Focus. They both put out roughly the same power but deliver it in very different ways. Turbo vs SC.

We used to spend a good deal of time in each others cars as we used to do a car share for work, but we cannot draw any conclusions.

To be honest - I'd rather own the ST. Its new, its fast, its reliable, it has 4 doors plus a warranty. What can I say.

However - I am eagerly awaiting the new IROC before jumping to any rash conclusions about what to buy next.

Our pool car is a new shape Focus, and I must say I really like it. Comfortable, handles nicely, and the TDCI engine is a gem. A vast improvement on the Astra we previously had!

they are great value... my mum bought one a year ago 1.6, 53 plate... 45k for £5,000!!! the only down side is they have possibly the most gutless 1.6 engine ever! but the price cannot be ignored...

there's no doubt that the original focus drives well, I've had a go in a number of 1.6s and 1.8s and two estates, the ride soaks up the bumps but feels precise and controlled.

My main gripe is the interior, it's aweful in grey and little better in black, it's sturdy enough, just feels so cheap, it just doesn't compare to the mk4 golf even slightly.

Can see why ford made so much more of an effort with the mk2 focus inside although it's a shame the car got so much bulkier.

Judging from a relative's V reg 1800 estate they seem to last pretty well too, the only mishap to date being a nut that fell off the handbrake cable and a tailgate strut that's loosing it's gas slowly.

Driven a few of these and the only complaint I have is that you feel your sitting on rather than in them. Could do with more seat adjustment available. Other than that very good cars to drive.

Most current Fords are great drivers car - financial suicide if you buy new without a big discount but great used buys. Every Focus, Fiesta, Mondeo I've driven in recent years has been very impressive but I still think youll go a long way to beat a VW as an overall ownership experience