Sign in to follow this  
herisites

DEL VR6's Corrado (56k get broadband!)

Well once i have waxed it the finish should remain, it will just need regular washes then to clean the crap off. But yeah time well spent, although im hurting today :lol:

Hold on, do you mean Collinite 915? Nathan has just started using this stuff but i was told that the 476s is better for darker colours which is why i got it plus its been proven to be pretty damn good stuff.

Ooops, yes, it is the 915 I've ordered, hopefully get it on next weekend, just about to start the clay bar treatment - well, after Moto GP has finished

Ok guys time to add my write up for the Mk4 Golf i machine polished over the easter weekend!

The car is a 99 Mk4 Golf Tdi in black (eek!) and it was in very bad condition so i offered to machine polish it mainly just as a challenge to myself as the owner (my sisters boyfriend) wasnt really fussed about the finish it had but i wanted to see if i could get it looking half decent.

I took a couple of before pics but they dont really show how bad it is, it just looks like a black mk4 :lol: but here are some before shots anyway:

car-before.jpg

car-before2.jpg

bonnet-swirls.jpg

bonnet-swirls2.jpg

The first thing i did was clean the wheels using AG Wheel Cleaner and a wheel brush.

AG-clean-wheels.jpg

It had not long been washed (at a car wash :roll:) so i just let it soak for a while in the shampoo that came with my superspray (which is a great little item!):

superspray.jpg superspray-action.jpg soaking.jpg

Then i washed it with Megs #00 Hi-Tech Wash using 2 buckets and a lambs wool wash mitt for the large body panels and a megs wash mitt for smaller more dirty areas including door shuts etc. Then dried with a Sonus Ultimate Drying Towel.

megs-shampoo.jpg washing-action.jpg drying-action.jpg

Then i clayed the car with a Sonus Green clay bar and Sonus Glyde lubricant. Which on the main body panels didnt collect a lot of dirt but the tailgate and lower half of the doors were quite dirty:

clay-bonnet.jpg

clay-tailgate.jpg

I also used the clay on the wheels to remove stubborn brake dust.

Then i washed and dried it again and left for a while to completely dry off. The wheeled it into the garage to start the back breaking machine polishing! I first went over the car by hand with Megs Step 1 Paint Cleaner and then masked off a section of the bonnet and tested numerous polish and pad combinations. Final Finish on even the hardest pad didnt touch it being VAG paint :shock: so tried Intensive Polish which on the hardest pad started to remove the swirls. After the IP i went over with FF on a soft pad and it came up rather well:

Here is a 50/50 shot:

5050-swirls.jpg

Some shots of the finished bonnet:

after-bonnet.jpg

bonnet-reflection.jpg

bonnet-reflection2.jpg

Action shot: :oops:

machining-action.jpg

After a LONG time on the bonnet which was mainly testing combinations i masked up the rest of the side and then had the most important part:

A cuppa in my fav 'Sex' mug :lol:

cuppa.jpg

So anyway i carried on with this combination round the first half of the car and some areas (mainly rear quarter) i even had to break out the Power Gloss which is quite scary to use as it looks like it does more bad than good as it cuts so much but after some FF came up a treat.

Door before and after:

swirls-door.jpg after-door.jpg

Rear quarter before and after:

swirls-rear-qtr.jpg after-rear-qtr.jpg

At this point i was absolutely cream crackered due to the fact i had been gym the night before and killed my shoulders with weight training not realising i was going to be machine polishing all day the next day!!!!!! So i left it as it was in the garage and continued with it the next day which seemed to go a lot faster and easier for some reason :? I didnt use the polisher on the plastics due to me being in experienced and them not taking the same heat as metal etc so i just used some Scratch-X and elbow grease. Then covered the whole car in AG SRP to cover up any marks left behind, waxed with Collinite 476s and finally glass cleaned and tyres dressed with Megs Endurance.

After Shots: 8)

door-reflection.jpg

car-after1.jpg

car-after2.jpg

car-after3.jpg

(thats a plane line in the reflection not a hologram before anyone questions my skills :p :lol:)

car-after4.jpg

car-after5.jpg

car-after6.jpg

Overall i was very pleased with how i got it looking, i was bloody nackered and dont fancy tackling a job as hard as that for a little while!! The owner was over the moon with the results and couldnt believe the difference! I even got a phone call on sunday night from my sister whilst they were both out saying that all his and her mates want me to do theirs now :roll: :lol:

Thank you for looking :D

Rob.

Nice job there dude especially seeing as youve only recently started machine polishing! Blacks always the hardest so you wont go far wrong.

Nice going Rob, really! You've got into the fairly advanced level of cleaning quite quickly there! When can you do mine? :D

MK1Campaign, Thanks :D yeah black AND vw paint for both my 1st and 2nd time machine polishing isnt a bad start :lol: im sure it will be a relief when i get to work on a car with nice soft paint!!

Jim, Cheers Jim, i have picked it up quickly as i have become sadly addicted :oops: :lol: i have been looking on Detailing World a LOT and been researching different products so am gathering up quite a collection of different polishes/glazes/waxes etc now! It wont be too long until i will offer to do other peoples cars but for now i would like a bit more practise on mates cars that dont really care if i dont make it much better :lol: i noticed on my sisters golf that a few areas i have left the odd hologram which kind of knocked my confidence a bit after saying i would do the golf but i read about how they were caused which is basically not breaking the polish down enough and moving too quickly and so took more time and care on the golf and so far so good!

when i saw the 'before' shots I was thinking there wasn't much wrong with it but when you compare it to the 'after' photos you can see a big difference, good work mate!

Well impressed with that Rob..

When you start doing other people Rados id defnitely be interested in sending some business your way...

Nice work mate, i did a 3 step treatment on mine for the first time this weekend but didn't but in half the effort that you seem to have done! Amazing.

You're in Rushden right? only about 5 mins from my parents place, i'll have to pop over for some tips! :lol:

when i saw the 'before' shots I was thinking there wasn't much wrong with it but when you compare it to the 'after' photos you can see a big difference, good work mate!

TBH though the before shots aren't very good to show how bad it was, it was worst at night time with a flood light on, every inch of the car was covered in swirls it made me cringe which is why i offered to machine polish it for him. But the after shots do show how nice it has come up, you cant beat black VAG cars when they are at their best imo but i wouldnt own a black car, too much hassle to keep looking nice :shock:

your getting very good at this rob, i still havent taken my silverline polisher out of the box since xmas, got all the megs pads/polish's sitting in the shed also :oops:

at this rate, it wont be long till Nathan (jediknight83) comes to you for he's car to be done :lol:

karl

When you start doing other people Rados id defnitely be interested in sending some business your way...

No probs mate :lol: give me a bit more practise first and i will gladly help you out 8)

your getting very good at this rob, i still havent taken my silverline polisher out of the box since xmas, got all the megs pads/polish's sitting in the shed also :oops:

at this rate, it wont be long till Nathan (jediknight83) comes to you for he's car to be done :lol:

karl

Cheers Karl, get that polisher out mate! Even i havent got all the Megs pads :p

But i wouldnt compare myself anywhere near the capabilities of Nathan yet, he is truly a legend at detailing and its watching his work that inspired me and i would be glad to be half as good!

Nice work mate, i did a 3 step treatment on mine for the first time this weekend but didn't but in half the effort that you seem to have done! Amazing.

You're in Rushden right? only about 5 mins from my parents place, i'll have to pop over for some tips! :lol:

Yes mate im in Rushden so if you are ever in the area let me know and we could meet up, im on the forum 90% of the time so just drop me a PM. I started life on the 3 step - about a month ago :lol:

Ive also found myself on detailing world quite a lot looking at different products. My latest addition is some Victoria Concours wax. Found it very good and as good as the last pot of Swissol Onyx i had.

I started life on the 3 step - about a month ago :lol:

I'd best get myself out practicing then! Don't tell the missus I'm off to buy a machine polisher :wink: ........

I am going to be ordering some Victoria Concours myself tomorrow, the red wax not the yellow as the red i believe is supposed to give superb results on dark red cars and with mine being blackberry i thought it would be a good choice. So im looking forward to getting it and seeing how it looks. Im also going to try some Clearkote Red Moose Glaze as again i believe it would give good results with the blackberry 8)

No probs mate :lol: give me a bit more practise first and i will gladly help you out 8)

Nice one Rob, in all seriousness, let me know when youd take my car in...

Rob.... Nice one matey :)

I purchased a PC recently with SFX 1-2-3 pads.. Orange Sonus and Megs Super soft Poishing pad and finishing pad...

Also Meg#80 and #83 including the sfx1-2-3 polishes too....

Starting on my Mk4 Golf, Indigo Blue which is aso swirlled all over :roll:

Using the sfx-1 pad and meg#83 it was not even touching the swirls.. (Sh*t this VAG paint is tough)....

What would you reconmend I use and where to get it from????

Rob.... Nice one matey :)

I purchased a PC recently with SFX 1-2-3 pads.. Orange Sonus and Megs Super soft Poishing pad and finishing pad...

Also Meg#80 and #83 including the sfx1-2-3 polishes too....

Starting on my Mk4 Golf, Indigo Blue which is aso swirlled all over :roll:

Using the sfx-1 pad and meg#83 it was not even touching the swirls.. (Sh*t this VAG paint is tough)....

What would you reconmend I use and where to get it from????

Yep VAG paint is definately the toughest paint! What i usually do mate is mask off a testing section on the bonnet and then i start with the lightest polish on the softest pad and then work up from there which i learnt from THIS guide on cleanyourcar and detailing world. And i also watched videos on Youtube (which would benefit you because they are all with the PC). My usual method is Intensive Polish (or in your case would be either SFX-1 or #83) spread at 600rpm, then worked at 1200 for a few passes and then slowly worked at about 1800rpm and make about 8 passes or as many as needed until the polish starts going hazy and clear, then i slow it back down to about 1200rpm and make lighter passes to finish it off and remove any holograms that might have been left from when the polish was at its most abrasive. If needed i then go over with a final finish but its not always needed if you break the intensive polish down fully as that effectively then becomes a final finish because the abrasives are much much smaller.

tbh Rob.... the Meg#83 just doesn't do the job on the vag paint..... Don't get me wrong it is good stuff, but using it with the sfx-1 it was making very little progress even after 15 passes....

Where did you get the ff and IP from? and what was the costs....