_leon_

best gear ratios for g60 gearbox

just read thro all of this thread am well confused ! :confused4:

have i done a good thing fitting a CHA to my G60? yet to test it yet???

Edited by STU175

just read thro all of this thread am well confused ! :confused4:

have i done a good thing fitting a CHA to my G60? yet to test it yet???

Bit of confusion over the CHA they appear to come from passat diesels but the FD is like 4:1!! :scratch:

EDIT Ahh not a turbo diesel only 75hp that makes sense now, heavy car not much power!

Hi all

Sorry to resurrect the post, please can anyone help me out with this:

I have a G60 gearbox with VR6 1st, 2nd and FD.

What are the ratios of this box like?

How does it compare with a CTN box ratio wise?

Strength wise how does my box compare with a CTN box

Cheers in advance

edit - running 195/15/15 and G box is fitted with Wavetrack LSD.

If you look on page 2 it has all the ratios,including the CBA box with Vr 1st and 2nd,

you havent stated what code your box is ! the CTN has a lot higher final drive,and is stronger then the G60 box.

When you have time,read the complete thread,all your answers are in it !

Ah yes I see.

So if take the info on page 2 and ad my Vr FD I end up with a similar box to CTN except that it has less top end.

The strength point was what I most interested in

thanks

Refering back to a question posed earlier on this thread pertaining to the fitment of a Quaife LSD into CTN box. It was believed to be possible, but nobody seems to have written any detail to confirm this as yet. As i have just finished sorting my box i can confirm it is all entirely possible. I have fitted the internals, including the shift tower, of the CTN box into my CBA and retained my Quaife. Conversely i could have just transfered my Quaife into the CTN box, but would need to remove the green extended output flange seal housings, and fitted seals direct to the casing, to make possible the fitment of CBA spring loaded output drive flanges. This conversion was childs play to carry out, the only ass ache being drilling out the CTN diff gear retaining rivets. I hope this compliments all the hard work fed into this and other gearbox related treads.

Refering back to a question posed earlier on this thread pertaining to the fitment of a Quaife LSD into CTN box. It was believed to be possible, but nobody seems to have written any detail to confirm this as yet. As i have just finished sorting my box i can confirm it is all entirely possible. I have fitted the internals, including the shift tower, of the CTN box into my CBA and retained my Quaife. Conversely i could have just transfered my Quaife into the CTN box, but would need to remove the green extended output flange seal housings, and fitted seals direct to the casing, to make possible the fitment of CBA spring loaded output drive flanges. This conversion was childs play to carry out, the only ass ache being drilling out the CTN diff gear retaining rivets. I hope this compliments all the hard work fed into this and other gearbox related treads.

Cheers for that update John, I did get your answerphone message about it (thanks) have you driven it yet?

Not driven as yet Yan, I am still waiting for my JE pistons and block to be sorted. Hopefully this will be with me by week Monday in time to rebuild and install. First out will be for the Goodwood breakfast club meet on 7th November. Will give you guys some feed back on the drive changes after this.

Apologies for opening up this thread agin, but having read the entire thread and using the input calculators to decide whther or not to "upgrade" to a CTN MK3 TDi gearbox, I have discovered that on 205/40 R16 tyres, the difference between RPM cruising at 75 MPH in 5th gear is only 200 rpm (2679 rpm with a CTN box and CTN 5th gear and 2879 rpm with VR6 5th gear ratio).

Kinda begs the question that is it really worth going to the expense of dropping my current box to put in a diesel 5th gear and my diff or replacing the current box and replacing with the CTN with my diff for the only advantage to be a 200 rpm drop in 5th with slightly better fuel consumption ? Looking at the calculators, the VR6 1st and 2nd gears actually give better acceleration compared to the CTN box anyways.

Current spec of my box is 02A CHA MK3 Passat 16V bellhousing with VR6 1st and 2nd gears, G60 3rd and 4th with a VR6 5th gear with 3.68 G60 FD and Peloquin ATB diff.

Thought and comments invited :-)

Edited by BigTartanJudge

When you unleash all of your power,you won't need the lower gearing of the Vr boxes 1st and 2nd, even with a LSD you will just spin the wheels !

The diesel boxes are allegedly built stronger,especially in the diff area,

I am biased as I have a CTN with a wavetrac,absolutely love it

When you unleash all of your power,you won't need the lower gearing of the Vr boxes 1st and 2nd, even with a LSD you will just spin the wheels !

The diesel boxes are allegedly built stronger,especially in the diff area,

I am biased as I have a CTN with a wavetrac,absolutely love it

Yeah, but short of being allegedly built stronger and a slightly lower rpm in 5th, there would be no other advantage in getting a CTN box fitted after swapping over my diff. CTN boxes with low (and verified low) mileages are also increasingly rare, so for the sake of saving me probably £500 to purchase said box and pay for the labout involved, it's not really worth it is what I'm getting at I guess ? I've already spent around £1200 on having the current box fully overhauled and rebuilt, including purchasing and fitting the diff.

Have you not spoken to John about this ? I know he loves his CTN !

I've managed 48mpg with mine

Have mentioned it briefly, but not at length. Will have another chat to him about it, cheers

Any other opinions guys ?