Sign in to follow this  
ziderapple

Are you really a dubber??

To be honest, I have been thinking ever since I joined this forum that a lot of the members are not really into their dubs. It seems many people on this forum view the Corrado as a performance car they want to own, for various reasons, but will quickly move onto other marques, especially jap motors. I suppose fair enough really, it’s a Corrado forum, not a VW only forum but being that I'm a true dubber through and through I just kind of resent it, when I say dubber I do include the VAG family, but my heart lies with pre '96 motors, with some exceptions (Veyron :twisted: ).

Maybe its because I've only really ever owned dub's; 3 Mk1's, 3 Mk2's, my C, and 2 Beetles, but before internet forums became so prolific how many marques had real followings with clubs etc like VW? Well a fair few but...............argh!!! I know what I'm trying to say but can't really word it how I want. Does anyone catch my drift/feel the same?

i know what you are saying, and i don't think this forum has the same "vibe" as some of the other vw ones.

I suppose I'm not a true "dubber" then, but does that make me less wothy of the being a member of the forum??

This is my first dub, but is one that I've always wanted. I've tried a lot of different cars now, but I feel it's been a progression to what I now have. I've had a 206 GTI a Scooby WRX & now a VR6 Corrado. I love my Corrado & don't think I could swap it for the world. So, where does that leave me in your eyes? :?

I'm not sure i can class myself as a dubber yet, but i stick my nose up at anything that isn't vag... I had a polo gt before this but being as young as i am haven't dabbled with many others. I definatly want to have a play around with a mk1 golf, and a mk1 rocco. Theres a big dub scene around my area, everyone has golfs, caddys and polo's.

I class True Dubbers as the ones who have had most of the Vag range over the years and live and breath VW's.(the sad ones like me!)

Sounds like we need to have an apprentice scheme for new VAG owners and afetr a couple of hard years in the shed they get there "true Dubbers" Badge (like the one in the old VW Wings Ad! :lol:)

I love this forum, I think it has a pretty good vibe, I have nothing against anyone who inst a dubber, I have owned non-VAG cars, vauxhalls and a Ford, like I said its hard to explain what I mean, but we're on here for a shared interest: the Coraado, which is cool with me. :D

I'm just curious as to who, when the time comes to say goodbye to their C will be looking at anything and who will be thinking "well it's gotta be a dub or an Audi"

I know I am a true dubber, owned nothing but VW's since I was 16. Bought a porsche 911, had it for 2 months and sold it to buy another VW. :)

Says it all really...

Jay

I personally find that some other "dub" forums include a load of ass-sniffing-immature people who drive like nonces.

Not all of them of course..

I class myself more of a German motor enthusiast,with a slight inclination to early 80's Fordies as well,tho it was going to Inters in 1998 that really got me into VW's even tho I'd owned a few Porsches and an UR-quattro well before then,having said that I've owned my Corrado for almost 3 times longer than any other car I've had in the past :D

I'm not really a dubber. I'm a Corrado nut, and like a lot of other dubs, but would quite happily buy another make if it was up to scratch.

im a true dubber

ive had:

5 mk1's

many mk2's (lost count)

3 mk3's

3 corrados

jetta turbo

audi coupe

audi a4 tdi

leon cupra

bora tdi

3 porsche 944's

at the moment i have:

black mk1 campaighn gti

corrado 16v

and soon i will be collecting a audi ur or a golf rallye :new-bday:

Ive spent just over half my driving years in a Vag - Leon and the 2 Rados and i would say i was a huge VW fan..

I remember at 17 thinking the coolest cars were the MK1s and MK2s and couldnt wait for the day when i could get my hands on something like that.

If i were to get rid of my Rado id be looking at a VAG as a replacement and have every intention of owning a few more Vag cars as daily runners etc over the comming years..

Not a Dubber myself, but a BIG Karmann fan, well at least as far as all their type 53s are concerned :-) I have all 3 incidentally :-)

Tempest

i like pussy and Austin Allegro's dont need to have the label of a dubber to have the love!

i wouldnt say im a true dubber yet..but im on my way, only ever owned vws, 1 mk3, 1 mk2 gti and now my rado! id love an audi at some point though! .i cant really see myself driving anything but something VAG but who knows!

My first car was a Beetle although it never made the road, not with me anyway as it was bought as a mistake (too much rust) when I was still 16 in 1980. I'm a biker at heart, guess that's why I got into Hillman Imps cos tuned they reved like bikes and you get addicted to the sound of 9,000+ rpm! After loads of Imps I had a Mini Cooper, classic but not as much fun as a 1040 Imp.

I remember when the Mk1 GTIs came out and I was very tempted to go back to VW but my dad had a Cav SRi and I loved it so bought an Astra GTE Mk1. That got nicked and I tried to convince my wife we'd have a Mk2 GTI but she wanted another GTE so we got a Mk2. When she wrote that off (reads well doesn't it?) we had a Golf courtesy car and she was sold, the first Corrado, G43 KUH a blue pearl 1.8 valver was purchased within weeks, December 95.

Bought my VR in 2000 and still have it, also had a few GTIs over the years and now I've got an S3. My daughter will be 17 this summer so there'll be a Polo on the drive for her soon.

Does that make me a Dubber or just old?

Im a v.a.g enthusiast,love a nice golf/rocco/jetta/polo/lupo/audi of any kind etc etc...i just hate corrado's (g60's)...i think they are possibly the worst car that vw ever produced,and im going to replace it with something more reliable/more powerfull/better handling/more practical/and easier to work on/and with more for the money as a standard car...

My old mk1 gti is my pride and joy and i cant wait to carry on with the project,still have the minty sportline in the family which i just sold,and the concours mk1 gti (50k miles from new)

Neil.

Had a couple of none-VW cars in my time, but wouldn't buy a none VAG car now. True dubber? Probably!

I'm not bothered as to whether i'm considered a true dubber or not. Thats probably why I don't cross post on many VAG forums, just this one or other Corrado specific forums. I don't "get" the really old stuff tbh, including stuff like camper vans and whatnot.. the only sign you've been to an aircooled show is the sight of a camper van broken down at the side of the road when you're on your way home! :)

That said I appreciate VW's of all years and to be honest would rarely consider purchasing a car outside of the VAG range these days. To each his own and all that. The Corrado is what got me into VAG and whilst its still my favourite VW bar none (despite it actually being designed and built by Karmann!) I care for VW far more than I do any other brand!

I'm definately a petrol head and I like to think a relatively diehard dubber.. just a more modern one, and not an old school one :)

my previous cars where

1971 bond bug

1987 vauxhall ashtray

1989 mk1 toymota mr2

and then the corrado, i honestly think i will only ever own vw's from now on and i try to get to as many of the vw shows as i can,

my mates cars include a charged vr corrado, 2 mk1 cabriolets, a mk3 vr, mk2 gti, 1962 split screen camper, jetta gti, and an audi UR quattro so all my mates are into vw's as well

but i still dont think of myself as a "dubber", i just like the way vw's drive and i like the atmoshpere at most of the shows,

i think to truely qualify as a dubber you need to have owned at least 1 aircooled vw and i would love to own a splitty one day but the price they go for i cant see that happening in my lifetime.

i just hate corrado's (g60's)...i think they are possibly the worst car that vw ever produced,and im going to replace it with something more reliable/more powerfull/better handling/more practical/and easier to work on/and with more for the money as a standard car...

:shock: Riley, why the hatred for them now? I'd have said in response that they're a) up to 18 years old and like any car that age are not as reliable as newer cars b) partly down to age again but lend themselves well for modding c) they're quite nimble and well balanced, dated technology but certainly not bad. not rwd/awd though... d) its a coupe! e) they're comparatively basic, not sure why this is listed f) being a car thats had their depreciation value pretty much level out and they can bought for chips, i'd say you can buy a lot of car for little money....

Anyway, to the original topic, you're right, I'm not a dubber, like someone earlier said, I'm more of a german car enthusiast. Don't particularly like jap cars though appreciate them for what they are, but i'd own something from outwith the vag family if its what i fancied in the future. Its sometimes easier to stick with what you know though

i just hate corrado's (g60's)...i think they are possibly the worst car that vw ever produced,and im going to replace it with something more reliable/more powerfull/better handling/more practical/and easier to work on/and with more for the money as a standard car...

:shock: Riley, why the hatred for them now?

Mines just been a knightmare from day one Leon :(

I remember when i first came on here...after id just bought the rado,and i was gobsmacked at the amount of common problems that they have...remember it very well because ever since that day it has rung true :(

I know they are old cars and can have typical problems as such,but my mk1 is 22 years old...and i never had one single issue with it,apart from when i blew the original engine up 8) and when i did,it was so easy and simple to throw the weber 45 breathing 16v lump in,and it ran perfect until i took it off the road.

The corrado on the other hand...well for a start,a supercharged engine only producing 160 brake,its crap :? But what should we expect from a bloody 1920's??? design?

The electrics are crap,the wipers are crap,the lights are crap,they have some seriously bad engineering designs,heaters are crap,heater cables are crap,all the dash switches are crap,door handles are crap,sunroofs/spoilers/dials/rear brakes are a crap design/ar$e holes to work on...i just cant believe how bad they are :lol: Seriously though im actually dissaointed that ive realised this...

For the same money im going for a 95 car with 280 brake,4wd,air con,leather...and thats all standard and reliable.No lighting/leccy/problems or big list of common faults...

Sorry guys,ive just seen the light... :(

Riley IIRC your 2 main problems with the Corrado came about because of electrical items that you fitted incorrectly causing the problems and making them hard to diagnose. Of course they are challenging they are getting older but keep things in perspective.

Sorry Riley.. thats a nonsense post. You've had a few problems with your car so its now one of the worst cars ever made? Come on!

For the time the G60 was a meaty engine - in fact it was often remarked how impressive it was that they'd gotten 160BHP from a 1.8 8v litre engine. Bear in mind the shiny new VR6 "only" managed offer up 20% more BHP from a nearly 60% increase in engine capacity. I think its only because we've been spoilt with the powerful 1.8T and 2.0FSI-T engines from VW in recent years that the G60 looks decidedly dated but you've gotta take it in the right context!

The rear brakes suck but they're just from the MK2 so no better or no worse than other VW models of the time. The spoiler - whats up with that? My 175k car's spoiler still works with no intervention from me or the previous owners? Sounds like a pretty robust design to me?

I respect your opinion mate but I don't agree with it in the slightest!