Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

Gaz suspension

been trying to put of getting some new suspension, but sod it, the missus will have to kill me (again) i have had enough of my FK AK's, so been looking at some top adjustables. the Gaz shocks seem to be very well built, and by all reports better than spax/bilstein, and some say on par with koni??

anybody got some fitted?? or driven a car with them on??

this place does them or £350 for the complete kit delivered,

mahoosive link shortened

cheers

karl

Put Gaz Coilovers on! Althought they do cost a pretty packet!!!

Otherwise get a lower cost set of Coilovers such as FK Silverline X's. Personally I don't think I'd ever have "normal" suspension on the C again!

Kev (cheesewire) is running Gaz Gold coilovers and I'm picking my car up tomorrow from Stealth having had the same kit fitted. I'll let you know what I think.

Gaz are becoming increasingly popular in TVR circles and now that they have a kit for the Corrado (down in part due to Kev blazing the path) I can see this becoming more popular.

You're right though, they are expensive - you're not going to get much change out of £1k inc VAT (although I was fortunate to be able to get a discount on that)

I have a set for my Mk2 but I haven’t fitted them yet, still staying with my Weitec Hicon TX's. I wasn't that impressed with the build quality though but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and my pudding is gathering dust on the shelf.

cheers guys, i cant stretch to coilovers this time :( but i think £350 deliverd, for a set of top adjustables, with springs is a good price.

so will probably order a set soon.

karl

Gaz are becoming increasingly popular in TVR circles and now that they have a kit for the Corrado (down in part due to Kev blazing the path) I can see this becoming more popular.

Haha - beat me to it Jonrb. The Gaz Shocks ad in this months TVR Sprint mag points to http://www.absolutelyshocks.com/

I've been running the Gaz setup for just over a week now, which is granted a short time but long enough to form an opinion, I hope.

So far my feeling is that the primary ride is an improvement over the Koni TA/H&R setup I had before with the Gaz coping far better with potholes, recessed drains and the like. However, secondary ride is far worse - far more rumble and NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness).

As you would expect from 2-way + height adjustable coilovers, there is a lot of tuning to be done so I reserve final judgement until I have played with the settings some more but right now I am seriously considering returning to a new or reconditioned version of my Koni/H&R setup simply because of the secondary ride and NVH.

If you're looking for ultimate handling and adjustability, then the Gaz are undoubtedly brilliant and someone may pick up a bargain if I choose to sell mine on.

I've been running the Gaz setup for just over a week now, which is granted a short time but long enough to form an opinion, I hope.

So far my feeling is that the primary ride is an improvement over the Koni TA/H&R setup I had before with the Gaz coping far better with potholes, recessed drains and the like. However, secondary ride is far worse - far more rumble and NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness).

As you would expect from 2-way + height adjustable coilovers, there is a lot of tuning to be done so I reserve final judgement until I have played with the settings some more but right now I am seriously considering returning to a new or reconditioned version of my Koni/H&R setup simply because of the secondary ride and NVH.

If you're looking for ultimate handling and adjustability, then the Gaz are undoubtedly brilliant and someone may pick up a bargain if I choose to sell mine on.

Are you on same set up as kev, Im sure kev choose softer springs.

Are you on same set up as kev, Im sure kev choose softer springs.

Yes, I am running exactly the same setup as Kev, although my car is much more standard than his and also has a different weight distribution as I don't have all the stuff in the boot that he has (water tank, amps, etc.)

I'm also on standard VR6 15" wheels at the moment.

And we all have different tastes and expectations from suspension as well, of course. :)

I ran Gaz coilovers on my 5 turbo for 3 years,and they are a well made product,with excellent after sales service.....i bought them second hand,and they were leaking......some noddy had used mole-grips on the damper rod,presumably when either fitting or removing the top mounts,which of course did a fine job of wrecking the seals....but Gaz had no problems at all with fully re-conditioning them,for a very reasonable £30 a corner,with a turn-around of just over a week.....which i personally thought was very good!

I'm currently running FK Koni's on the 'rado though.....and do feel they are a much better ride than the Gaz's......though it's hardly a fair comparison as they are such vastly different cars....but perhaps this offers some sort of insight into both the high quality of their products and service

.....my opinion for what it's worth!! :wink:

mates got them on a Mk1, i dont see what all the fuss is about

You wouldn't unless it's slammed to the floor and doesn't have a Koni sticker on it :lol:

I'm currently running FK Koni's on the 'rado though.....and do feel they are a much better ride than the Gaz's......though it's hardly a fair comparison as they are such vastly different cars....but perhaps this offers some sort of insight into both the high quality of their products and service

.....my opinion for what it's worth!! :wink:

I've always rated the FKs on the VR6 for ride quality, but where they fall short compared with the Gaz is they're quite bouncy on the limit of travel and the bump settings FK chose are a little harsh for towns with brittle roads.

It's the Gaz Gold 2 way adjustables I am referring to, I don't have any experience of the cheaper Gaz kits so can't comment on those.

It's the Gaz Gold 2 way adjustables I am referring to, I don't have any experience of the cheaper Gaz kits so can't comment on those.

They were'nt that cheap to be honest,£400-ish as i remember,and only the fronts are adjustable platform on the 5 as it's a torsion bar set-up at the rear (ah yes!!!,the joys of rolling around for hours on yer back,beating siezed up torsion bars into submission!).They were also adjustable for both damping and rebound also.

They were'nt that cheap to be honest,£400-ish as i remember

Cheap is a relative term. The Gaz Gold setup that Kev is referring to and that he and I are both running retails for nearer £1000 inc VAT.

well after loads of time on internet (no surprise there) finally got my new suspension fitted 8) Koni TA's with KW springs. and my findings are???

bloody great, soooo comfy. got them set about halfway on softness on the front, and about quarter softness at the rear. its like driving standard suspension for comfyness, but the turn in is really really good. i will be playing with the firmness later, but so far very happy.

karl

they sit abit lower Rob, but only about 5mm. looks better/handles much better. good result i say :)

I have experience of Koni TA and H&R springs, but not Koni TA and KW springs. I wonder how they compare?

When I had Koni TA and H&R I found that the secondary ride was excellent and the primary ride was a little crashy, particularly at low speeds.

Ironically the Gaz Gold setup I have now is precisely the opposite.