Sign in to follow this  
zak

Which coilovers for ride quality

I know the topic of which coilovers has been discussed many times before but usually there is not much emphasis put on the ride quality, My VR's a daily driver so the quality of the ride is important to me.

In my shortlist i have KW variant 1, KW variant 2, H&R's and koni coilovers.

Does anyone have any experiance/opinions on these? i had a set of koni coilovers on my old valver and was suitably impressed. I would go for the konis but after reading the comments kevhaywire has made on H&R's in some of his previous threads im tending towards those now

One the forum i can't really find much said about how kw's ride and if there is any difference in ride between the two variants.

are there any others that i have missed?

I had KW Variant 2 on my old MK2 GTI 16v and would definately recommend them. The ride quality was very good and being stainless they dont corrode like most. The Bodies are made by KW and the shocks are Koni. Ill be getting them again when i get a Corrado! What do you have on now as your car looks quite low on your sig?

i had fk's but they were shot so im on standard suspension at the moment. The pic in my signature was taken back in september last year.

my FA Koni;s have superb ride quality, best after market ride quality I've ever had, but I can also firm them up if needs be for track daying.

fyi, I've also had stnd. Koni's, FK coil's, spax, g-max erm.....and a few other I cant remember, over the years on various cars.

are your Koni's coilovers?

my FA Koni;s have superb ride quality, best after market ride quality I've ever had, but I can also firm them up if needs be for track daying.

fyi, I've also had stnd. Koni's, FK coil's, spax, g-max erm.....and a few other I cant remember, over the years on various cars.

is that the ride height yo use daily in your sig?

As mentioned already ive had Konis before on my 2.0 16v C and i was impressed, thought id try something different if there was better available.

yes m8 it is.

Unfortunatly I havnt got any more pics at the moment, the ones I did have I forot to save when I upgraded me PC to vista. I'll get some more soon tho......

I just fitted KWV1's and I love them. Had avo's on my MK1 and they were poo compared to the kw's. Got mine running very low and the ride is firm but not back breaking and ride feels very controlled even over big compressions.

After having fitted Koni coilies on my C (G60) a few weeks ago, I had the chance of finding out how harsh they can be by passengering in C.Will's mental VR6 turboed ex-G60 Rado on the way to Dubfreeze last week, when we crashed through the terrible roads in Stafford, full of potholes. Guess a tweak back on the old adjuster at the top would have made that a bit less crashy.

I haven't been able to test my setup yet, as my C is on Sorn till April.

I am quite happy with the FK Königsports on my Mk2 Storm Rocco, where it really started to shine during the 3 laps at Castle Combe during the CCGB National Day last year.

The Sachs Racing coilies on my Mk1 (sadly no longer available, specially tuned for the Ring, too, I found out recently) are definitely too harsh for daily use, but immense fun :-)

Tempest

I have KW V1 on my VR and love them. The ride is firm but not as bad as the favoured Koni shocks/H&R springs combo which I had on my previous C. The handling is superb and you can set the ride height to your liking. As a daily driver I don't think you'd have a problem.

I had Koni adjustable coilovers on my first VR6 and would absolutely recommend them to anyone.

They're expensive, but then the best always is...

Koni adjustable Coilovers, lowered to the max on the rears and abt 100mm on the front and still the ride is very OEM. I have mine set 1/2 turn from soft and have no handling issues and comfortable ride...

zak, this thread is exactly what I was wondering about.

Looking to get coilovers in the next few months but living in cambridge and with all the dodgy fen roads anything too harst would be tiring after a few miles. I was always under the inpression that coilovers + crap roads = broken back! :lol:

Anyone know the best place to get the Koni's from and fitable yourself same way as shocks and springs?

this thread is exactly what I was wondering about.

I was always under the inpression that coilovers + crap roads = broken back! :lol:

That usually is the case with rubbish coilovers, but it's advisable to try before you buy as everyone's perception of good ride quality differs massively.

Come along to a meet as there are several different kits in use by various folks.

Koni adjustable Coilovers, lowered to the max on the rears and abt 100mm on the front and still the ride is very OEM. I have mine set 1/2 turn from soft and have no handling issues and comfortable ride...

Hmmmmm.... what's that smell?

:lol:

You've done well to get the ride good with that much lowering. The standard suspension / damper travel is 6", so your travel is about 2" now :shock:

Does the nose not nod up and down? I threw my H&Rs right to the floor for a laugh a while back and apart from scraping the sump, the ride was hilarious! Cornered well cause the centre of gravity was so low though.