Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

For those with non OE bushes

the only other thing I've heard is that some polys can creak a fair bit and need regularly 'lubing' to keep them quiet.

So what are we saying exactly as im missing the point tbh, Poly are no good cos they wear quicker?

I hate the rear passive steer as it feels too loose on the back end, yes the OE bushes were worn and new would have sorted it but i still like Poly.

No, just that you dont want to fit polys to the rear beam or the front wishbone rear doughnut bush and that polys tend to bind to surrounding structure too easily.

The comparison between new and old OEM rear beam bushes is night and day, the rear beam needs to passively steer to keep the back end more predictable under high cornering loads due to its construction (changes in camber and toe are reduced with the passive steer bushes).

Well i must be a funny bugger then cos on high cornering loads its steers unpredictable to me but again that must be due to the worn bushes......?

So im really still not following it, what does the binding do, i just read it as it wears quicker due to binding, is there a laymans term available. :lol:

Well i must be a funny bugger then cos on high cornering loads its steers unpredictable to me but again that must be due to the worn bushes......?

So im really still not following it, what does the binding do, i just read it as it wears quicker due to binding, is there a laymans term available. :lol:

Defo the worn OE bushes causing the unpredictable back end, the problem with rebushing tired suspension with new poly is that it will always feel better as the old stuff was knackered.

Binding of a suspension bush is where is 'sticks' causing the suspension to move in an undesirable way under load, this wont necessarily wear better or worse than OEM stuff just cause unpredictable handling characterstics.

The OEM items are designed to provide the correct amount of play so that the wheel remains in the correct toe/camber etc under load. The problem with polys is that the way they are built makes them more prone to binding (the squeaking you get when they need lubing is a sign of the poly bush binding) than the OEM items.

Found a good article here: Suspension Upgrades

Also worth noting from an excessively lowered car perspective.

Ok so im kind of getting the grip of this, so they can work but in extreme circumstances they dont/wont.

I still dont think i have an issue with them tbh, i dont get any squeaking that i know of, yes they are noisier/transmit more vibration etc but they handle spot on to me, very predictable.

It seems if i have this right then that we all need spherical bearings, add that to the list then.

Ok so im kind of getting the grip of this, so they can work but in extreme circumstances they dont/wont.

I still dont think i have an issue with them tbh, i dont get any squeaking that i know of, yes they are noisier/transmit more vibration etc but they handle spot on to me, very predictable.

It seems if i have this right then that we all need spherical bearings, add that to the list then.

Yes to the spherical bearings but the ride is terrible and they need regular maintenance to ensure they keep working correctly.

As with all things suspension is about compromise but there are some 'performance' parts that are worse than OE bits.

if poly, nylon and solid bushes are soo bad... why have VW motorsport and many other race teams been using them for decades??

there's always a compromise to changing parts and wearing slightly quicker is quite often the outcome.

as far as rear beams are concerned OE V poly...

OE bushes have a built in amount of give (hence the stupid holes), this will make the car appear soggy (in worn cases).

Poly very much makes the car more neutral, sharper turn in, less understeer, more controllable lift off oversteer.

haven't had experience with this on a corrado but have on a couple of mk2 golfs which use the same chassis. Personally for my needs i'd pick polys every time... have chosen Poly race bushes for the 'rado from Rally designs.

So I'm just going through the process of re-bushing the front of my C... can anyone confirm that the below parts are correct for a VR? (and are they the same for all Corrados?)

Rear of front wishbone (the donut bush which is really the only one you can/should swap): 357407182B

According to ETKA, that part number is the part from the Audi TT. The R32 wishbones are completely and utterly different and don't have the donut bush.

if poly, nylon and solid bushes are soo bad... why have VW motorsport and many other race teams been using them for decades??

Probably because they'll last a season and then the suspension will be completely rebuilt - not practical for a road car. Furthermore, racing tracks tend to be smooth and free of potholes and sunken drain covers so bushes probably don't get much of a battering.

My old G60 came with poly bushes and there was a lot of play in them. I junked them and replaced everything with OE and the car felt a lot sharper coupled with a touch of front-end laser alignment. Most of our cars are used on the road for 99% if not 100% of the time and I for one would certainly prefer comfort over outright performance on Uk roads.

Probably because they'll last a season and then the suspension will be completely rebuilt - not practical for a road car. Furthermore, racing tracks tend to be smooth and free of potholes and sunken drain covers so bushes probably don't get much of a battering.

My old G60 came with poly bushes and there was a lot of play in them. I junked them and replaced everything with OE and the car felt a lot sharper coupled with a touch of front-end laser alignment. Most of our cars are used on the road for 99% if not 100% of the time and I for one would certainly prefer comfort over outright performance on Uk roads.

Exactly..

Suspension is all about compromise, unfortunately new bushes will always feel better and tighter than old worn ones so unless you have the money and time to stick a set of OE new ones and drive it for a bit then stick a full set of polys on there is no other way to compare the difference in handling etc.

Poly bushes all round on mine with about 20k miles on them including about 12 trackdays, none of the problems shown on them threads.

As for how it drives, fantastic. My opinion on bushes are that standard ones are fine on standard suspension, but as soon as the suspension is upgraded and the cornering loads increase then the standard bushes will deflect too much. So basically, if you upgrade the suspension, then upgrade the bushes, whether this is with poly ones or VT or whatever, its a good idea.

Then again if you only upgrade the suspension to make the car look better or lower it excessively and drive about like a ponce, standard bushes will be fine.

So I'm just going through the process of re-bushing the front of my C... can anyone confirm that the below parts are correct for a VR? (and are they the same for all Corrados?)

Rear of front wishbone (the donut bush which is really the only one you can/should swap): 357407182B

According to ETKA, that part number is the part from the Audi TT. The R32 wishbones are completely and utterly different and don't have the donut bush.

Dom, yep thats the part that I bought and is a direct swap for the 4 cyl wishbone bushes and I assume it's the same for the VR, the hole in the middle of the bush is smaller but the bolt fits fine so you just do away with the sleeve you get with the original setup (this part seems to be missing from the manuals and altho it shows on ETKA it's 'part number unknown')

Dom, yep thats the part that I bought and is a direct swap for the 4 cyl wishbone bushes and I assume it's the same for the VR, the hole in the middle of the bush is smaller but the bolt fits fine so you just do away with the sleeve you get with the original setup (this part seems to be missing from the manuals and altho it shows on ETKA it's 'part number unknown')

Grand, chars.

Any of you guys know how much the OE rear beam bushes are from VW?

Im going to replace mine and was thinking of using polyurethane ones but im not so sure now...I don't drive like a lunatic these days, and the roads around here are pretty bad so i think Genuine vw ones will be best.

Neil.

They are about £30 each matey + vat

Funnily enough I just bought a pair of Gen ones off eBay, the Febi ones Stealth fitted to my TDI are shot to bits and I'm starting to feel it... they've done 50k miles over 3 years so not too bad for pattern parts but hopefully the real ones will last longer (being 5 times the price!)

It wasn't you that outbid me then was it mate? :p :lol: £32?

I had to bloody well go out and hope for the best.