Sign in to follow this  
rolex

sound deadening/whats it called??

(just been looking on thw search an cant find it)

but, whats that foil/silver backed stuff you get from homebase/b+q

that can be used as deadening??

thanks

Roofing felt from B&Q.

Brownbread and dynamat are both brand names for car based sound deadening/insulation.

Roofing felt from B&Q....

think it's the 'stick on flashing strip', roofing felt would need to be nailed on :lol:

BTW, don't ever use this stuff for real building flashing, it shyite, lead flashing cut into the brickwork is far better, just don't attempt to use that for sound deadening :crazyeyes:

Yes, i think its called Aquaseal from B&Q. Use this on horizontal surfaces ONLY. Deffo NOT on the side panels. Use about 2-3 layers in the wheel well, on the rear wheel arches and under the rear bench. Everywhere else use the real stuff - i believe that the best to use is Damplifier, which you can get from Car Audio Direct. Its cheaper than Dynamat et al too.

As above - all the sound deadening products for cars (Dynamat, Skinz, Brown Bread et al) are essentially self-adhesive bitumen sheet.

Some of them have foam padding on top as well, some are thicker than others and some stick to the car better than others.

Otherwise, it's all pretty much the stuff tho.

I've got felt nails if you go the felt route :lol: :thumb right: .......dynamat extreme is the stuff pal, five times as efficient as the ordinary dynamat. I have a friend who raves about it.

I've got the thick Skinz stuff in my C - it's about 4-5mm thick.

Does the job nicely - can't hear any bass at all outside the car and very little other frequencies either...even when it's cranked up so loud that the seats are shaking 8)

some stick to the car better than others.

I'm not sure if dynamet etc have this in the instructions, but a good clean down of the the surface with meths/white spirit helps adhesion (once dry!), especially on the inside of the doors. Also rather than just pushing it on by hand get yourself one of those little wallpaper rollers designed to flatten the paper into corners, they have a roller about 4" wide which is perfect for getting loads of pressure on to the deadening to get it to stick well.

Erm, actually - don't use white spirit cos it'll make the surface slimey - use thinners or meths.

And you really want a 1-2" brass roller to get into all the nooks and crannies - the plastic ones will break cos you've got to give it a good ramming.

The secret to doing it properly is making sure the surface is clean, heating the sheet up before you stick it down and making sure it's properly stuck down in every little place it covers. If it's not stuck down properly, then it'll rattle and vibrate.

the plastic ones will break cos you've got to give it a good ramming.

mine's never broken, no matter how hard i've rammed

(you cant tell its a friday night)

Yeah, but you can ram much harder with a brass one :lol:

And yes, yes you can tell it's Friday :lol:

that roofing tape, sounds like the stuff im on about! just wanted to have a look at it to see if its worth using.

thanks for all the above :D