Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

Alfa Romeo 156 / 147 GTA 3.2 V6 - Discuss!

Guy I used to work with has had two Alfa's, first a 147 1.8TS and most recently a 156 2.0TS. Both have had no end of problems including gearbox replacement, electrical problems including window and dash-lights failure and most recetly his 156 blew the head-gasket.

That said, yes, the V6 engine does sound quite horny........

Guy I used to work with has had two Alfa's, first a 147 1.8TS and most recently a 156 2.0TS. Both have had no end of problems including gearbox replacement, electrical problems including window and dash-lights failure and most recetly his 156 blew the head-gasket.

That said, yes, the V6 engine does sound quite horny........

I'm sure we could cover every single make of car with such tales of woe and sorrow mate. I'll start.........

I've got this VW corrado that's had.......

New engine

New this

New that

Etc

I also had a VW golf VR6 that had........

One fella's experience isn't going to put me off what felt like a very solid, well made car to me :)

If I wanted reliable I would get a honda - but that also means absolutely zero charm or fun in my book.

I've definately decided it's the car for me mate. So much nicer (imo) than anything else i've tried. I've come to the conclusion that I like the feel of a big heavy v6 up front - I think thats what felt wierd about the S3.

Just need to find the right one. There are two i need to go and have a look at - one of them's only got 37k on the clock! :)

You getting rid of the Corrado?

Not sure if i can mate.

Gonna sell some of the expensive bits and keep the rest for a while and make up my mind. I've always wanted to strip it out, cage it up and turn it into a road legal track car :)

love the look & sound of those Alfa's, interiors are pretty cool too always remind me of a pocket Ferrari!

at my friends wedding last year on his farm in kent, his brother had a new shape GT and we spent a good deal of time oggling it, had this wicked tan Momo leather interior looked superb!

My brother has a 3.2 GT. Lovely car, but to be honest I prefer the 156 GTA. It's a more agressive shape.

And it's got 10 more horsepower! :)

Well looks like i've found the right car...

Silver 2003 156 GTA with 37k on the clock. Black leather with grey inserts. Electric everything. Bose, etc. Really minty other than a few stone chips.

Going to buy it tomorrow but may have to wait 2 weeks! :(

God I hope I'm not mad buying an Alfa!!

Nah your not mad Will, just a petrol head like the rest of us!

Looks wicked tbh, a lot of nice details in those Alfa's they way they conceal the rear door handles etc & that interior is lovely. 8)

Must admit you've got me thinking about a 147 GTA as a replacemnt for my daily driver (the VR's a fun car for the weekends these days), been sniffing around a few Alfa forums trying to get some more info on them.

Do you know what size brembo's yours comes with as keep reading quite a few of the 147 & 156 GTA have had their fronts upgraded from 305mm to the 330 discs and callipers, in some cases for free by the dealer as in some cases (far from all tbh) the original 305mm discs were warping.

Alex

Nah your not mad Will, just a petrol head like the rest of us!

Looks wicked tbh, a lot of nice details in those Alfa's they way they conceal the rear door handles etc & that interior is lovely. 8)

Must admit you've got me thinking about a 147 GTA as a replacemnt for my daily driver (the VR's a fun car for the weekends these days), been sniffing around a few Alfa forums trying to get some more info on them.

Do you know what size brembo's yours comes with as keep reading quite a few of the 147 & 156 GTA have had their fronts upgraded from 305mm to the 330 discs and callipers, in some cases for free by the dealer as in some cases (far from all tbh) the original 305mm discs were warping.

Alex

I started off wanting the 147 mate, but when you compare them the 156 comes out on top in my books. Better looks, slightly nicer interior, better weight distribution and 200 quid less to insure!! Wierd.

The one i'm getting has the 305 brakes. They changed them some point in 2003. I've tried both, and didn't notice a great deal of difference in normal driving. I also think the one i tried with 330's had warped discs, which is why they changed from the 305's in the first place!

Aparently about 600 quid for the bits to upgrade.

Nice one Will, glad you went for it in the end! Looks like a bloody nice car! Get LOADS of pics when you get it including some of the gorgeous interior and engine bay 8)

Noooooooooo! I've got to be happy with 250 bhp for at least a year or so! :)

Will put some pics up after the agonising wait is over :(

I reackon you'll crack & Rotrex it in under 6 months!!! :lol:

Noooooooooo! I've got to be happy with 250 bhp for at least a year or so! :)

Hmmm, not sure about the charger but look at this mate!

This one has been bored out to 3.8 litres!!!! :shock:

Aparently it can be taken out to 4.0!! 8)

That looks bloody mahoosive Will!!!

methinks you could have some serious fun with that beastie, i wanted one before i saw that photo, think thats just convinced me!

(goes off to consult bank balance and cry :( )

Hmmm, not sure about the charger but look at this mate!

This one has been bored out to 3.8 litres!!!! :shock:

Aparently it can be taken out to 4.0!! 8)

I'm totally in love with it Alex. I can't quite believe how fast it is - so deceptive due to being about a third the volume of the rado! :)

yeah that engine just looks the absolute dogs boll**ks!!!!! i want one now arrrrgggghhhhhhh

I'm totally in love with it Alex. I can't quite believe how fast it is - so deceptive due to being about a third the volume of the rado! :)