Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

Alfa Romeo 156 / 147 GTA 3.2 V6 - Discuss!

It'll break within twenty minutes, I'm utterly sick of hearing about problems with them.

*grumpy and cynical, despite the fact they are, admittedly, gorgeous*

And he drives a Corrado!

Admittedly the rest of his vehicle collection is made in Japan, so won't break down ever.

Spent last night thrashing a Brera round the streets and it took all the punishment I could hand out without a single issue....

Mind you it was on my PS3! :lol:

One of the director at my old company had a 159 with the 200hp dismal engine in it as a lease car... he sent it back after 6 months and several electrical problems...

His attitude was "well I've got owning an Alfa out my system"....

He opted to replace it with a Goof Plus and last I heard he'd orded a Red Goof GTi with all the toys.....(not that I'm jealous! noooo)

the 147 are meant to better than the 156, colleague had a 156 and was really chuffed with it, no probs and fit as fook with the quilted leather and general interior niceness

I imagine there will always be niggles - but thats part of the hobby factor, downright problems I guess would be few n far between but well documented, get on an alfa forum and get the dirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dF5_Nov ... ed&search=

Listen to that!!! :)

(the bloke is lame, but you get the idea)

I'm going to see a tasty looking 156 GTA tomorrow.

Silver

02 reg

47,000 miles

1 owner and FARSH (I figure it's unlikely to be a 'friday afternoon' car if the same owner has kept it from new)

Just had cambelt service

Full black heated electric leather

All lectrics, bose system, climate etc

Big brake upgrade (factory)

12 months/20,000 warranty

£11,500!!! Bargain :)

I'd take the alfa over the s3 any day, but then again i am an "engine" kind of guy 8)

Yeah me too mate. That's how I started looking for an S3 and have ended up at an alfa GTA :)

Whats the latest looking mean Alfa coupe?

Bloke at work is thinking of gettin one, £300 a month on this finance thing he's on, hmmmm

In answer to the previous question, nearly every Alfa I've heard of being sold (and I know of a few, I don't do them anymore) has come back with faults, and usually serious ones. Nearly every model, nearly every engine, ranging from gearboxes through to bits falling off it.

The only one I'll touch is the 3L GTV, purely because they sound so utterly utterly gorgeous.

They don't sound quite as good as the 3.2 GTA's but each to their own I guess.

I have to say though mate, what you're talking about is heresay. I want to know what really goes wrong - ie, electrics, ARB's, etc. Stories from actual owners.

Skinnyman - the Brera? I hate that car! Big, ugly pig that weighs about 1.8 tonnes and has the fattest a*se ever designed! Yuk :(

Well I've had my new 159 for almost 6 months and I've had an issue with the brake master cylinder being faulty, which is about to be replaced under warranty. But that is pretty much it. The phone system is a bit echoey but they are going to look into that!!

Yes the Alfa's do have faults, but really for the the looks and driving experiance I can get over it!!!!!!!!!

It's all part of owning an italian car, just like the italian women (yes I've been there!!) they are tempremental!!!

Lol, you think Italian women are tempremental? I married a Greek! No competition!

Is there any way I can contact Alfa to see if a car has had loads of warranty claims?

Lol, you think Italian women are tempremental? I married a Greek! No competition!

Is there any way I can contact Alfa to see if a car has had loads of warranty claims?

Yeah I'll give you that one!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you can try contacting them, but don't know what they would be able to show you, I imagine it will be much like VW where they can call up the service history.

Meanwhile, at your BMW dealer you just drop the ignition key in the ash tray on the service desk and it reads all the error codes and engine history from the KEY itself!

Now that's a nice customer service trick.

I suppose you also have to think about the depreciation as alfas tend to lose money and never stop losing money. Well the older ones certainly did anyway. But then every car loses money, so you might as well lose money on a gorgeous car :lol:

The sound of the GTA is awesome! Definately worth getting just for that and the interiors alone :lol:

Have you thought about an M3 or something Will?

yes mate, but just too obvious for me tbh. common as muck ;)

LOL, didn't have you down as a tart Will, we live and learn :wink:

I reckon with the ammount of abuse you seem to give your motors you might have a few probs with an Alfa, allthough I have to admit i'd rather the alfa than an S3.

As Clarkson said (many times): "if it were my money I'd be on my way to the VW/Audi dealer to buy the sensible Golf/A3 and wind up driving to the Alfa dealer instead ..."

So why are we all driving old VWs then?

LOL, didn't have you down as a tart Will, we live and learn :wink:

I reckon with the ammount of abuse you seem to give your motors you might have a few probs with an Alfa, allthough I have to admit i'd rather the alfa than an S3.

lol :)

TBH i've heard that the GTA engine's are strong. Read a few bits on over-fuelling when remapped, but I wouldn't touch it if I got one.

The thing is, for me the engine is about 80% of what I love about my rado. Goes well. Sounds amazing, etc. So i just don't think a 1.8T is gonna do the job whatever i do to it, so the S3 is looking less and less likely.

Probably :)

I would much prefer a big blinging awesome sounding v6 motor especially a refined italian v6 motor over a 1.8T. Granted the 1.8T engine is superb but i just dont like small engines pushing loads of power, seems harsh! My mate has the 1.8T A3 and it sounds so dull!

Plus you open the engine bay on the alfa and get greeted with a B-E-A-UTIFUL v6 engine, where as pop the hood on an S3 and you see a big plastic cover :wink: :lol:

There's a chap in the unit opposite where I work who rather enjoys giving his 147 GTA some chunky over run from 50-60mph in 3rd every morning.

That V6 is totally gutural and menacing....it's how V6s should sound. The VR6 sounds pathetic and weedy by comparison, although the VR has never had a particularly good engine note anyway...imo.

His looks brilliant too. It's pale blue/grey metallic running on black 18" Team Dynamics ProRace 2s and lowered. The combo of blue, black wheels and red Brembos looks fruitin hard as nails......

There's only that and the MK5 GTI that interest me currently, hatch wise....

Last chance to enjoy that V6 Doubles mate, it's the last PROPER alfa engine. The current V6s are GM sourced and not half as sexy looking or sounding.

There's a chap in the unit opposite where I work who rather enjoys giving his 147 GTA some chunky over run from 50-60mph in 3rd every morning.

That V6 is totally gutural and menacing....it's how V6s should sound. The VR6 sounds pathetic and weedy by comparison, although the VR has never had a particularly good engine note anyway...imo.

His looks brilliant too. It's pale blue/grey metallic running on black 18" Team Dynamics ProRace 2s and lowered. The combo of blue, black wheels and red Brembos looks fruitin hard as nails......

There's only that and the MK5 GTI that interest me currently, hatch wise....

Last chance to enjoy that V6 Doubles mate, it's the last PROPER alfa engine. The current V6s are GM sourced and not half as sexy looking or sounding.

:shock: oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god :shock:

I've just driven a 156 GTA! Fookin amazing! I absolutely love it! :)

I have to say I'm pleasantly suprised - it's much nicer/better than I expected.

It drives lovely, steers nicely, nice firm ride but good damping still.

The interior is even better than it looks, and I have to say it seemed just as well built as the 4motions and S3's I've looked at. Very solid feeling, as was the whole car. No squeaks or rattles etc.

The seats are gorgeous and really comfortable.

And the engine note!! :twisted:

Really nice N/A power delivery - smooth as fek and more and more manic as the revs rise.

Think I've found my next car!! :)