Sign in to follow this  
jack

What Oil

VW's own Synta Silver, with a genuine VW oil filter. Buy them from your friendly local VW dealer :)

yep this is what we use. its the 10/40 semi synthetic and definitely use a proper vw dealership filter.

GSF no longer sell Synta and most dealers will beat the price that they used to sell for...

Strange, i got some last week, must be phasing it out..

Thanks for the replys :D big help. Going to visit my local VW dealer by the loks of it

i didn't want to post another thread so will post here

i've been using syntha silver in my VR, but saw some high oil temps (122) recentely so spoke with an oil guy who told me this (copy n paste job)

"Oh dear, you really need a fully synthetic oil to withstand those temps - with an ACEA rating of A3, min, ideally A4. The "mineral" content in semi-synthetic lubes breaks down at high temps, turning to solid carbon, and then blocks the oil strainer in the sump. It was this very problem which caused the 1.8 20vt sludge issues!

Even with an oil cooler, the actual oil temps in the bearings will still be effing high.

The over 140deg C is for fully synthetic oils only, semis can only usually withstand upto about a max of 120deg C (depending on the brand and quality). If it only reached 122dec C for a very short period (one or two minutes), you should be OK. If this was sustained for five minutes or more, I'd strongly recommend draining, changing the filter, and filling with fully synth."...

can anyone agree with this, should i start using a fully synthectic?

Oilman is the chap to answer that, but personally I'd be using Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 if you're getting those kind of temps.

Yep, 10-50W seems the perfect weight for FI applications etc...

Halfords are currently doing BOGOF on there own brand stuff - not used it yet but they do a PD oil and also a 10-50 Trackday oil!

Some would argue (Americans usually) that the 50 weight creates too much high rpm drag and therefore reduces hp, but I personally think it doesn't make a difference worth losing sleep over. BMW have their own M engine specific 10W/60 'Edge', so extra viscosity is obviously their to reduce high rpm consumption with drag being a minimal side effect....

Yeah I've seen Halfords range of performance oils. I wonder who makes them? If it's castrol, I might hoover up all the BOGOF 10/50s :lol:

Yeah - I don't think it's castrol unfotunatly looking at the packaging...

You know Synta is made by Castrol becuase the bottles are the same and the helpline phone number is almost the same...

That oil is 31.99 for 5 ltrs so it's ok on bogof but not exactly a baragin considering we don't know how good it it... PD oil is the same price... might get one of each to try as I have no oil at all in stock :lol:

Oilman is the chap to answer that, but personally I'd be using Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 if you're getting those kind of temps.

thats good enough recommendation for me, is due a service soon so i'll get the lot changed, will it need to be flushed out?

I've never bothered flushing when switching oils but some people do this though:-

Dump the old oil

Pour in half capacity of your new oil

Run engine for 10 mins so the two types of oil mix together

Drain and refill with full capacity of you new oil

It's debateable whether doing that does any good, or just wastes your time and money. As I say, I've never been that anal about oil changes and have never had any problems. Just strikes me as a little overkill......but then again, I know of somebody who removes his wheels completely to clean them every time he washes the car :roll:

You know Synta is made by Castrol becuase the bottles are the same and the helpline phone number is almost the same...

Hi

So where does Quantum come into this picture.

It's the label on the container?! :lol: It's just a brand name.

The motor industry is highly insestous. Nearly all manufacturers of oils, brakes, components etc make parts for multiple brand names.

thread revival!!!! :lol:

sorry, just wondering if 5w-40 fully synthetic will be ok for a VR? just been to Hellfrauds and they've got own brand on BOGOF and need to do a oil change.

Did ask the guy on the desk (risky i know!) and 5w40 was coming up on there computer as the fully synth option for the VR6 but i thought i'd check with you guys first.

Hmm i'm concerned now, i just put mobil 1 super syn 0w-40 in mine as it'll be due another oil change before winter so it was just intended for summer use really and thought this'd be the best for the job... i know oil technology has come along way and you can run the same oil in summer and winter comfortably but is it not better to have a an oil in there more suited to conditions? besides as long as you let the car warm up even in winter wouldnt a lower w rating still do the job?

You should be fine in this country - it doesn't really get all that cold.

I might be a bit concerned if you lived in Norway tho...

well i wasnt planning on driving to the slopes this year so i think i'll be safe.. cheers dom

Anyone know how much the VW dealership charges for a 5L tub of 10W40 semi synth?

And what about the FUCHS branded stuff that GSF are selling? Is it approx the same?