Sign in to follow this  
VRev6

How fast have you had out of your standard VR?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had the claimed top speed of 146mph (i think) out of there standard VR? mine is fine up to 130mph (on a private road) but then seems to take an age to get to get near 140 and i end up running out of road? does anyone else find this? :D

well i saw 130 (on a private road) yesterday with ease only engine mods are a k&N induction and full stainless exhaust did'nt go for the top cos it needs a service and oil change but like i say 130 at 5000rpm not bad for 10 years old and 119000 miles and i have no doubt at all by the way she got there that 150 is within in reach :D

I've had 140 from mine (private road obviously) felt good at the time quite smooth, 150 is definatley possible :D

I've just had a cat by pass and stainless magnex fitted but havent had the chance to go for its top speed. does a cat bypass and stainless zorst make alot of a differnce to top speed cos it does feel a little quicker at low speeds?

from what everyone has said, looks like i'm gonna have to find me a private road this weekend!!! :D

mines a cat bypass magnex too and i would'nt say it makes a huge difference possibly one or two mph, for me anyway, it :D has improved the free-ness across the rev range and obviously the noise is'nt bad either

A friend of mine made record time from Coventry to London once in his VR6, nailing it pretty much the whole way at over 120MPH, and up to an indicated 150MPH on and off throughout the drive. This was a few years ago, and at like 2am though.. I think it took him something stupid like 45 minutes!

The VR can certainly do some impressive speeds.. I could never see myself driving at that kind of pace though!

mines a cat bypass magnex too and i would'nt say it makes a huge difference possibly one or two mph, for me anyway, it :D has improved the free-ness across the rev range and obviously the noise is'nt bad either

i have been impressed with the magnex sounds great and looks great too. Suits the car perfectly! :D

I've seen 145 come up on the dial on my old VR Storm, but I've managed to see 152 on my CBR600. Oh the joy of private roads.

I must look up the reg of my old Storm to see if one of you guys is taking care of her. I know it was N183 but I can't remember the last part (old age). I sold it back in 1998/9 after three glorious years of ownership. (and before you pick me up on my maths... I was the second owner).

Just a quick question (probably a stoopid one : :silly:) for those that have...

...what's the difference in top speed achieved between using 4th gear and 5th gear? Am I right in saying that you can't reach the redline in 5th?

just curious...

DtM.

Don't take any notice of the speedo. Mine was reading 146mph, but when I got pulled the copper said I was only doing 132.35mph.

No lie, I just got my licence back yesterday! (and treated myself to a Corrado on the same day too).

when i was in the states last year i stayed with a guy who has a VR6 with a chip. we took it out to the long yanky roads at about 3 am and video'd from inside and out at 160mph!!!!! still felt smooth even at that speen though

please jedi-knight83 post the video... BUT :?

when i was in the states last year i stayed with a guy who has a VR6 with a chip

errrrrr :? :? :? don't american corrados have 140mp on the clock if so how did you see 160....... must of been well past the dial.... :? :? :?

Trying to catch a ferry back from France in my standard VR I was mirror to mirror with a mate in his 330i at an indicated 147mph for about 15min. The car was rock solid and my passenger and I were able to hear eachother without shouting. I then noticed the a/c was on, switched it off and the needle started to creep up before a truck on a bend meant leaning on the middle pedal.

Back in the UK I then got nailed for momentarily doing 43 in a 30 - argh!

don't american corrados have 140mp on the clock

We used my iPaq GPS system which gives an acurate speed reeding. Dont remember looking at the speedo myself to be honest.

please jedi-knight83 post the video

video was on an only Hi8 camera so not on the pc im affraid.

No private roads near me so, I haven't tried for a top speed ...yet :wink:

I got 148 mph (not on a private road :twisted: ) on the way to birmingham in my old 2.8 VR6 Golf took ages to get there though, with just a K&n AN full scorpion exhaust. on attempting it before though i got to 130mph and someone pulled out on me - lucky i was wearing my rubber pants- the ABS saved me preety much and i left skid marks that must of been at least 100 metret long- wont be that silly ever again- nearly killed my self and someone else :shock:

raced a e36 bmw 328i in my dads 530d bmw on the way to birmingham (i mean private road...). i was doing over 145 and he was still all over me! only slowed down 'cause a golf mk4 pulled out in front of me! could have been messy.

Got 140 out of mine first day I got it just to see what it could do, down a roughly 2 mile stretch of dual carriageway but then came to a roundabout. Felt good for a lot more though.

ps did I mention it was a private dual carriageway? :wink:

An indicated 146 in mine. Shot up to 140 very quickly and then crept up to 146 as tyre and air friction took their toll. Felt like it had a wee bit more to go. I reckon a standard VR6 can top and indicated 150 on a slight decline.

Kev

Is there one of these private roads in london...please enlighten me

Well... there is a large roundabout (some people call it the M25) - thats the one I use!