Sign in to follow this  
Monzadave

My 91 Rado G60, 1.9 rebuild finished (no 56k)

its good see you havent lost faith mate,looks like ya really crackin on,an can't believe u got the missus cleanin stuff for ya,quality :D

Thanks for the kind words people :D

Update:

Well, i took the head and bottom end down to Auto service and spares in Exeter to get the head re-built and the bottom end honed reasy for new rings :D , only to get a phone call saying the scoring on the bores of the block were too bad for just a re-hone, and i would need to bore out the block and get new pistons :( . So after a talk with Oliver we decided to strip down the original block that was in the rado and take that down to Auto service and spares and see if it could be used instead (i don't really want to be forking out £500 on new pistons :? ).

So a free night came, and i went out to see young Oliver to get some much needed work done :D

I got out to Cotley and i set Oliver on the old block :p we put it onto the engine frame, and after taking some of my skin off Oliver undid everything and had it stripped in no time :D

CIMG0837.jpg

While Oliver was stripping the engine and didn't need someone to mangle :lol: i carried on the seemlessly endless job of cleaning lol

CIMG0836.jpg

I got the gearbox to look like this

CIMG0841.jpg

From

CIMG0817.jpg

So i was pretty happy, i just need to clean it off and paint it :D

I got bored of cleaning and couldn't be assed to paint, so i cleaned some more of the engine bay and started rubbing down some surface rust in the bay :D

CIMG0838.jpg

CIMG0839.jpg

I decided that i would need more then just my hands, so i am going to get my dads grinder to finish it off :D

Oliver had finally finished the block

CIMG0840.jpg

and called it a day

CIMG0844.jpg

And we went in for some well earned tea :D

CIMG0846.jpg

Next on the list is to get the old block cheked and hopefully honed, then contine to buy bits with the money from selling Monza :( .

Will keep everyone posted :D

Cheers

Dave

Great work again guys, your not havin much luck so far but seem to be in good spirit with it all :wink:

Personally I'd be pretty Pi**ed off havin spent that amount on what seemed to be a good car, only for this to happen 5 minutes down the road

I also find it pretty poor that the seller and fellow forum user has offered no help in the matter nor even bothered to make his own comment on the situation?

Good luck with the rest of the rebuild :)

Great work again guys, your not havin much luck so far but seem to be in good spirit with it all :wink:

Personally I'd be pretty Pi**ed off havin spent that amount on what seemed to be a good car, only for this to happen 5 minutes down the road

I also find it pretty poor that the seller and fellow forum user has offered no help in the matter nor even bothered to make his own comment on the situation?

Good luck with the rest of the rebuild :)

Agreed 100%

another update :D

Went out to see Oliver and do some more painting last night, meant to only go out for a little while and do a couple of small things, but we got a bit carried away :? lol.

I rubbed down the cleaned inlet mani and started to spray it,

17072007009.jpg

17072007013.jpg

17072007010.jpg

And ended up with this :D

17072007018.jpg

17072007022.jpg

While i was playing with the inlet, Lau primered and painted some more of the brakets and bits that are on the engine :D

17072007021.jpg

they came out pretty good i thought :D

Oliver decided to prep the engine bay for a spray by rubbing it down and spraying on some wash primer then some normal primer :D

17072007005.jpg

17072007008.jpg

17072007012.jpg

Then both me and Olly rubbed down the primer on both sides getting rid of any inperfections, then put on another layer of primer and it was ready for a coat of colour :D

17072007015.jpg

17072007024.jpg

17072007025.jpg

17072007026.jpg

It went on really well considering i bought the colour from halfords. Oliver gave it a couple coats of colour and we left it there for the night (mainly coz we ran out of paint lol).

I'm getting some laquor today and shoudl be able to give the bay a couple coats sometime this week :D .

Keep watching for more updates :D

Cheers

Dave

Very impressive mate!

Good luck with the rest of it and look forward to seeing it develop to completion!

Toph

Mod Edit :

DO NOT CONTACT THIS MEMBER ABOUT BUYING PARTS OR THE CAR, AS IT IS NOT HIS CAR!

Yes, it is shocking. If i wanted to spend 6k on a car i'd have bought an S2.

Mine might be going up for sale soon. Thinking about a turbo'd E36 M3 project or Sport Quattro replica.

Mine might be going up for sale soon. Thinking about a turbo'd E36 M3 project or Sport Quattro replica.

If i had the money i would buy your S2 ANY DAY mate, its fcuking gorgeous with some silly power to match!!

Oh and really enjoying watching this thread, some great progress so far! Wish i had the time/money/skill to restore a car like this! I am going to be getting an old mk1 for a uni ride soon so i am going to practise on that :D

love threads like this - as soon as i have a garage when down in edinburgh - i'll be doing this too. good stuff - keep the posts coming!

an what price we talkin on the s2?

come on dave get some more pics up,, allot more cleaning and painting has been going on and teh engine bay has now been laquered, finishing off teh engine bay painting,,

tonight i will be sorting out the wiring loom, lots of soldering heat shrinking and taping,

dave has more cleaning and degreasing to do wahoo,,

as a little treat for dave i repainted the front cross member ove rteh weekend whilst he was out galavanting

Sorry for slaking on the updates, the pics are still on the camera, but will post them up soon :D.

Lots to do tonight, was going to get somemore LP7Z paint made up and paint the charger the same colour as the car, what do people think??

Bad news on the bottom end front, the other block i sent off to be honed has too much ware in one of the bores as well :( which means i am going to have to go 83mm pistons :( . more expense but has to be done.

Will get a load of pics and a new update tomorrow :D

Sorry for slaking on the updates, the pics are still on the camera, but will post them up soon :D.

Lots to do tonight, was going to get somemore LP7Z paint made up and paint the charger the same colour as the car, what do people think??

Bad news on the bottom end front, the other block i sent off to be honed has too much ware in one of the bores as well :( which means i am going to have to go 83mm pistons :( . more expense but has to be done.

Will get a load of pics and a new update tomorrow :D

Great build up here... Let me know if you want a good price on some pistons... :)

Great build up here... Let me know if you want a good price on some pistons... :)

hehe that was nicely done ;)

Haha, cheers Darren. I have some that i got off Monkey, and i'm going to take them down to the place doing my head to see if he thinks they are useable, if not i will be giving you a call Darren.

Haha, cheers Darren. I have some that i got off Monkey, and i'm going to take them down to the place doing my head to see if he thinks they are useable, if not i will be giving you a call Darren.

Are yes, I know those pistons well...

heres a quick (late) update,

Heres some nice pics of all the parts that have been cleaned and or painted so far:

CIMG0952.jpg

CIMG0951.jpg

CIMG0950.jpg

CIMG0949.jpg

CIMG0958.jpg

Lots on there, and last night me and Lau went out to clean the rest, and i have the alt and more brakets to paint soon. Then theres just the gearbox to paint :D

The engine bay was given a lick of laquor the other night too :D

CIMG0947.jpg

CIMG0946.jpg

CIMG0960.jpg

CIMG0959.jpg

I don't have the cash to fit a front mount at the mo, so we are going to be using the original intercooler :( so we cleaned it up :D

CIMG0945.jpg

I have recently aquired (cheers monkey) some 83mm pistons that i plan to use in the bottom end due to the block having too much ware to use the original 81mm pistons. they have some damage but i have been told by the guy doing the machining that they should be ok :D but i'm getting him to have a good look at them to make sure :D .

So fingers crossed all will be ok to use and i'll get the rest of the bits i need tomorrow :D .

Will keep you all updated.

Cheers

Dave

Another update,

Went round Olivers again last night to get some more work done, remembered to bring the electrical tape this time and Oliver got to work taping up the looms so it no longer looks like spaghetti scattered across the engine bay :D

25072007031.jpg

25072007032.jpg

I had yesterday day off work to send my porsche wheels off to there new owner, so i took the alt and some brackets home to paint them up, no pics but they are ready painted in black too :D.

On my day off yesterday i went down to see scratch at auto service and spares to have a chat to hime about the pistons and the block, after a talk he said they should be fine, and he would say there would be no problems using them :) so thats good enough for me :D . So he is boring out the block for the 83mm pistons and should be done soon :D .

I also went to gsf and vw to get the last of the parts i need, spent another £150 on parts, and the pile now look like this:

25072007036.jpg

25072007037.jpg

Still need some bits though, so will be ringing around today to get them :D

Last but not least we decided to paint the charger, after have a good look at it and opening up the boost return block off plate, we could see that the green cone filter that had been run on the car had left loads of green crap inthe charger, which had made a sort of grinding paste within the charger, so we cleaned it out best we could, and threw some primer on it :D (after cleaning it first of course)...

25072007033.jpg

25072007034.jpg

25072007035.jpg

Then, we applied the top coat :D

25072007038.jpg

25072007041.jpg

25072007040.jpg

Its the same colour as the paint on the car, and it has come up awesome, should be something different for the bay :D

Thats about it, now i'm off to spend more money on parts :( lol :D

Will keep you all updated :D