Sign in to follow this  
andy

Noisy Miltek

Just fitted a Miltek cat-back system to my VR6 and I can't believe how noisy it is. Its a loud rumble at idle, really drones at 70mph. ( I mean headache inducing). It scares small animals at various points between 2k and 3k rpm. Surely this isn't normal is it? I thought Milteks were supposed to be silky smooth and only just louder than stock. Its popping a lot too. Any ideas people?

Doesn't sound right at all.

Had Milteks on 4 different cars now and although far from silent they are usually pretty civilised - correct fitting is critical, it does seem as if Milteks are not necessarily the easiest to get fitted properly.

I'd take it back and get it re-fitted.

I fitted it myself, its not leaking or knocking. Its just way louder than I expected. I didn't even bother with the sports cat I've got for it. Its fine on wide throttle, virtually silent in the car at 80mph, just very resonant at some speeds.

My Nugget G60 had a Miltek fitted when I bought it - no apparent leaks etc but it was much the same - had a really bad resonance at about 75mph, got it re-fitted by a Miltek agent and its been perfect ever since

Seems to be normal on the VR6 unfortunatly... KevHaywire had problems with his and actually had it refitted by the factory, they spent all day messing about and it was no better - unbearably boomy noise at 70-80 mph, they fitted a whole brand new system as he was still not happy but it was no different, binned it the next weekend and went back to standard.

Miltek on mine, not noisy but it does pop a bit of throttle

Seems to be normal on the VR6 unfortunatly... KevHaywire had problems with his and actually had it refitted by the factory, they spent all day messing about and it was no better - unbearably boomy noise at 70-80 mph, they fitted a whole brand new system as he was still not happy but it was no different, binned it the next weekend and went back to standard.

Yeah exactly and if Milltek themselves can't get it right, who can? To their credit they had a damn good crack at getting it how I wanted it, but couldn't. So the angle at which it's fitted is a lot of b0llocks, they tried EVERYTHING but it just boils down to the quality of the metal at the end of the day, and Milltek's isn't great for the Corrado. Look at a Milltek Audi or BMW system and they are faultless, and I have zero respect for any firm that demonstrates preferential treatment to certain markets.

The G60 is not a VR6. Different engines make different resonances.

GOOD exhausts damp it out, especially ones being marketed and sold as being quiet performers.

No doubt the "Milltek gang" will be PM'ing eachother after reading this, slagging me off again for dairing to voice my opinions on what I regard to be the most over-rated Exhaust systems on the market today.

Why would anyone slag you off for voicing your opinion - surely everyones entitled to one and no one is forced into agreeing with it

The G60 is not a VR6. Different engines make different resonances.

I am aware of this, I was making the point that re-fitting the Miltek on my car got rid of the resonance :)

I'd certainly say that giving Miltek a call and getting some guidance would be a good place to start - not had any direct experience of dealing with them so have no idea what their aftersales attitude / support is like but you'd think that they would be keen to help a dissatisfied customer

I can't read the 2 posts above on my 20" wideboy but can we all start slagging Kev off now??

I'm not sure if I want to know what you're doing with Derek...

I can't read the 2 posts above on my 20" wideboy but can we all start slagging Kev off now??

I'm not sure if I want to know what you're doing with Derek...

Blimey!

Not sure why I feel the need to type in this stupid small font aside from annoying the wideboy user..

Im really pleased with my Miltek, its not loud at all, when cold you can barely hear it but whenits warm its just a nice subtle rumble on tick over and when sitting at high speeds its almost silent until you put your foot down again and it just compliments the VR6 soundtrack. I did notice though at the last meet i went to, think it was CCGB National Day, i was talking about my miltek with someone (Faye maybe?) and we saw another corrado with a miltek and the bore of mine was smaller, the tip of the exhaust itself was identical but the other guys bore was bigger than mine, so i think thats why mine is fairly quiet. May be worth checking out.

EDIT: Click the link in my sig to view my gallery, on the first page i have some (crap quality) pics of my car when i got it and the rear shot shows how small my hole is *waits for the tiny font sizes mentioning my small hole* :lol:

My mate's got a Milltek on his Mk 3 Golf VR and it's pretty loud. He used to have a decat on it as well and that was REALLY loud. Too loud for me personally. Depends on what you're used to I guess, one persons loud drone is another's glorious roar!

Why would anyone slag you off for voicing your opinion - surely everyones entitled to one and no one is forced into agreeing with it

Indeed, but 18months or so ago when I mentioned the same thing on here as Andy did, about the booming at 3000rpm, poor fit and finish etc etc, a certain 16VG60 owner rang me on my personal Mobile to complain about posting such opinions on here. He also commented during the conversation that 'lots' of CF members had complained about my attitude and aggressive witch hunting of Milltek.

The fact this person sells, or used to sell, these exhausts and was concerned my honest appraisal would upset sales had nothing to do with the phone call obvioulsy :lol:

At the end of the day, most companies and individuals face criticism, harsh or otherwise, and if it's taken personally, quit the business and do something else!!

Anyway, I have experience of half a dozen VR6s with Millteks. 4 of them boom at 70mph. The engines were in a variety of tune, so it has to be the quality of metal used rather any character of the engine causing it. Stainless is naturally boomy when hot, especially T304 which is a very rigid metal. I suspect Milltek's pipe bore is too thin on some batches of VR6 exhausts, which is causing excessive boom when hot. The thicker the wall, the quieter it will be...but with a weight penalty. I did notice my Milltek system was unusually light for a stainless system. As Andy found, after an hour or so's worth of heat build up, the booming at 70mph was unbearable.

Also, people's perception of acceptable noise levels varies too.

I would be happy to take someone out in my car to prove mine isn't loud at all! I cant stand loud exhausts, just gets on my tits but mine is spot on, nice and quiet until you put your foot down and even then it just sounds like engine noise not loud exhaust noise. When its really hot it pops a bit more and when you rev it it sounds pretty loud but in the car it isn't.

Kev, do you know if they have these issues with valver and charged applictions?

Don't want to cough out £300+ just to sound like a Chav....

reeeeeeeeemmmm Bang! Pop! reeeeeeemmmmmm! :lol:

I've a full Miltek and Sports Cat on my Valver and and am quite happy with it. Not too loud and burbles quite nicely.

Did have to have it re-fitted and the front pipe trimmed to get it to fit properly, but that was my own fault for using my local garage and not telling him how to do it. (He's blinding on Citroen's though :lol: )

Mines not sounding Chavvy to be honest. It rumbles at idle, and makes a nice noise, its popping and crackling like good-un, its just way too loud. I could live with it on a sunday car, but I do 400 miles a week in it. Mainly at 70ish!

Same here, I do about 15-20,000 a year and have done for the past 4 years, so all my mods HAVE to be reliable and discreet / refined.

Both the subsequent SuperSprint and the current 2.5" techtnonics systems are practically silent at 3000rpm, as per stock. My Milltek was also perfect when cold, but get some heat in it and the Hyde side of it's character came out.

I tried to figure out if some VRs had a louder resonance from the engine that others, maybe old, worn engines sound different....but too many other things alter exhaust tone, such as ignition timing, fuelling etc...but not to the extent of creating excessive boom.

Leather clad interiors are also less sound absorbing than cloth, so maybe that's another factor, who knows.

The initial run of VR systems also had the hangers welded in the wrong place, but I think they fixed that.

VWDeviant - It's just the VR6 systems that have the bad rep. As mentioned before, you should look at an Audi or BMW Milltek system, or even a MK4 Golf - they are in a completely different league!!!

From what I've seen on other cars with Milteks (including my wifes Bora and my previous Leon Cupra) I'd agree on the quality variance

Also noticed that the Miltek on my Aqua G60 seemed to be a better fit than on the Nugget G60, if they are jig mounted I can't see why there should be any variance - unless of course the variance is on the car and not on the exhaust which I'd doubt.