Sign in to follow this  
peanut

vr6 auto's?

Anybody have any experiences? good or bad. What sort of power can they take before going boom. Ive heard theyre pretty unreliable to be honest but never had any first hand experiences. Have they got a sports mode? Can you map them in any way to raise the revs they change up at? Am i talking tosh ? Do penguins have knees?

Early boxes do have a sports mode but it is deleted later on.

As for reliability the workshop manual for the autobox is the next thickest after the electrical string diagrams..

Anybody have any experiences? good or bad. What sort of power can they take before going boom. Ive heard theyre pretty unreliable to be honest but never had any first hand experiences. Have they got a sports mode? Can you map them in any way to raise the revs they change up at? Am i talking tosh ? Do penguins have knees?

I've got an Auto I didn't want one but the car was too good to pass up and three years later I'm glad I've got it, when your stuck in traffic its a breeze, but if you are at the lights next to something tasty all you need to do is wack it into first on the box selector and change up to second and third as for see fit :D and the double kick down will scare the pants off you the first time you do it :lol:

Mine's still an auto and as PaulFFC says its a boon in traffic, no doubt. I want to know how to change the gearchange setpoint, i beleive there are various adaptations you can do via VAGCOM, but i dont want try to mess around with it. So far mines not been too bad, gear changes are quite okay, but due to torque converter losses if you're keeping up with something quick, you might lose out a bit at around 120-130 as its not direct drive until its in fourth. I'm getting some manual gear just in case i want to convert it at some time.

My 2p:

I wouldn't drink a £100 bottle of wine in plastic glasses. Nor would I insult a great VR6 engine with an auto gearbox.