CorradoVR6-Turbo

Ex-Corrado-VR6-Turbo.

with the foged pistons Kev,can you hear them from cold? what was your bore clearance with the Wossners?

as for the T70 that cost me £120 it works well and cant justify spending the cash on the 35r,so im getting a new T70 with a .82 ex ar to help it spool a bit sooner than the 1.02 ar ! but it works great! :grin:

and i think i need to sell the white corrado and get a "normal" car for daily driving :gag:

ah well at least you have the balls to try these things and do your own work etc. :salute:

Did you have a spacer on this engine to lower compression or is the bottom end standard?

It will be interesting to see what you find when the lump comes out. :shades:

ah well at least you have the balls to try these things and do your own work etc. :salute:

Did you have a spacer on this engine to lower compression or is the bottom end standard?

It will be interesting to see what you find when the lump comes out. :shades:

spacer plate mate 8.5.1 cr ,was going to do this method again,but untill i know what happened to it i wont buy a thing,and i probably will save the cash from the rods and buy the forged...but i will have to wait AS MY BACK IS KILLING!!!

I can't remember the exact bore clearance as Vince's machinist does each bore individually to piston size, but it was in-between stock and the JEs, so closer tolerances than most other forgees.

For the first 20,000 miles they were silent from cold and now they're just starting to sound like a stock VR6 from cold, but not quite as loud or as long. Oil consumption is really good, about the same as a healthy stock VR.

The JEs were knocky from cold on day one !

0.82 should push the spool down to 3500ish rpm, which is spot on imo :D.

Yeah, I couldn't have 2 corrados tbh, 1 is enough, LOL!

I got them through Vince mate as he had the job of building the block. Not cheap, but I think for VRTs, it's a good investment as they can take a lot more abuse than the stock pistons car :D

with the foged pistons Kev,can you hear them from cold? what was your bore clearance with the Wossners?

as for the T70 that cost me £120 it works well and cant justify spending the cash on the 35r,so im getting a new T70 with a .82 ex ar to help it spool a bit sooner than the 1.02 ar ! but it works great! :grin:

and i think i need to sell the white corrado and get a "normal" car for daily driving :gag:

James,

Sorry to hear your engine's gone pop, but I'm following all this with interest. I too have a T70 turbo and I am planning on having the exhaust side reduced in size to aid a quicker spooling. All being done in July / August. Hope your back is better soon, and you're able to get back under the bonnet soon.

thats what you get for pushing 12psi via a wron 160k block :lol:

Ouch, regarding the blown engine. At least the Turbo mani is holding up.

Was your car running stock fuel pump?

it is running stock fuel pump,there is nothing wrong with the stock pump,holds up well,it was not a fuel issue,like most of the VR owners are aware of a light piston slap from cold on a high milage engines just like mine was, but it had piston slap from cold to hot! the noise stopped for a while that i thought was unusual? and something must of happend then but i kept pushing it....as i do :tongue:

just bought a brand new 2.8 block and pistons off ebay for 399 quid ! that will save me some time :grin:

and im still off work due to my back! cant wait to get it back on road now!

it is running stock fuel pump,there is nothing wrong with the stock pump,holds up well,it was not a fuel issue,

Tell that to IBIVR! He blew his VRT running the stock fuel pump :D

I respect your skills mate, but I can't believe you're cheap skate enough to jeopordise a new engine with an inadequate fuel pump.

I run a digital fuel pressure gauge in the car and I know for a fact the Stock pump can't flow enough at the top end. You'll be capping your power potential at best, or blow the engine and worst.

I respect your skills mate, but I can't believe you're cheap skate enough to jeopordise a new engine with an inadequate fuel pump.

:lol: thats me! ive got a sytec pump,but had hassel in the green VRT fitting it,as there is early and late types of pump housings,and mine is early,it had to run more that 1/4 tank and around corners it sucked in air!!! so i want a external pump,mabey it was to lean top end? but the LC-1 said it was ok,saying that was not keeping that much attention to it....and it would have poped before the LC-1 read lean..will have to find out when i lift the head off and see if it ran lean.

Hi James,

My God we have been a busy Bee!

Funnily i still get updates of what's going on with your projects through mutual friends.

The Green one was good last i was in it so this one must feel tremendous and for what it's cost it's a credit to yourself.

Chris

totaly bummer james on the engine but i suppose its part of the learning curve if you need a hand just give me a shout mate glad to help also will be a good for when i turbo my vr6

J, did you take the box out with the engine or just the engine it's self?

I've generally taken the box out in one go 'cos always found it a real chore to try and leave the box in.

Chris

I'm enjoying reading about your tussle with this engine.

I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

Any clues as to what caused the problem?

dont know mate,the ammount of oil its spat into the inlet manifold and exhaust is quite allot,i suspect i ran lean and there will be signs of it when i pull the engine appart,then if thats the case then i will uprate my pump.

but will post up pics at each stage bud :tongue:

James you're more than able to identify and sort that, so it'll be a walk in the park for you 8)