Sign in to follow this  
swiftkid

1.8/2.0 litre bottom end

Right, firstly i apologise if this has been covered before but i had a look and couldnt find anything so here goes.

I currently have a 1.8 16v and have been told that if i put the 2.0 litre bottom end in it will straight away increase the bhp to 160-170bhp. Is this correct or am i being told fibs?

Im wanting to get my car running a little more bhp without spending a fortune at the moment. Cheers

The reason the 9A makes less power than a KR is the inlet cam profile, so it can work with a catalyst-but it makes more torque which is the real thing, unlike Bu115h1t Horse Power. Use a 9A with a KR inlet cam in a 1.8 KR Corrado and you will see roughly 150PS. Those that say 170PS+ are dreaming. I built a 2.2 KR with Kent GF1602 cams and it made 174PS on K-Jet and when I rebuilt it into an ABF block with the KR head/Kent cams and Weber Alpha 45's it made 197PS. It is possible to get 200PS from a 9A with throttle bodies and very silly cams but it makes the car a pig to drive in daily use.

The golf lads discuss this one quite a bit over at clubgti.com/forum site if your interested.

I've been doing some reasearch on such things at the mo.

Yep. Valvers are 136bhp standard.

Well this is what VW say anyway and they will always understate what it actually is. At the last RR day my completely standard 9a made 147bhp.

Yep. Valvers are 136bhp standard.

Well this is what VW say anyway and they will always understate what it actually is. At the last RR day my completely standard 9a made 147bhp.

:shock: Thats awesome!

My standard 9a, ke-Motronic with kr cam,inlet mani honed out to 43.5mm,ecu chip, modded inlet resonator is making 172ps, Davidwort on here has a 6a bottom end on k-jet with wur mod and flowed head is making 180ps, it is difficult getting more torque out of a NA 16v though

A 2L block itself won't give you much of a hike in hp, if a 1.8 is fairly healthy I'd expect around 110bhp at the wheels (make up whatever crank figure u like)

Add a flowed head to a 1.8 and you'll see perhaps 15bhp more, a 2L lump maybe another 5-10bhp.

The main thing is torque, although a 2L (1984cc) is only 11% greater in capacity over a 1.8 (1781cc) that translates into roughly the same percentage increase in torque, which really helps to make the 16v feel more punchy in the mid range.

The best comparison for hp I've seen on my 16v is from rolling road days, standard VR's giving around 145ATW, standard 1.8's around 110 and my 2L just over 130ATW

strangely that seems to translate into 200+bhp, 150 bhp and 175bhp respectively at the crank :lol: