Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Have I missed some New Rules on Motorway Driving?

Went to pick the Mrs up from East Midlands Airport on Saturday from her hols' and discovered that their must be some new rules and regulations when driving on the Motorway:-

Apparently the far lane is only for Beamers, Mercs and 4x4's, going by the reaction I got every time I moved to the far lane to overtake.

The middle lane is for people that do a constant 60-70mph who do not have the ability to move into the left lane when empty or the right hand lane to overtake when they come up to another driver in the middle lane doing the same speed.

The left lane is simply used to get off and onto the slip roads.

Looks like I definately need to brush up on the new Highway Code. :?

not quite, the left lane is for lorries up to 56mph, the middle lane for lorries with slightly out governors that can just about make it up to 58mph to overtake those doing 56, given several miles.

Have you noticed that, no matter what speed you're driving at, you're never going quite fast enough for the fast lane "regulars" ?

i usually try and keep up with them and then pi$$ em off my going into the middle lane and keeping the same speed as then that'll teach em two can play that game lol!

You must have not been on the old minty highway for years, those rules have been around for a good few years now.

I try not to let it bother me, oterwise you end up geting angry and the ingorant fool who has pi55ed you off knows nothing of it.

These help.

one day I will get a poster sized print out and plaster it over lorrys and vans at a motorway service station.

Before this job in Saudi I did 6 months commuting from Chesterfield to Kent each week in the S3. I have no time whatsoever for people who believe they receive a permit to sit in whatever lane they choose along with the keys to their company BMW, Vectra, Laguna etc. If they don't move out of my way I will pass in whichever lane I choose also. There may be a law says I cannot pass on the inside, but the law also says you move left after overtaking, there was even a news story a few months ago that UK police were to start enforcing that law although I have seen little evidence to back it up. Too many people think of the outside lane as the "fast" lane, sorry they're all "fast" lanes, they all have the same limit but some are there for overtaking the others.

Rant over, I'm in Saudi, you can pass anywhere here, even use the wide sand lane off the hard shoulder if you fancy a bit of real excitement :lol:

there was a petition which I signed about putting up more gantry signs to ask people to move over if the nearside lane was free.

I got a reply which basicaly said that it was dangerous to ask people to change lanes on our increasingly congested motorways. and the police patrols are actively gesturing for people to move over where they see incidences of lane ignorance. However Ive never heard of someone saying they got asked to move over by the police.

However Ive never heard of someone saying they got asked to move over by the police.

They're too busy reloading film in speed cameras and watching tv screens of cctv cameras to do any real policing?

we recently had our first 3-lane highway in the country opened just outside Dublin (ah the innocence) and funnily enough

drivers have settled in to these new rules rightaway.

Far lane hoggers can be explained easy enough, they're just a*seholes, but its the middle laners who get to me. What possess anyone to leave a perfectly clear lane to drive in another at the same speed is beyond me. My only theory is that these people somehow perceive the middle lane as the one they "belong" in, not too fast or slow, and as long as they stay there, they wont affect any other traffic.

Morons, complete and utter

I'm one of those pr*cks that drives in the outside lane all the time :)

I just make sure that I'm going faster than anyone behind me. Simple. Causes no grief.

And I'm very observant and pretty considerate too. I look out for situations constantly, and slow down/speed up to let others in/get out the way :)

Im also with you guys, i cant help but shout (maybe i shouldnt, and albeit theres no one else but me who can here me shouting) at the people who stay in the middle lane, drives me mad. No problem with people staying in the fast lane as long as they dont hold people up who come up behind them, its those that hold others up and refuse to pull over to the middle lane that annoys me. Motorway driving should become part of the driving lesson agenda.

Motorway driving should become part of the driving lesson agenda.

It is in Germany, and it amazed me when I came to the UK to hear, that it isn't part of the driving lessons package in this country.

In Germany you're trained to put your foot down, here's how:

During my 2 hour obligatory motorway trip as part of my driving lessons, I approached a slower car on a 2-lane motorway (most motorways in Germany are still 2 lane). The driving instructor just casually asked me whether I wanted to overtake that car. Yes, I replied. "Well, put your foot down then!" was the response. The car was an Audi 80 (end of 80s), doing 150 km/h I overtook. "How did that feel?" was the question. I just grinned. THAT's what I call driving instructions. No Green Party nonsense and other environmental BS now please :lol:

Tempest

In Scotland for the last few years - not that I drive in the rush hour now - I cannot remember the last time someone behind me in the fast lane flashed at me to pull over. I always hated this arrogant, antisocial, impatience.

Dont know whether people are more tolerant or whether this behaviour really has decreased.

Perhaps being in an "H" or "M" reg car helps?

Any comments from you guys involved in the cut and thrust of the daily grind and commute?

I do a lot of motorway driving at times. You're totally right, there does seem to be a new highway code, lol. The long hauls are not so bad, but Im finding its the local run thats the worst. Once upon a time dirving into B'ham everyone seemed to get a move on and there was no aggression; but now everyone is megga aggressive - young blokes and a lot of women.

Its a given that a lorry will be doing 55 in lane 1, and somthing overtaking that in lane 2 at an extra 2mph (with a view to moving back overonce there is a 4 mile clear strech in lane 1) - all of which I see as a norm. In this instance I will use lane 3 to cruse along in, then swiftly move over once past, mostly to avoid attention of plod. I used to swap lanes in busy traffic, but again it gets plods attention, seeing what other people do. But the current worst drivers, in this given situation, are the ones who pull out with the quick flick of an indicator and swerve in one foul move -- from lane 2 into lane 3, at their sedate 60 and creeping up to 70 some time next week. I'm gob smacked I dont see more accidents due to these oblivious twits ! ... sometimes its blokes, and all too often its women who just dont seem to have a clue what's coming up from behind. Personally, if I saw anything coming up behind, I stay where I am in lane 2 or move outta the way from Ln 3 - the reps often boot past so fast that you end up loosing NO time what so ever.

Note 2: Im still amazed at how many women i see without any hands on the wheel while on the motorway - one last night and one thismorning. Yes, sometimes its the white van man too.

Rog, you so need to get that lane sign made up full size and bung it on a bridge...

The middle lane one should become a "Bumper" sticker for us all...

I won't even get started on the M-way driving issues.... I'll be here for days.. however overtaking on both sides would get my vote....

Yes, why could it be seen as illegal for me to overtake in the left-hand lane if I'm doing a constant 70mph while someone in the middle lane is doing 60-65mph????

Although once tried this theory out with a Police Van which was doing a constant 60mph in the middle lane, while I steadily overtook at 70mph in the left hand lane. The look on the police officers face in the passenger seat was priceless. Then the ***** sped up and blocked me in behind a lorry. That was a very looong trip.

Have you noticed that, no matter what speed you're driving at, you're never going quite fast enough for the fast lane "regulars" ?

tell me about it!! i was comin home from work 2day down the A1,i was in the fast lane doin a steady speed, enough to warrant bein in the fast lane,an there was someone behind tryin to push me further!!!there was no point in goin into teh middle lanes as this was chocker we plodders an there was no way i was goin any quicker for the sake of some clown behind me :lol:

I do a lot of motorway driving at times. You're totally right, there does seem to be a new highway code, lol. The long hauls are not so bad, but Im finding its the local run thats the worst. Once upon a time dirving into B'ham everyone seemed to get a move on and there was no aggression; but now everyone is megga aggressive - young blokes and a lot of women.

Its a given that a lorry will be doing 55 in lane 1, and somthing overtaking that in lane 2 at an extra 2mph (with a view to moving back overonce there is a 4 mile clear strech in lane 1) - all of which I see as a norm. In this instance I will use lane 3 to cruse along in, then swiftly move over once past, mostly to avoid attention of plod. I used to swap lanes in busy traffic, but again it gets plods attention, seeing what other people do. But the current worst drivers, in this given situation, are the ones who pull out with the quick flick of an indicator and swerve in one foul move -- from lane 2 into lane 3, at their sedate 60 and creeping up to 70 some time next week. I'm gob smacked I dont see more accidents due to these oblivious twits ! ... sometimes its blokes, and all too often its women who just dont seem to have a clue what's coming up from behind. Personally, if I saw anything coming up behind, I stay where I am in lane 2 or move outta the way from Ln 3 - the reps often boot past so fast that you end up loosing NO time what so ever.

Note 2: Im still amazed at how many women i see without any hands on the wheel while on the motorway - one last night and one thismorning. Yes, sometimes its the white van man too.

Some tw@t with a deathwish did this when I was on my way to Ed38 this Sunday. He was doing 65-70ish - moved into the 3rd lane, directly into the path of a very bright and noisy police BMW doing about 120. Really thought there was gonna be an accident :shock:. Credit to the driver and BMW brakes but then it still took a clear 5 seconds for the guy to realise and make any attempt to get back out of the way! I guess it happens to them a lot but no matter what call out I was attending I would have arrested him there and then for driving without due care and attention... :?

John, if it was a camera car they've probably got it on tape as they record all "High speed" responses if equipped just in case. So he'll probably have a letter in the post (if the coppers can be bothered with the paperwork as well).

But on this subject.... how many people just pull over and stop when they see blue lights? Even if it means blocking them? Mate was an ambulance driver and that was his real pet hate...

They'd prefer you to keep moving and pull over where they can get round rather than have to force their way round a scared numpty who's parked it against the kerb... usually really badly.....