Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

Mid engined Corrado questions

Hi :)

Couple of theoretical questions for the engineers please.....

1. If you were to install an engine behind the front seats in a rado, say a nice 3 or 3.2 litre V6 for example, would it be sitting a lot higher than the front original position? Or do you cut a hole in the rear floor or something?

2. IF it sits higher, how do you compensate for the raised centre of gravity?

3. As it would be single engined (nowt up front) would that take the weight distribution too far into rear weight bias?

That sounds like an interesting project to me, my next contract looks like it could be a little more sensible than this one and I'd probably be spending two weeks in four at home so was fancying transplanting a complete R32 into a Corrado in my spare time, maybe a mid engined one would be a more unique challenge??? There's a few Renaults would be obvious donors as they have the transaxle already for you and if you can get a 3 litre V6 in the back of Clio I'm sure it'd squeeze into a Rado. Even some Ferraris might be on the shopping list :shock: Spring and damper rates would take some figuring out, and probably some a bit of trial and error but the donor car setup is always a good place to start, car companies have the right size development budget to do your research for you after all :)

That sounds like an interesting project to me, my next contract looks like it could be a little more sensible than this one and I'd probably be spending two weeks in four at home so was fancying transplanting a complete R32 into a Corrado in my spare time, maybe a mid engined one would be a more unique challenge??? There's a few Renaults would be obvious donors as they have the transaxle already for you and if you can get a 3 litre V6 in the back of Clio I'm sure it'd squeeze into a Rado. Even some Ferraris might be on the shopping list :shock: Spring and damper rates would take some figuring out, and probably some a bit of trial and error but the donor car setup is always a good place to start, car companies have the right size development budget to do your research for you after all :)

Or an Alfa V6? :)

You mean yu're going to pull it to bits already???

No!!!! :shock:

I saw an alfa 3.0 litre V6 (same as mine but not bored as much) for 150 quid!!! :)

And in theory i've still got most of a corrado shell. Been thinking about doing welding evening classes too :)

You mean yu're going to pull it to bits already???

No!!!! :shock:

I saw an alfa 3.0 litre V6 (same as mine but not bored as much) for 150 quid!!! :)

And in theory i've still got most of a corrado shell. Been thinking about doing welding evening classes too :)[/quote:d142a]

Of course if you want to stay purist there's Passats and Audis use a transaxle front end too, how about a V6 tdi diesel dog torque monster, not quite a howling petrol engine but might work? Don't know why I'm pursuing this, there'd be nowhere to keep the kids!

a neat little trick a lot of porsche designers have done is to stick the gearbox at the opposite end to even the weight distribution. If the engine is at the back then it may be a bit dumb, but you could stick the gearbox at the front on a driveshaft and then send the power out accordingly. seems a bit overkill though

no room to stick an Audi V8 in the back then ?? :lol:

I gotta be honest, I don't really want an audi V8 mate. I hate to say it on a dub forum, but I prefer Alfa engines to VAG engines (V6 variety anyway).