turlock

Taking the sun roof apart

Just saw this thread and my sunroof has the same common problem of slide function being broke!

I just read mk3 golfs has the same 'water plate guide' but where else can it be found to fit my bananarado?

I heard passat sunroofs are the same aswell, is this true?

Does anybody on here have this guide or know where I could get it?

thanks

Just saw this thread and my sunroof has the same common problem of slide function being broke!

I just read mk3 golfs has the same 'water plate guide' but where else can it be found to fit my bananarado?

I heard passat sunroofs are the same aswell, is this true?

Does anybody on here have this guide or know where I could get it?

thanksredhotpq

:: CF Newbie ::

Private messageE-mail

I have the issue as Raddoman, except from what I can see mine is caused by a fracture in the rocker/slider on the passenger side. The rear part of the mechanism is moving but not being able to pull the front part because of the brake and then it seizes up. The worst part is it's stuck open and it's just lashed it down so wet interior for me till it gets fixed.

Would people recommend replacing the whole thing and just have done with it, or wait for a dry day and try to find parts to repair?

You're looking at £500 to 'replace the whole thing' unfortunately. It would be interesting to see if VW ever made any improvements to the sunroof mechanism though. Well, I say VW, but Rockwell International were responsible for the Corrado's abysmal sunroof. Interestingly, the same firm made the Golf and Passat rooves too (aswell as numerous BMW, Audi and Mercedes roof mechs), and they never break.

TBH, I've done the whole repair thing and it made no difference. Still wouldn't slide and the motor was good. I think once the smooth black coating gets worn off by the sliders, you're stuffed. I just get second hand 'known working' roofs instead now, which is cheaper and shove in liberal amounts of VAG's specific sunroof grease.

twofourteen - this might work:

get a knife or suitably strong flat implement and sit inside the car, put the knife infront of the mech and pull forcibly backwards - it will close suddenly and trap the knife so make sure its not in too far. This should close the roof and sort the wet interior problem. Then you prob need to replace the rocker and the slider on which it is mounted. If the piece that the bushed wire is attached to has snapped, then that needs replacing too - but it is prob cheaper to get a second hand sunroof of ebay or from a scrappy to get that bit. The tricky part is lining it all up afterwards so it doesnt judder when closing

2-19a.jpg

cableassyresized1.jpg

Choose your parts distributor carefully, as some will tell you there is only the option of the sunroof repair kit, others will sell you the individual parts.

Give me a shout if you need any help, or if what i have told you is absolute tosh?!

Tim

Thanks for the advice Tim Doc, I'll give it a go and see what happens & provide an update...

May have to wait for a while to try and fix though cos there is a lot on at the moment

the roof lining around my sunroof is soaked, the sunroof doesn't operate but the motor "whires" when i press the button. it appear to be closed fully, i've removed the cover but the manual close screw wouldn't turn. any ideas where water is coming from also what might be wrong for roof not to tilt or open ??

Massive Back from the Dead, but my sunroof failed today.

It will tilt on the button but not close, because the left hand slider has snapped. I've had to pull the left hand slider back manually to get the roof to close. The right hand side tries to close but this twists the sunroof panel. Does anyone have a list of parts I need to fix it?? VagCat is a touch vague; I've seen the part number 1H0898014A, which VagCat says is for left AND right, but they look handed to me. Am I right in saying that I will need to change the cable as these parts are not replaceable seperately?

Does the sunroof need to come out if just one slider has snapped? (I assume so but you never know!)

Any help you guys can give me is gratefully appreciated!

It will tilt on the button but not close, because the left hand slider has snapped. I've had to pull the left hand slider back manually to get the roof to close. The right hand side tries to close but this twists the sunroof panel. Does anyone have a list of parts I need to fix it?? VagCat is a touch vague; I've seen the part number 1H0898014A, which VagCat says is for left AND right, but they look handed to me. Am I right in saying that I will need to change the cable as these parts are not replaceable seperately?

Does the sunroof need to come out if just one slider has snapped? (I assume so but you never know!)

IIRC the slider needs to come out of the rear of the runner, which is under the headlining. It may just about be possible to get it out while still in the car - I honestly don't know - but I do know you'll have to have the headlining out, so you may as well take the sunroof out as it's only a few bolts. It will also give you a chance to clean and grease up the other parts of the mech.

What you need is the repair kit for the side that was broken:

(1) 1H0898017A

repair kit for guide / for steel sliding roof

left front /

1 1H0898018A

repair kit for guide / for steel sliding roof

right front /

I was lucky as I managed to pick up a second hand sunroof in my colour with the mech intact for pretty cheap, so I could refurb that off the car and fit at my leisure.

I've had my sunroof out and in bits, and have also taken a broken mk3 one appart to see what parts are the same. My observations may be of no help to anyone, but are....

• The rear guides with the rocker finger on it are exactly the same
  • The actual frames are identical, but the outlets for the drain pipes are not at the same angles - i didnt offer up the mk3 one to see if that was a problem though
  • The middle slider thats attached to the cable on the mk3 has no control levers (that i assume are to tilt the 'letterbox' on the inside of the corrado)
  • The front slider has a different arm/clip for pushing and pulling of the interior trim, but as I was comparing the individual parts, I'm not sure if they will still engage enough to pull the interior trim back to closed
  • The long arms that actuate the tilt appear differnt to look at, but I think they deliver the same result

This thread is full of great info, my sunroof works perfectly with the crank handle but using the buttons the motor won't open or tilt. Motor works if you take it out and activate it out of the car. Any ideas? I'm thinking the motor is shot?

Any guidance much appreciated :)

Ollie

Since I was putting mine back together tonight, I thought I'd take a few pics of the parts, and a video of the mech working before i put the lid on - just used copper slip, time will tell how that lasts compared to the special VW jizz...

Left and right rear guides - both of the left hand ones are broken, the right hand ones are both fine. Two varying degrees of brokeness too; the top one with the sprung finger closest to the rocker missing actually jammed and snapped the cable, whereas the slightly bent bottom one only resulted in the tilts but doesn't slide issue. So annoying that these are so fragile and sensitive

[attach]46248[/attach]

[attach]46249[/attach]

Front guides - these appear to be just as fragile as the rear, but not nearly as critical.

[attach]46250[/attach]

And a quick video to celebrate it being fixed.... battery is about flat as the car hasn't been used in almost a year...

Edited by andycowuk

useful thread. My sunroof has now developed the non-slide problem - well it opened fully and then decided it didnt want to close, just had to pulse it every few seconds as it only moved about 2cm at a time.

Is it best to remove the cassette completely or can the mech be cleaned and relubed in place? How much time would/should it take to remove completely, service and refit?

Ha my sunroof doesn't work at all, I haven't bothered to look at it yet, but I'm feeling inspired. . .

This thread is full of great info, my sunroof works perfectly with the crank handle but using the buttons the motor won't open or tilt. Motor works if you take it out and activate it out of the car. Any ideas? I'm thinking the motor is shot?

Any guidance much appreciated :)

Ollie

Tired motor I'm afraid. I think they're about £200 from VW to replace :?

At one point I had 5 sunroof motors and only 3 of them would actually move the sunroof panel. They're pretty complex if you take one apart!

Just got a replacement roof to have a go at this with as I've got this too!

Just been reading through this thread trying to pick out some information for my specific problem. It seems my symptoms are quite common. The sunroof will tilt no problem, it will also slide but only a little bit at a time meaning I have to repeatedly press the slide function. The mechanism can be operated manually no problem although it does feel quite tight.

I was thinking of replacing the motor but by the sounds of it that's not going to resolve my issue. What would people recommend? The headlining is out anyway as it needed recovering so I've got access to the sunroof frame now. Are parts still available? Any help appreciated, thanks.

No parts are available. .so maintenance is the best way forward for longevity of this.

I would recommend taking the cassette out and sliding the cables out. Totally Clean them and the channels they go in. Then using the sunroof grease lube the cables and channels and manually move them around a lot to ensure the grease gets everywhere. The difference of smoothness is amazing. .

Point to note.... make sure you get both cables locked into the same position that you left them in with the motor position. That way you don't have to mess about faffing in resetting it all.

I think geeba found replacing some small plastic circular part that really helps in allowing a drop down piece to release easily, thus preventing the snapping of the cable.

Mine runs great and I will fit the part he sent me very soon.

And on refitting the metal panel. ...1mm down at the front

1mm up at the back

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

So possibly remove the motor and put a spot of paint on cables and motor teeth that were engaged before disassembly? Is he interested to know more about this plastic circular piece, are they available still do you know? Thanks.