Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Corrado vs CTR

Oh come on. this is another hate thread. we all like corrados - sure. but the ctr is not as bad as most of you are making out. it may not be our/your preference or suit our driving wants/style - but its not a bad car. many owners love them - as corrado owners love their cars.

I would have to say that is indeed a hate thread!!! I think the points about the low torque figures are fair enough and I will definately admit that they are reletively common when compared to Rados... However, after owning a Rado G60 until early this year and now owning a CTR I would have to say I know which one I would choose!

The Civic is an awesome car, yeah whilst the torque is low when you're at low levs this doesn't really make any odds at all as all you do is drop it down a couple of gears get it into the vtec and your pulling away as if you had a turbo strapped to the B*stard.

Secondly quite why some of your feel that the interior is horrible I really just don't understand, it's generally minimal (By the way I am talking about the EP3 CTR which is the 01 - 06 model, and not the new one cos I hate that :lol: ) comfortable and the nice bits of red give it something to drag it away from the normal grey and black. AFAIC if had to choose between the two interors I would rather have it look like as someone so nicely put it "the hi-fi section in the argos catalogue" than (as I shall so nicely put it!) the inside of someones briefcase!!

Now please do not get me wrong I did really like my Corrado and it did always put a smile on my face (not including when I drove it in the wet as quite frankly it was terrible, and when I had a few problems but due to the fact that it was 15 years old I forgave it) but driving the civic in all weathers at any time makes me smile.

i just thought I would add this as quite honestly topics like this on single make/model forums seem to be pointless as I would quite happilly say on the Civic forum, the Corrado is so different from the Civic Type that I wouldn't expect many people to like them as the many things that I liked in the Corrado the Civic either doesn't have or has a completely differenty way of achieving the same thing.

I think all I'm asking from people is that they don't call them a souless car and all that and just respect them for what they are, an awesome piece of engineering and a damn fine car as well, all of which are built and hand finished in our very own country.

Thanks for listening

Tom.

Oh P.S. this does really only apply to the EP3 and earlier type Rs as quite honestly the new one is just rediculous, where the EP3 had nothing but a Tacho, a speedo, a fuel gauge and water temp the FN2 has F*cking 2 tonnes of Sat Nav and iPod docks and five times the amount of sound proofing and all that Sh*t, the nice thing about the EP3 is the fact that it's basic, it does what it says on the tin and not much more.

can't remember what i said previously, but have been out in my mates again, and yes it is quick/fun, but its very noisy/buzzy and doesn't feel too well made.

i'd take one for the track or a weekend toy over a rado, but for driving everyday, comfort & effortless driving it has to be the rado.

depends on the corrado as to which is the better car, i know my pal is jealous of all the leather, electrics, aircon, sunroof, heated seats etc, its much more than a 190bhp engine

Oh come on. this is another hate thread. we all like corrados - sure. but the ctr is not as bad as most of you are making out. it may not be our/your preference or suit our driving wants/style - but its not a bad car. many owners love them - as corrado owners love their cars.

I would have to say that is indeed a hate thread!!! I think the points about the low torque figures are fair enough and I will definately admit that they are reletively common when compared to Rados... However, after owning a Rado G60 until early this year and now owning a CTR I would have to say I know which one I would choose!

The Civic is an awesome car, yeah whilst the torque is low when you're at low levs this doesn't really make any odds at all as all you do is drop it down a couple of gears get it into the vtec and your pulling away as if you had a turbo strapped to the B*stard.

Secondly quite why some of your feel that the interior is horrible I really just don't understand, it's generally minimal (By the way I am talking about the EP3 CTR which is the 01 - 06 model, and not the new one cos I hate that :lol: ) comfortable and the nice bits of red give it something to drag it away from the normal grey and black. AFAIC if had to choose between the two interors I would rather have it look like as someone so nicely put it "the hi-fi section in the argos catalogue" than (as I shall so nicely put it!) the inside of someones briefcase!!

Now please do not get me wrong I did really like my Corrado and it did always put a smile on my face (not including when I drove it in the wet as quite frankly it was terrible, and when I had a few problems but due to the fact that it was 15 years old I forgave it) but driving the civic in all weathers at any time makes me smile.

i just thought I would add this as quite honestly topics like this on single make/model forums seem to be pointless as I would quite happilly say on the Civic forum, the Corrado is so different from the Civic Type that I wouldn't expect many people to like them as the many things that I liked in the Corrado the Civic either doesn't have or has a completely differenty way of achieving the same thing.

I think all I'm asking from people is that they don't call them a souless car and all that and just respect them for what they are, an awesome piece of engineering and a damn fine car as well, all of which are built and hand finished in our very own country.

Thanks for listening

Tom.

Oh P.S. this does really only apply to the EP3 and earlier type Rs as quite honestly the new one is just rediculous, where the EP3 had nothing but a Tacho, a speedo, a fuel gauge and water temp the FN2 has F*cking 2 tonnes of Sat Nav and iPod docks and five times the amount of sound proofing and all that Sh*t, the nice thing about the EP3 is the fact that it's basic, it does what it says on the tin and not much more.

The sheer fact that people try and compare a car thats at least a quarter of the price and 12 years older than the other speaks volumes.

Silly thread tbh.

not really, i've spent nearly £8k on mine and had it a year, the guy at work, same age as me got a CTR for not much more money at the same kinda time.

we both admire each others cars, and each take the mick out of certain points, me calling his cheap and tinny, him calling mine old and dated

on paper they have v.similar stats, both are normally aspirated, same kinda insurance

Thanks for listening

Tom.

good im glad someone stood up for them! theyre personally not the right car for me - but i can appreciate them. good stuff youre enjoying it :)

People are quite within their rights to dislike a car. Why should they be labeled as narrow minded and one track minded because they don't like Honda CTRs and prefer their Corrado?

It's like suggesting a Curry is the best food in the world and then getting the hump if people don't like it....accusing them of being pansies for not being able to take the heat or it's strong flavour because it's different to their preferred pie and mash. Don't bash people for expressing their opinions.....that's borderline dictatorship....."You WILL like Honda CTRs, or suffer the firing squad!" :lol:

The amount of cash some people on here have spent on their Corrados could easily buy them a new CTR....but why haven't they bought one? Cause they don't like them, plain and simple! I'd rather have a Focus ST or MK5 GTI personally.

I do recall my comments being balanced though because I have driven them. I also commented on some things I LIKE about the CTR, namely it's impressive body shell flexural and torsional rigidity and the excellent gear shift.

I didn't really notice the interior on my test drives because in common with other cars like it, it's not the main appeal of the car.

In my opinion, the engine lets the car down. Providing you have hydraulic steering, it handles well, rides OK-ish, has good feedback and feels planted......but such a competent chassis needs more grunt imo. It's the same with the Focus ST170. Cracking chassis, crap engine.

i havent bought one as i don't want one either! my point was that its all too easy to join in shooting something down, ignoring the good points just because its not to our tastes. i applauded the chap who balanced the comments out a bit - go the underdog!!

p.s. Curry vs Thai :lol:

i like the breifcase look interior, goes with my driving gloves :lol:

I would say its more a fighter jet cockpit and a curry everytime. :lol:

The real question we have to ask ourselves is Ham or Cheese???

The older civics kick ass in my personal opinion. Never owned one myself, but a old mate of mine (dont see him much anymore) used to have one. Didnt half shift! Then again i drive an early C valver, so it doesnt take much to impress in comparison to that!

So how much torque do you need to 'hold the car on the clutch at junctions' then?!! :)

PS.

NO

RICE

:)

PPS. Pasta is ok though ;)

Honda Civiv Type R - umm!!

Well, I have driven the above at the 6 track days I have done this year, which include Donnington, Brands, Oulton Park, Croft and Snetterton. So a fair mix there to get a good feel of the car.

It has been great for the Track Days - I don't own it but hire it.

Initially I kept hitting the Rev limiter, just not enough room in 2nd (I do have a tendancy to find this in most cars though to be fair)

Handling - it is immensly forgiving and handles very well, doing just about everything you ask of it.

It sits right down and has a solid feel about it.

Even if you do get it badly out of shape - which i may have :o , it was not at all frightening and I managed to rectify it without too much effort.

Snetterton was the first time I felt the car lacked power at the top end.

It does Rev high, actually nearer 8500/9000rpm and there are alot of gear changes to get the best of its performance.

The dash in my opionion is disgusting, but then I am not one for big dials and indicators flashing everything at you like you are an idiot.

Would I own one - No, far to common for me and if I am honest - the look of them does not do it.

Then, the sound - what sound - it's dismal.

Besides, i am already looking to see what cars are out there to complete Track Days in next year - which in itself says it all - I want more fun.

I have spoken to my Instructor about turning all the gizmo's off.

He says, he has tried this along with other Instructors and apparently they all agree - it is practically undriveable.

For me, I actually prefer VR6 Corrado.

Of course, when i get my Porsche - if anyone says it's Common - they will be dead !! :lol:

i havent bought one as i don't want one either! my point was that its all too easy to join in shooting something down, ignoring the good points just because its not to our tastes. i applauded the chap who balanced the comments out a bit - go the underdog!!

p.s. Curry vs Thai :lol:

Aye I agree that folk tend to jump on an injured animal like pack wolves, but the CTR has always been a marmite car and every time it's brought up on here, you get the same comments - ugly, dull interior, gutless engine :-)

I reckon a bacon cheeseburger is a good all rounder :lol:

It's like suggesting a Curry is the best food in the world and then getting the hump if people don't like it....accusing them of being pansies for not being able to take the heat or it's strong flavour because it's different to their preferred pie and mash. Don't bash people for expressing their opinions.....that's borderline dictatorship....."You WILL like Honda CTRs, or suffer the firing squad!" :lol:

The amount of cash some people on here have spent on their Corrados could easily buy them a new CTR....but why haven't they bought one? Cause they don't like them, plain and simple! I'd rather have a Focus ST or MK5 GTI personally.

As someone who is just about to "invest" the market cost of a secondhand Intergra-R under the bonnet of a 14 year old VR6 I am a(nother) prime example of what you're talking about. I must be mad, but I just can't bring myself to swap it for anything else. The car works for me on almost every level, and I can only pick faults in most modern alternatives.

In fact about the only alternative I even considered this year was finding a late 944SE and putting the 'Vette LS1 engine conversion into it. Rebuilding the Corrado is a fairly sensible alternative to that really...

I must be mad, but I just can't bring myself to swap it for anything else. The car works for me on almost every level, and I can only pick faults in most modern alternatives.

Agreed! No matter how annoying the car is at times or how many engine blocks and turbos it gets through, I just can't get rid of it!

In fact about the only alternative I even considered this year was finding a late 944SE and putting the 'Vette LS1 engine conversion into it. Rebuilding the Corrado is a fairly sensible alternative to that really...

Agreed again. I've been scheming up plans of a similar nature and using the same engine too, or the LS2, but it'll have to wait until I have the space......and welding skills!

With the dollar in the state it is now, you can get crated LS2s, brand new, with ECU and wiring loom for £3K shipped. Now that is a bargain for an engine that will give 500hp / 500lb/ft with nothing more than cams, headers and a remap.

I must be mad, but I just can't bring myself to swap it for anything else. The car works for me on almost every level, and I can only pick faults in most modern alternatives.

Agreed! No matter how annoying the car is at times or how many engine blocks and turbos it gets through, I just can't get rid of it!

Agreed again. I've been scheming up plans of a similar nature and using the same engine too, or the LS2, but it'll have to wait until I have the space......and welding skills!

With the dollar in the state it is now, you can get crated LS2s, brand new, with ECU and wiring loom for £3K shipped. Now that is a bargain for an engine that will give 500hp / 500lb/ft with nothing more than cams, headers and a remap.

Kev,

Presume you are aware of the conversion kit for LS1/944 that (as a PPC reader?). When I looked at the costs I reckonedg you could have the whole car built (subcontracted) for under £10k, but then I put the cash into the rebuild, so all bets are off (for a few years or so!)

John

I haven't seen that yet but I'm aware of PPC's love of cramming all things V8 into all things not V8 to begin with.....like the PPC Transit and that chap putting a Lexus V8 into his 200SX....etc.

The 944 (especially in 968 flavour) does make a good candidate for V8ness and I think the 944 S2s look rather tasty too!

Like you, current spending has put any future projects on hold for quite some time!

I had a play against a mate of mine in his ctr last weekend. His has been rolling roaded at 230+ fwhp, and my standard VR6 was keeping up (just!) on the straights, and catching on the corners. I know the standard VR6 suffers a bit of body roll, but the civic seemed to suffer much worse and it's 10 years younger!

honda they are all good cars in general reliable etc , but i would only have bought the ctr when i was 18 when i used to love ringing the nuts out of everything i owned, but now not for me and i have driven a good few of them , but if they had put the 2.2 out of the prelude in it that goes well the ctr just does not feel that quick , i did not buy my corrado cause it was the right price or anything its what i wanted as with most of us here .

I know the standard VR6 suffers a bit of body roll, but the civic seemed to suffer much worse and it's 10 years younger!

That can't be right as the CTRs I've driven had VERY firm suspension as standard, barely any body roll at all!

The standard VR6 is a lot wallowier by comparison.

Sorry but this is a really random car to put the Corrado up against. Mainly because of age, but, If you buy a raddo it's because you've always wanted one, or because you've never wanted anything else newer so far. It's a car with cult status and one you own because you want to. The Type R (the new ones especially) are cracking good cars. They stick to the road like glue and are quite pokey (unless you come in contact with a hill lol) I've driven one and loved it. They are however common as muck (as has been said). They're a car you buy because they're a good all rounder.

It may not have 200bhp from the production line or awesome superchipped 8000rpmunbreakablepistonnoises, but the Corrado is a drivers car :D

Plus I'd have the VR6 burble over the screaming whine of Vtec anyday lol. Infact I'd have anything over the screaming noise of V-tec :lol:

Mike