Sign in to follow this  
n3p

Audi Coupe

With the winter quickly approaching, I'm contemplating putting the C to sleep, so as to get engine work done throughout the season.

I was thinking of getting another car during this time, and I noticed the Audi Coupe. I don't really know anything about the car, other than it sort of looks like the audi equivalent of a C :p

So i ask to ye:

Mechanically sound?

Reliable?

Best model + comparison?

I don't particularly want another corrado type car, where it saps all of my money. I just came across this as they are relatively cheap to get hold of. If you don't think the coupe is gonna be worth it, can you recommend anything else?

cheers

i was going to get one of these before the corrado

they do quite a few different versions, 2.3, 2.6, 2.8, some are also quattro

thats about all i know :lol:

i had one before i bought my c.....only a 2.0 8v....gave me no hassle at all.......guzzled petrol a bit tho.....nearly as much as the c :D

my girlfriend still goes on about it....she loved it

Nasty cars to drive imo..... it was also on my shortlist years ago before getting the C. It's an Audi 80 underneath and as such, dull, uninspiring steering and an equally dull and uninspiring interior and woolly handling. As a general run about they're OK. Driving that for a while will certainly spur you on to finish the C quickly. The S2 is the only one worth getting imo as you can do a lot with them, but it's not really what your'e after!

Avoid obviously knackered ones because you will be shocked at Audi's parts prices if you think VW's are steep!

If I wanted a hack to give the C some breathing space, I'd get a MK2 GTI or something, or a Pug 1.9 GTI....something fun and cheap.

I've had three now.

A late '96 2.0, a '92 S2 and an '95 S2.

They are very solid cars and are typically reliable. But as the cheese says (with exception of S2) - not overly exciting in standard guise.

Parts aren't too bad as almost all mechanicals you can get pattern parts for. Dealerships in my experiance are very similar to VW for genuine parts.

AFAIK available as:

2.0 8v very dull - fair bit slower than my pervious MKII 8v Gti

2.3 5cyl (early only) (quattro option)

2.2 5cyl turbo S2 (quattro) great cars if you get a goodun

2.6 V6

2.8 V6 (?) Really not as exciting as it sounds especially in an auto!

S2 is holding its value reasonably well, but the others can be picked up very cheap. Personally I wouldn't consider them to be a cheap runabout. As the cheese says - get a MkII !

Ive been thinking about one of these too...Got up to 2k max to spend but then for the money im looking at bmw 320/323/325 and 328 3 series! anything from a 92 up till a 97.

Much more car for the money!

Im going to see a 328i se,4 door,100k miles with full bmw history...and its a 97...and under my max budget!

From what ive read,parts are roughly the same price as corrado apart from the odd thing,vanos for example.And it only gets expensive when you use the dealers for work.

Independant/mates garages should be alright,and gsf for half the parts 8)

One big! thing to look for though...The engine blocks (originaly nickasil coated bores) were prone to bore wear through using high? sulphur fuels...bmw replaced a lot of them,so you need to know if this has been done or not.They swapped most of them for alusil blocks that didn't suffer with the problem.But until they found the problem they replaced them with the same blocks,and these wore out too most of the time :shock:

Maybe sommet to consider?

There is alot to consider indeed, Mr. Riley!

Cheers for the advice guys, I was really trying to avoid looking at a MkII GTI, but they do seem to be the best option. Fine! I give in, i'm gonna go check some out this weekend :p