Sign in to follow this  
pete_griff

Pete Griff's 'Rado R32 - (Not quite!) Alive at last! :D

howdy all - i'm really busy patching things up with the girlfriend for totally abondonning her today :S - i'll post a bit later - promise ;)

hey everyone, i've hopefully patched things up enough for now - just off out shortly!

i'll write all about it tomorrow. but i'm very very pleased - need to sort everything with mapping and a couple of teething problems - mostly thanks to the breaker sending me wrong/crap/broken parts!

i will say that i'm unbelievably pleased with it and it's chuffing quick :) :D

haha, glad your pleased dude. It's a awesome car! Hope you enjoy it!

(its chris by the way, i gave you my ITG filter today haha)

Chris

haha, glad your pleased dude. It's a awesome car! Hope you enjoy it!

(its chris by the way, i gave you my ITG filter today haha)

Chris

yeah of course i remember! thanks very very much for that - most appreciated. :thumb right:

i really didn't want to sell my bmc (especially not so cheap as i did - kaz got a bargain there!), but to get me running etc and until i can do something with the routing of that hose, i'm a bit stuck really...

I hope it was worth the wait, although i'm sure that is a silly statement!!

the car is fantastic - got lots of little things to sort out yet - loose/missing trim inside, set my shocks up properly, sort out my replacement brembos... etc etc

got the gearshift sorted today so i can get all the gears now which is nice! only trouble is i am getting some graunching when driving in 1st - no other gears and it seems to be going in and out of the forward gears ok...

i'm not sure if there is some more adjustment i can do that i don't know about... i'm going to ask vince tomorrow when it goes to stealth to get remapped.

seeing as it was fine before my rebuild, i should hopefully have some comeback with the garage who rebuilt it for me as i still have the receipt etc and they seemed like a nice enough bunch there. (the only thing i can think of other than something dodgy during happening the rebuild, is that i bashed the cap on the end of the case when putting it in - only very slightly; but chris (ziderapple) had a similar problem when he did his, except his was noisy all the time i think...)

also i think i need a new clutch master cylinder which is a bit of a pain in the arse, but not bad timing if i'm doing the brakes soon as well i guess...

as for the performance - the vr lethargy has vanished! it feels like a vr does at above 4k right from the off. and when you get to 4k with this motor it goes pretty ballistic and the car buggers off towards the horizon! the rev limiter is currently cutting in at about 5k which is a bit annoying, but everything should hopefully be sorted when it goes to stealth tomorrow.

put it this way (on my private test track naturally :tongue: ) it was revving hard, strong and fast up to 130mph when i got it back, then it hit the limiter - but it felt like it had loads and loads left to go :D this is naturally before it has been to see vince to get remapped too - so i'm very keen to see how well it performs when it's all set up and running as it should. as it is at the moment it was about the same if not a tiny bit faster than my friends celica gt4; which is runing about 260-270 bhp...

the quife seems to be earning it's money as well! - i can't wait to see what it feels like properly in the dry - i can feel it scrabbling for grip because of the stupidly slippery roads at the moment (i recon they have accidentally been putting grease in the gritters! :lol:)

it's funny how you can feel the power go to the one side and then the other as the weight of the car alters with the road surface etc and the small pull on the wheel you get either way as it does this :)

it's almost like feeling the car wheelspinning, yet still getting a decent amount of grip and forward momentum...

also i remember from a thread about snow and one of corozins posts - when the front lets go, it really lets go with a quaife; as both wheels loose grip at the same time and the car really does fly towards the hedge like the titanic posessed! then when it grips again it does so with a bite. this isn't massively massively bad or offputting once you know it's coming - but the first time you do it you get woken up! :lol: i'll have to make sure i drive to it's limits because of this while the roads are still in the terrible state they are...

i've just thought - i've not got any piccies of the engine in and running as it is now - hold on all of you and i'll try and get one up for you in the next few mins... :D

(oh and i need to get myself sorted with altering the coolant hose routing and another bmc in place of the itg. the car is nice and quite at idle - quiter than a vr just with a tiny tiny bit more noticable gearbox chatter due to the harder mounts. when you rev it though, there is no mistaking that the car simply wants to kill you!)

and here's that piccie as promised :D

just spoken to karl who's going to pop over to stealth tomorrow to say hello - top man :)

he's hopefully going to bring his camcorder, so you can all get a sample of it when it's on the rollers!

here ya go -

not that i'm a particulalrly supersticious bloke - but my post number is currently 666 and i'm goin gto get it mapped tomorrow and we all know what corrados are like!

so here's another post to say thanks to all those that have helped me out off here while i've been doing this - i can't say enough how invaluable the forum has been to me while i've been sorting the project out - couldn't have done it without it :D

really looking forward to finally meeting you tomorrow pete, and also lloking forward to actually seeing your car running :) if its of any use to you i have the standard r32 airbox/pipework sitting in the garage doing nothing but keeping bloody horrible spiders dry :pukeright:

if you want it let me no before i pop over tomorrow and i will bring it with me.

see ya at about 12 mate

Cool, bet the first drive was brilliant. The sounds amazing isnt it. Let me know how you get on with the airbox as I might still try and put the standard back on to quieten mine down.

Great news Pete. So pleased you've got it sorted. I'm sure Vince will sort you out today with a great setup. looking forward to hearing some sound clips of the car....then seeing it in the flesh soon!!

Oh! ...and you can update your sig now too!! :D

Charlie

Hi Pete,

Glad you're pleased with the end result, I know I was blown away by mine the first time I gave it a proper run, I can only imagine the 3.2 feels even better. I hope its just the case on the end of your gear box making the noise - was nice easy fix for me, plus the noise was intermittent I think. Instal looks nice and neat too, well have to try and arrange a 24v thrash soon. I have been away for about 10 weeks and have only checked the forum a couple of times so have lost track of everyones progress - quite randomly though as I was queing for my flight out of Singapore - Mark (vag-doc) called me about your short shifter!

I'm just about to pop a new tax disc in the C and take it for a spin now!

Is it KW Variant 3's you have in ther Pete? If so, I'm going to want a ride too see how good they are as i'm seriously thinking of getting some!

hye all - doom and gloom for me today i'm afraid - i bloody hate cars! :(

couldn't get it mapped today as it threw up some error codes that were pretty unexpected.

according to both vince and the vag-doc, vag cars can take a while to throw up codes whereas other manufacturers (eg bmw etc) would throw them up straight away.

the reason i say that as well, is the vag-doc reiterated how thorough he is before letting a car leave, so was a bit surprised to hear it was throwing up error codes.

that's really crap for me, as he will have to go back through it and see if he can source the problem, leaving me without a motor in the mean time :(

he was kind enough to give me a lift to the station tonight though and is still being thoroughly sound about the whole affair - fair play to him - bloody nice guy :)

he's offerred to map it for me again (i turned him down the first time in favour of stealth) - i'm umming and arring about it at the moment - not because i don't trust him (he's one seriously switched on guy!) just the simple fact of having stealth's name on the top of the receipt holds mucho weight in the vw community should the unthinkable happen and i ever decide to sell the car...

i recon i will get him to do it instead of vince if i'm honest, but i need to let vince and him know asap so as not to mess either of them around or offend either of them unnecessarily.

one of the big bonusses though is that i can keep up with my friends' celica gt4....... when the ecu is in limp mode!!! :shock:

the car felt bloody quick as it was - i can only imagine what it will be like once it's running as it should be and then remapped :D :norty: :tongue:

one of the gayest things from today is that my gearbox will need to come back out of the car.

stopped in at the place who rebuilt it for me on the way to bristol from stealth today and it will definitely need to come back out and be stripped and inspected to see what's causing the noise - f*cking gay! :mad2:

the boys there have said i can stay there and give them a hand to take it out if that's what i want to do (which i definitely do!) - i'll just have to make sure i use first as little as possible in the mean time if i get the car back before then - we will see!...

either way the gearbox won't be getting any attention until the new year, which is pretty crap as i start back at work on the 5th of jan at a new location...

by the way - big thanks to karl today who came down to show moral support - great to finally meet you buddy. thanks very much again for the loan of the maf too :)

i would have rung you once i had arrived in bristol and got all sorted, but my mum neglected to tell me that the phone she has lent me in lieu of mine has a battery problem and so promptly died on me a few minutes after leaving stealth!

i'll try and give you a ring tomorrow buddy and let you know how things are going - thanks very much again for popping down though buddy - great to have you around :D

i'm crap at replying to people!

Great news Pete. So pleased you've got it sorted. I'm sure Vince will sort you out today with a great setup. looking forward to hearing some sound clips of the car....then seeing it in the flesh soon!!

Oh! ...and you can update your sig now too!! :D

Charlie

thanks very much charlie, great to hear from you as always :)

anymore news on your own project just yet? (apologies if it's a tender subject - i feel your pain!)

trust me i'll keep you updated as to progress on mine...

Hi Pete,

Glad you're pleased with the end result, I know I was blown away by mine the first time I gave it a proper run, I can only imagine the 3.2 feels even better. I hope its just the case on the end of your gear box making the noise - was nice easy fix for me, plus the noise was intermittent I think. Instal looks nice and neat too, well have to try and arrange a 24v thrash soon. I have been away for about 10 weeks and have only checked the forum a couple of times so have lost track of everyones progress - quite randomly though as I was queing for my flight out of Singapore - Mark (vag-doc) called me about your short shifter!

I'm just about to pop a new tax disc in the C and take it for a spin now!

hey chris, cheers for the reply.

sorry you missed out on the gruven short shift - i wanted someone with a vr to swap it with straight away and i knew you were based in bristol, so i asked mark if he still had your number.

i hope it's the cap on th end of the case, but i don't think so; neither does vince who saw it today :(

i recon for the price of a cap it's probably worth getting hold of one to try on there...

glad to hear you're still enjoying your 'rado and you haven't had to sell it - great news :)

i will definitely make a point of looking you up next time i'm down in bristle! - you should PM me your number actually - i did get hold of it off boost monkey off here a while ago; but i've since managed to loose my phone on a night out :?

Is it KW Variant 3's you have in ther Pete? If so, I'm going to want a ride too see how good they are as i'm seriously thinking of getting some!

hey buddy - i do indeed have variant 3's - pretty pleased with them so far. they are perhaps a tiny bit harder than i would like at the mo; but then they have only been installed and i haven't even looked at setting them up properly yet - just wanted to get the car running and worry about the details like that afterwards...

That's a bit disappointing for you. Sorry to hear that it's stil playing you up. I'd have lost my temper by now. :(

That's a bit disappointing for you. Sorry to hear that it's stil playing you up. I'd have lost my temper by now. :(

thanks for the kind words buddy, most appreciated - i can assure you i have been in better moods than i was on the train home last night!!! :censored:

I feel for you Pete, there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a problem free R32 conversion....Don't loose faith mate, It'll soon all be forgotten by the summer!

I feel for you Pete, there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a problem free R32 conversion....Don't loose faith mate, I'll soon all be forgotten by the summer!

Yeah keep at it fella, all will come good in the end

Sorry to hear you are having bad luck Pete! It's bound to happen though, no big job like this goes smoothly on corrados :lol:

Just think of it this way, you are going to be getting and resolving all potential problem I might face so I will know what needs to be done :lol:

Hope it gets sorted asap for you!

So far this is looking awesome mate, just a little bit more and it'll all be worth it. Don't forget you gave yourself a very short time frame to do it, hats off to you I say!