Sign in to follow this  
faz

what oil for the VR...

Hi,

Its going in for a check over and oil service tomorow with a very trusted mechanic I know...

I read the horror story about the oil heating up and being too thin...

What do you guys use 10/40 or 15/40..

The car has done 91k, my mechanic was suggesting 10/40 with some additive of some sort ?......

Quick its going tomorrow morning...advice needed

Thanks

i questioned this whben i bought my car, but both the Comma and Carlube book both list 10w/40 semi for the engine. obv if it has done millions of miles then get something thicker but until then im sticking with 10w/40 :p

Hmmm

mines only has 91k on it...

15w/40 should do nicely....

Its diff to say as I doubt it would really affect the drive/personality of the engine..

I use Fuchs Silkolene Pro 10w50 as it gives good protection at high engine temps!

Opie Oils (Oilman) on here sell it.

I use Fuchs Silkolene Pro 10w50 as it gives good protection at high engine temps!

Opie Oils (Oilman) on here sell it.

As above if you want run of the mill stuff then the vw syth silver is ok, Decent oil pro s10w50.

GSF sell the FUCHS equivalent to the silkolene semi-synthetic stuff mentioned above:

98082A FUCHS XTR SEMI SYNTHETIC 10W40 OIL 5L GENERAL USE-SEMI SYNTHETIC(NOT FOR PD ENGINES) 10.70

Or you can go fully synthetic with:

98085A FUCHS SUPERSYN 5W40 OIL 4L MOST APPLICATIONS - GENERAL USE-FULLY SYNTHETIC(NOT FOR PD ENGINES) 15.20

just thought i'd mention, i used VW syntha silver for the 1st of owning corrado and i was getting through loads of oil.

recentely changed to a cheaper brand and now use quite a bit less

???

recentely changed to a cheaper brand and now use quite a bit less

It's probably thicker?

If you're using oil it's either leaking out of the engine, or leaking into the engine and getting burnt. Changing oil doesn't fix the leaks, but changing to a thicker oil means that less oil gets squeezed through the gaps ..

I'm using 5/30 fully synthetic at the moment, or thats the oil they've just put in my car at the 70,000mile service number anyway.

Is that bad then? :?

If it's not leaking any of it or burning it by the bucket load, then the engine's happy with it.

I prefer to use a wider viscosity range myself, 10W/50 I've found is spot on for a VR6, especially when they've racked up a goodly amount of miles.

would ya recommend a change from say 10/40 for 10/50 then?, or is it just semi synth to fully that shouldn't be done :p