Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

An RS4 made my VR6 look like it was standing still...

Late last night driving back from London on the M1.

My god those Audis are quick!!!!

Cant really say the speeds on a public forum, but anyway, we were both stuck behind a slower car in the fast lane, him in front of me.... When the slower car moved out of the way we both floored it at the same time.

Mine made a loud noise and started to accelerate after a split second. The Audi in front, literally vanished into the distance in a split second. Took me ages to wind my old VR6 lump to catch him which didnt take as long as i thought it would take but still felt like ages compared to the way his Audi flew.

I didnt realise they were that quick, then had a look on the net today only to find they have almost twice as many horses and a couple of Turbos tuned by Cosworth!

What a machine!

They are an amzing car was on the bypass near me and looked in my rear view mirror and thought that car is going pretty fast within a couple of seconds it was past me and low and behold and rs4! Id still have an rs6 tho! :lol:

Late last night driving back from London on the M1.

My god those Audis are quick!!!!

Cant really say the speeds on a public forum, but anyway, we were both stuck behind a slower car in the fast lane, him in front of me.... When the slower car moved out of the way we both floored it at the same time.

Mine made a loud noise and started to accelerate after a split second. The Audi in front, literally vanished into the distance in a split second. Took me ages to wind my old VR6 lump to catch him which didnt take as long as i thought it would take but still felt like ages compared to the way his Audi flew.

Think they tend to do that to most cars :lol: :lol:

Think they tend to do that to most cars :lol: :lol:

When I had the S3 it was quite a lot quicker than the Corrado, especially 80mph+ roll ons although throwing it around bends could get a bit hairy by comparison if you weren't hard on the gas and boost so that the haldex was working properly. I knew however to give RS4s full respect at any speed, they are a truly awesome motor, grab yourself a look under the bonnet of one any you'll quickly understand why :shock:

Yeah, they sure are sweet, take it was an older RS4 tho, the 2.7V6 biturbo, as new ones are 4.2V8 NA ?

414bhp straight out of the box though!

Had a similar thing with an RS6, woman in her 50s in front of me got onto a dual carridge way got and close thinking she wouldn't play, then she booted it and it literally disappeared I was like oh right...

My local audi had a invite only drive our range day. My old man gave me his invite as I brokered his audi buy. They let me have an rs6 for half an hour on my own. Fast does NOT cover it and no drama at any speed. Hard to drive in a car park though. Auto, and on tick over is slow but ok but touch the throttle to do any move and the thing just wants to go really quickly right now. It picks up speed from three figures like a vr from 30.

Its not really a fair comparison - lets get one of our supercharged/turbocharged boys out and i think there will be a lot less in it, if anything. Haywires C, for one, will certainly give some of these motors a real run for their money.

I know someone who's recently acquired a B5 RS4 after many years of wanting one. He told me a couple of weeks ago that he's already seen 175mph in it already and there was a bit more still to come.

So in a VR6 you're not going to have a chance against something like that unless you managed to put about 400bhp under the bonnet. And longer gearing too.

Friend of mine has an RS6, not the new style one (only out this year) but the previous model. That is really quick and so refined at the same time.

TBH we are driving a car that was coming off the end of the design process over 20 years ago with engine technology that is not much newer. The current and previous crop of RS Audis have silly power by comparison just due to the onward march of technology.

Mind you if think running a Corrado is expensive my friend needs new front discs and pads - about £400 just for the parts please :shock:

An RS4 made my VR6 look like it was standing still...

Yeah but you should see how quickly his bank balance decreases compared to yours... ;)

There's cars on the road will leave the RS4 for dead too, it's all about money at the end of the day ...

All youd need is about 360bhp in a VRT to beat an RS4 (obviously not past 155mph though). The Corrado is are much lighter remember.

Theres a guy who on a 6 hour journey repeatedly beat his mates RS4 with his VRT, has the longer 5th gear too. I dont think it was the V8 one though :? .

Don't think there would be a chance that a VRT (unless it has something silly like 500BHP and 4wd) would beat a current B7 RS4 TBH. Audi figures are 0-60 in 4.8secs, but apparently several independant tests have shown it can achieve it in around 4.2secs, and if de-limited can push 180MPH+. Also just found out that you can get a new B7 RS4 in the US for just £34,000, which takes the pee really as they cost around £54,000 here in the UK........

They're $180000 here in Australia!!, absolutely love them myself, along with the R8 too. What did suprise me was just how quick a Veyron is next to one, RS4's are blindingly fast, saw a vid on youtube with a Veyron against an R8 which really put into perspective just how quick they really are !! Its ridiculous !! The Veron just dissapears !!

it's all about money at the end of the day ...

Damn straight Doctor. I looked on Autotrader the next day to find me one of these fine cars and the cheapest unwanted ones go for £35'000! Even more a decent one. Each to their own and all that, but in my book, you've got to be rich or stupid surely to spend that kind of money on such a car.

My VR6 is just fine. It still makes a lot of so called fast cars look ordinary and the driving thrill after all these years has still not worn off. Just need to avoid those RS Audis thats all!

Saying that, we werent racing each other. It's good to have a fast car with a sensible driver with you on the motorway as you can both maintain a decent speed and clear cars at the same time etc. Its only when the other car floors it from a lower speed that you have to wait while the VR winds itself up in comparison. When he eventually pulled off at his junction he looked across, nodded and gave the thumbs up sign towards the VR which if im honest, absolutely made my day! I think it would have been soul destroying if he didnt even know i was there.

you have to wait while the VR winds itself up in comparison

.. you need a VSR .. ;)

(Not that just a VSR will mean you're leaving Audi RS*s in your wake of course, just that you won't be waiting so long..)

There was a black B5 on autotrader last week with history for only 10k.

What I can't understand though is why some people on here just can't accept that there are faster cars than a Corrado. An RS4 is simply a quicker car in every respect. Comparing it with a turbo'd Corrado is just pointless, as a modified RS4 would just dust even one of those all over again.

Just love your Corrado for what it is. It's a 20 year old car which is still more than capable of taking a scalp or two in the modern world, such were it's capabilities. Love it for the car it is, enjoy it's character, looks, and charm but don't try and convince me that it's quicker than am RS4, a Boxster S or even a Golf R32 because it isn't.

[dons flamesuit and waits for inevitable argument]

Corozin - agree totally. I'm always being asked how fast my Corrado is - tbh, I don't know how much power it has, how fast it is, I don't really care - I love driving it, I love the way it looks, I don't care that there are faster, longer, lower, more powerful, more economical, expensive cars available

Just love your Corrado for what it is.
I do.

but don't try and convince me that it's quicker than am RS4, a Boxster S or even a Golf R32 because it isn't.
I dont.

Drove my friend's B7 RS4...lol...that things fast. 80-100 in 6th...woah! ! !

Sure a higher powered VRT can beat a RS4...already rolling on the highway in a straight line thats about it.

don't try and convince me that it's quicker than am RS4, a Boxster S or even a Golf R32 because it isn't.

I don't need too because mine was !! ;-) :lol:

Boxster S was a piece of p*ss to beat ;-)

Never raced an RS4 but I did beat a 996 Carrera 4S on the way to the 06 E38 show though ;-)

Sorry John.. 8)

Ben

don't try and convince me that it's quicker than am RS4, a Boxster S or even a Golf R32 because it isn't.

I don't need too because mine was !! ;-) :lol:

Boxster S was a piece of p*ss to beat ;-)

Never raced an RS4 but I did beat a 996 Carrera 4S on the way to the 06 E38 show though ;-)

Sorry John.. 8)

Ben

There are always exceptions to the rule. Last I heard...Corrados didn't come with 340 hp and AWD from the factory. ;-)