KIPVW

Kip's Members Thread

Thanks chaps, yeah the mot mean loves it and always picks up the big screw driver to have a poke round for rust spots lol joking of course.

I have to say I was terrified of the whole task involved but in reality I needn't have worried, there were some real ball aches yes but the knowledge I gained from tackling it was priceless. I actually enjoyed it all looking back even the challenging jobs.

Get the tools out and crack on is my advise as if I can do it anyone can. :-)

Not a good day yesterday as the 8v engine decided to blow up oooops!

It Drove to work fine but coming home after sat in the cold for a few hours all went a bit wrong and smelt awfully fuely and running on 3 cylinders and it used up a lot of coolant which has been changed for G12 last year, economy was only 12 mpg and normally in the late 20's 30's by time i get home, looked under the bonnet and water was actually spraying a fine mist all over the gearbox end.

I'm thinking the head gasket after a few messages from David Wort on facebook or maybe even a cracked head. anyway i'm thinking of not going to the trouble of fixing it as the car has some very serious corrosion issues hence the price i paid in 2009 for it £900.

So with that in mind and the fact it needs new discs & pads and a few other little jobs i may actually break it :( or some of it anyway. I looked at Davids thread after he recently did the same job on his 8v but it involved doing the valve stem seals and a few other bits which all adds up to a few quid that i dont think is worth putting into this particular Corrado, trust me i've thought about it and if i wanted to sell it if it was a runner i'd only get £700 or so with the issues it has so not much point i think.

Sigh, Bad timing though but that's Corrados :lol:

I'll have a think what to do but if anyone is after any interior bits drop me a pm. I'll need to sort a breaking thread i guess but it will only be limited as i dont want to strip everything off it and annoy my neighbours ;)

Edited by KIPVW

Could be worth checking that its not just a coolant leak from a pipe or something thats in turn causing the misfire with the moisture in engine bay,might not be a write off just yet ! 8 valves never die ! not much

Kip - I doubt a HG failure or cracked head would allow water to 'spray' out and still get you home...

I'd have a look at the plastic flange on the side of the head - did it overheat?

Split pipe leaking on to electrics, causing the miss-fire ?

Bad times either way, but hope you get fixed up one way or another.

It didn't overheat as there was still a fair bit of coolant in the header tank, i'll have a good poke around Sunday in daylight as working all day today, be nice if it was just a pipe but the way it was running and how it smelt is making me think otherwise.

I'll keep you posted ;)

Still feel it's getting to the end for it though lol!

What would you do if you had to scrap the 8v mate? Find another 8v? Or buy something non-Corrado...?

Another 8v mate. God I have a problem lol they are just so perfect for daily use and with the winter tyres it was awsome in snow too.

Don't write it off just yet matey. Makes sense to go with what you know- good examples are getting pretty rare now though...

Trouble is Andy this isn't a good example but if it's fixable cheap and quick I'll do it but not spending time I dont have taking it to bits :-(

I know what you're saying Kip. Some days I feel mine is reaching the end of the road. But as long as it fires up first time and keeps passing the MOT without advisories then I'm agrieved to change. I was ready to move on that 60k Silver 8v from wales, but then I realised the one I have runs well enough for my needs. My only gripe (with the exception of the poor paint) is the steering column has developed the classic wobble problem. Something I'll address over the Christmas holidays.

Trouble is like Andy said, I've not seen many "good" examples for quite a while.

yeah no immediate rush to be honest as i am now in training mode for my annual jolly to Majorca with the guys & gals. So i'll be riding the bike a LOT.

I missed it this March due to my crash with the dog and breaking a few bones so i fully intend to even more Awsome on the bike come next March as there are 40 going this year so want to dish a little pain out if you know what i mean ;)

Still looking out for one but not desperate.

Let me know if you need owt via pm.

Well as a replacement for the Satin silver has been sorted i will definitely be breaking it so will start a thread soon. Looking forward to the next chapter already :)

Drop me pm Graeme what you need.

Some requests already so will let you know asap.

Kip.

Well as a replacement for the Satin silver has been sorted i will definitely be breaking it so will start a thread soon. Looking forward to the next chapter already :)

You haven't bought a certain blue pearl effect 2.0 8v have you? It is a very nice looking clean example :thumbleft:

Last ride in the 8v :( so many parts have gone to help others so not all bad.

Yeah a few more bits I could haver taken off but wanted to get shut & done ok with it really so can't complain :-) Bless it.

You could have rebuilt it paul then you would have had three mint corrado's :shrug:

Well it's been a while since i posted in her so thought i'd bump it with the new addition, I was lucky enough to see that David Wort was about to sell his 8v and as i knew it was in decent shape I thought i'd have it lol!

Picked it up last week and totally love it! it just Zings along beautifully on the motorway.

I dont really need to do anything as David did quite a bit to it already so Chapeau to him ;) I have though gone a bit retro with the radio and fitted an old Sony Mini Disc player i had in stock just for that retro feel :)

Plus a little wash today and a new rear VW Badge to smarten up the rear.

Happy Days