KIPVW

Kip's Members Thread

You were mate I thought it was yours for the taking! Very close. Sorry cant afford a runner up prize :lol:

wow kipvw, that's a serious trip to the part counter, bet they'll will look forward to your next trip, you may even get a complementary cup of tea while they're loading all your goodies into your car, lol

this amount would keep a small african country in food for a year:flasingsmile:

Good on you

Hopefully getting the new rear screen in today :) will get some pics later if so....

Most of the parts are now here and just waiting for the new driveshafts to be delivered tomorrow then have to start thinking about the rebuild.

Has anyone used one of these before?? I like the idea but not sure so would appreciate any comments on this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STANDARD-TILTING-CAR-LIFT-MOBILE-LIFT-TILTER-RAMPS-CJAUTOS-CL03-/230769314618?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item35baec4b3a#ht_589wt_952

Edited by KIPVW

bet they'll will look forward to your next trip,

Im not looking forward to it..... he has my money!! :shock:

That looks rather good!

Will be interested to see how your rear screen fitment goes. Have you got a new seal? Looking to get this done myself at some stage, but wasn't sure if the rear screens were still available. Would be very worried about getting it done properly!

Has anyone used one of these before?? I like the idea but not sure so would appreciate any comments on this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STANDARD-TILTING-CAR-LIFT-MOBILE-LIFT-TILTER-RAMPS-CJAUTOS-CL03-/230769314618?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item35baec4b3a#ht_589wt_952

I am planning on getting one of these when my new garage is finished. Think its the perfect compromise between full on lift and jack and axle stands.

Jay

Screen is now out and just removing sealant :)

Think the seals are obsolete now Andy but they only push in so can be carefully removed to use again.

Them Autoplus guys are the bees knees :)

Edited by KIPVW

Also considered one of those lifts. Never liked the idea of lifting the car from one point, least that woudl spread the weight. Not sure how it would be with a lowered car though. £325 isnt a bad price

Kip check this site out -

http://www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/

Im considering these actually - http://www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/hyramp.html

Edited by Critical_Mass

What happened to the screen Paul ? Not suffered any damage I hope ?

And do my eyes decieve me, or are those Oakley glasses bags over the h'brake/gearstick ?

Edited by James.

What happened to the screen Paul ? Not suffered any damage I hope ?

only little scratches from ages ago that no-one really ever noticed... other than judges of course

And do my eyes decieve me, or are those Oakley glasses bags over the h'brake/gearstick ?

They are indeed. Nowt but the best for this Corrado!!

Gaz, yeah i've looked at a lot of their stuff before in the flesh at the NEC classic car show but the tilt ramp caught my eye as you can remove the subframe/rear axle etc whereas you cant with the hydraulic wheel ramps.

Might be making a purchase at that price then. :)

James, Rumbled on the Oakley Bags :lol: And as Jude says some scratches that were annoying the ass off me so had to be done.

Ah New Glass! :)

Edited by KIPVW

I have wondered myself on that Gaz so i think i may go see them for a demo!

ah fair enough mate. I was just wondering what the tilt ramp would do to the under side of the car.

I have wondered myself on that Gaz so i think i may go see them for a demo!
You've got to remember the VWs have a PVC underseal skin which never really sets. It doesn't grip the sill and floor pan well like paint in lateral directions and its not meant to be load bearing, more impact damage protection.

So under the weight of the Corrado the underseal could act as a lubricant. At best it could mark. At worst it could rip the underseal, just as the garage lift hoist do. Depending how it tilts, ie. free to swing or damped swing, will have an influence. Any sudden change of attitude, may induce a slip not so much the lift to sill underseal but more the underseal to sill panel due to the lack of surface grip between the sill phosphate coating and the PVC underseal.

And placing towels/old blankets to protect from the lifting frame has the same risk of just slipping.

I love the delicacy this baby gets. The fitter looks like he's fitted a million screens before, so much so he needs a hair cut! Lol

My rear screen has weld burns in it! So will have to be doing the same soon

I have thought a lot about it RW1 and still not sure, i just know without it refurbing underneath is going to be a pain in the neck :(

Rams, you are correct! these boys know what they are doing and apply so much care it's unreal. Just cant praise them enough really.

I have thought a lot about it RW1 and still not sure, i just know without it refurbing underneath is going to be a pain in the neck :(.

Its just a point you need to assess when you go to see it. But I can envisage it possibly leaving depression in the underseal at best and one always has an eye for that and it then nags. Look at it this way, how many times are you going to take the back axle/front subframe off??? So do you really need that particular type off car lift........

I had contemplated the jack stands above but the mechanical version with ratchet socket spanner, as hydraulics rot with time & little use. So it could prove costly in replacement parts. Only cost and amount of use put me off.

Decided to stick to what I do now in the end. Jacks and axle stands as I've always done.

I wrecked the underseal at the points where I used a two post lift to raise the car, but that was a month or so after I refurbished it so it was still soft- so I re applied the underseal and just made some 3/4" ply plates with foam tops (camping mat cut up) to spread the load and no damage was done second time round. A rotisserie is what you need really isn't it? No more lying underneath the car getting grit in your eyes/ mouth, aching arms, sore neck, etc

Ah good info there Kip, am thinking axle stands as RW1 suggests with some ply and matting on it.

Thanks!

Well the refurb has begun and today saw the subframe come off to get blasted and a much needed coat of fresh paint. was an enjoyable task to be honest and only one bolt that goes into the rear wishbone bush was rounded off so I hacksawed the head off through the rear bush as it was being replaced with all new anyway and once the load from the bolt was released the threaded stub simply unscrewed by hand :) was happy about that i can tell you.

Borrowed an engine brace from the legend that is Mr Brunyee, cheers dave! and seems all ok so far.

I removed the cat too as the heat shield bracket was broken so easier to get welded up off the car i thought and the 3 bolt came out quite easy after a good overnight soak in WD40 :)

Also took the bonnet off to enable more room and light to see too, plus i couldn't use the prop to hold up the bonnet with the garage door open with the car being jacked up so high.

Got new driveshafts to go on but the finish in the drivers side one wasn't great so decided to rub it back and give it a better finish before it goes on. will be taking the flap wheel to the subframe tomorrow to remove some of the surface corrosion before i take it in.

Got all new hard brake lines from Volksworld13 too so hope to start with them also as i'm sure they'll be stubborn to remove.

And lots of general tidying up underneath before the whole lot goes back on and then it's the back end's turn. :)

Edited by KIPVW

Wow, thought this car was immaculate, looks like it will be perfect when done.

Top work

Rich