Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

I'm losing the will to continue.......

Over the past five years, Corrado ownership has cost me a wopping 7.5K, Integra Type R ownership has cost me 1.5K, although I've done 55K in the Corrado and only 38 in the Integra. Both are now on 130K ish. The Integra is a better car in just about every respect, and I did sell my Corrado because I thought it just wasn't worth the hassle.....then I had to bought it back off the bloke I sold it to because I missed it so much.... :lol: He was very understanding and it had already broken down on him so he wasn't too hesitant...

Sell it and buy a low mileage example maybe? I've just sold my Integra though, and I miss the engine noise massively, but it is paying for my 3.2 conversion which should sound just as good :lol:

:offtopic1: Oooooh, Integra Type R. What year is it?

Have to admit that at the moment I'm also thinking of selling the C. :shock:

The car only gets a run out once or twice a week, as I walk to work and the girlfriend has her own car, which is alot more practical for shopping, kids, holiday trips, etc. (C boot full with ICE gear and tools).

Had it for about 18 months and the list of jobs to do on it never seems to diminish, on top of the bits that seem to go wrong every few months.

BUT.............I still enjoy driving it and I'll never get anywhere near what I bought it for, never mind the money I've spent on it over the past year or so.

So at the moment I have full sympathy for you. Let us know how you get on. :(

I hardly use my rado and constantly think of selling it, even though I've only had this one less than a year and in the current market I'd lose a shed load of money considering what I've spent, but every time I get in it and drive it, I put up with the niggles and it convinces me to keep it a bit longer.

Hondon't do it. :lol:

Over the past five years, Corrado ownership has cost me a wopping 7.5K, Integra Type R ownership has cost me 1.5K, although I've done 55K in the Corrado and only 38 in the Integra. Both are now on 130K ish. The Integra is a better car in just about every respect, and I did sell my Corrado because I thought it just wasn't worth the hassle.....then I had to bought it back off the bloke I sold it to because I missed it so much.... :lol: He was very understanding and it had already broken down on him so he wasn't too hesitant...

LMAO! Thats class :D I think it's sad to see people sell them on really. Mine has caused me nothing but grief for awhile now but I love driving it. I think it's a bit nuts to expect one nower days to be ok for a daily driver (a few are, but they're generally low mileage and well looked after)

I hope I won't be joining the ranks. Although mine also gets a short one once a week if it's lucky :/

Ive been away over New Years so ive lost track of this topic. We've been to Portsmouth for New Years, we went down in my mates mk4 golf GTI. 200miles there, 170 miles driving here there and everywhere sorting things, then 200 miles back. and it didnt miss a beat. Now i know for a fact that the C wouldnt have managed to do the trip, and THAT is why its going.

I know i'll want another one at some point, but i'll make sure i take a LONG time to get the right one. So now i essentially have £5k with which to buy a newer car. I did have a big list, but i think ive chosen a Seat Ibiza Cupra. 2001 models with 50k on the clock can be found for £5k, and they seem fairly reliable. I did have other cars in the shortlist, such as an Integra, Focus ST170, BMW 3 series etc. It came down to the Integra and Ibiza. My mate used to have an Integra and they're very nice cars, and super reliable, but unfortunately i know sod all about them, whereas with the Ibiza i do, plus i dont fancy leaving the VW scene in general.

So, the C is on the way out and an Ibiza is on the way back in. The only was i'd own a C again would be as a 2nd car, and if i had at least £6k to buy a bloody decent VR6.

Everyone needs to own an Integra at some point. Here's a clip from EVO on there 'best front wheel drive of all time' 21 car shoot out test jobbie, won by the Integra...

"It's a car as sweet and all consuming as any I've experienced at any price, and as pure and focused in it's own way as any Porsche RS. Forget the accolade of greatest front wheel drive car. The Integra Type'R ranks as one of the truly great drivers' cars of all time"

If you own one for just a small period you'll see what they are on about. I really wish I still had mine, but I had to to pay to replace the engine my bloody Corrado, which would be worthless if I had tried to sell it fecked. Gone on think about it some more :lol: , that's not saying that an Ibiza isn't a good car, but why go for a normal car when you can have a great one? Also an Integra won't deppreciate.

I know the feeling too...Mines given me more grief than i could possibly ever be bothered to list here :?

Its still got a running fault that its had for nearly 3 friggin years i think! I reckon the whole forum inc cgti and others know about it :lol:

Best bet is to tackle one issue at once,no matter how small.May sound obvious i know...but if you manage even a small job on it,it makes you feel a little better about it.

Neil.

I understand that it wont depreciate and is a 'different' car. But the last time i went for something 'special' that would hold its value i got a corrado, and look how that went :lol:

Ive seen the 1996/1997 Integra Type R's go for £5kish. Unfortunately though with the majority of Jap cars the interior is proper naff. I love the styling of them, and i know from my dad's Accord that they are reliable, and damn fast i should imagine, but i dont think i could stand being in that cabin all day.

Basically im going to have around £5k to spend. So i'll be looking at 2001 plate Cupra R's with around 70k on the clock

Interesting reading and I've had a few thoughts about depreciation, maintenance costs, relaibility, driveability, rarity, creature comforts etc. of different cars whilst looking through this thread.

An Ibiza Cupra/Cupra R is a good choice I reckon for you in a number of ways, (you should also be able to get a 2002 180T Leon cupra on 60K miles for around £5.5k too.) but when you factor in all running costs including depreciation don't expect any car to cost you little or nothing to run.

There's a fair few bits on a more modern 1.8T based car that will cost you more to maintain than a 1.8 16v.

Well they only made 75 Ibiza Cupra R's, and at least 10 have been written off, so i dont think finding one of those is likely.

Ive been looking into the Integra DC2 a little more though. Pretty much described as a 'drivers' care, very communicative steering and handling etc. The only think that puts me off is the fact that the suspension and brakes need regular work. Not sure how regular, but the braking and suspension system can prove to be the most expensive area on a car to buy for.

Its still something to consider though. At the minute im just thinking that an Ibiza gives me what im after. They look perfectly good in standard form (unlike the mk4 golf 1.8T) and with a few small touches they an be made to be pretty nippy.

Should have kept my gob shut!

Moment I mention selling my C and the girlfriends car is violated by a F*rd KA! :shock:

Ended up with a massive scrape down the side and so its off to the bodyshop for some serious re-touching, including the alloys for some reason?!

No courtesy car with her insurance company so the Corrado's needed for a few weeks at least for her trek to work, shops and kids, etc.

Think this is a message from above that I should keep my C just in case. :?

Ive been away over New Years so ive lost track of this topic. We've been to Portsmouth for New Years, we went down in my mates mk4 golf GTI. 200miles there, 170 miles driving here there and everywhere sorting things, then 200 miles back. and it didnt miss a beat. Now i know for a fact that the C wouldnt have managed to do the trip, and THAT is why its going.

Out of interest, would your car genuinely not manage 600 miles? I'd not put up with anything that was that bad. Mine do 250-300 miles week in, week out barely missing a beat, and I fully intend to drive to Scotland for a wedding in the Spring, with hopefully, 2 passengers, and I've no qualms that the 16v will manage that.

Admittedly the VR6 shat itself this week, but I've been expecting it for a long time, and I probably shouldn't have pushed it for so long. No matter. I'll just start collecting parts a little sooner than I hoped.

You lose confidence in a car when it lets you down on more than one occassion naturally, and I try not to do long trips in the C. As i'm scared of the exact same thing. Even though yeah ok things pop off and go wrong (older cars, it's natural :D) but the k-jet compared with a lot of engines in the same grade will generally go on forever and be a lot more reliable. It'll eat up M miles. (Aslong as theres nothing seriously wrong with it :lol: )

The thing is skinnyman9000, after you have sorted the brakes, you will have replaced most of the major components on the car so surely there will be nothing more major that could go wrong?

Or am I just being overly optiistic? :lol:

But, it sounds like you have well and truely fallen out of love with your C, so sell it and upgrade to something more modern.

The thing is skinnyman9000, after you have sorted the brakes, you will have replaced most of the major components on the car so surely there will be nothing more major that could go wrong?

Or am I just being overly optiistic? :lol:

But, it sounds like you have well and truely fallen out of love with your C, so sell it and upgrade to something more modern.

This was the discussion i was having with my dad. He said i should sort the throttle/brake problem, and then get 12months MOT on it before i sell it. But then i pointed out, by the time i've done that there would be no sense in selling it, as it would be pretty much completely sorted?

Its all swings and roundabouts really. Plus with the luck i've had with the car i can imagine deciding to keep it, getting all the problem fixed, and then having something happen like the gearbox give way, or have a major crash.

I think i have fallen out of love with it, ive been driving it (despite it being rough) for the past few days, and im still perfectly happy to sell it. A few months ago that just wouldnt of happened.

But then i guess with £5k there is the other choice, get a VR6.........

Or buy renshaws 24v

Haha, yes that would make an excellent daily!

To be honest even if i got it fixed i still wouldnt be confident in the car, i'd rather it go to someone else as i would be afraid to spend any unnecessary money on it, which isn't a good thing.

Problem is im now starting to look at Ford Focus ST170's........

To be honest if you really can't be arsed with the car that much then I wouldn't really get a VR6 till you've got a bit of money behind you, because although for 5k you could buy a cracker of a VR they have their own problems. I do like the ST170s, and if I had the money to afford that as a daily and to keep the raddo, I would. But to be perfectly honest I'd never love a 170 in the same way I do the Corrado lol. Not ever :lol:

Oh definately, im not looking for another car to 'love' as such (without that sounding disturbing). But the Focus seems very reliable, handlines brilliantly, and looks decent. However, the performance figures are great, and the engines can achieve 200bhp easily, but beyond that i've been told to start looking at uprating the pistons, which is cack for a 30bhp increase, especially when you look at what the standard 1.8T pistons can handle.

So i think the decision has been made for a Seat Ibiza Cupra. 190/200bhp with minimum fuss, thankyou very much

Stick with it i say. My VR has a pretty poor conversion from a 16v, wiring is untidy and the loom shorted and fused itself together back in october. There is very little interior and when i got it the heater matrix was bypassed. since then I've had misfires and crazy temp gague all in a couple of weeks. All this for £3k.

I don't have kids or a mortgage, my only commitment is work 9-5 therefore i have plenty of free time, so i get suck in when owt goes wrong. I have the option of cycling to work if needs be so if its off the road for a few days its not problem. Oh, and i have no driveway and no garage, all work is done on a sheffield street.

I use the car every day, have covered 4k miles in as many months and did 600 miles to edinburgh and back in 4 days last week.

What I'm trying to say is that if you can afford the time, and have the option of not having a car for a few days try keeping it but doing bits and bobs yourself. The one thing you wont be able to do, the engine, is already done, everything else is possible no?

Oh, and you can get the 'tow me anywhere' RAC option for £7 a month if all else fails! :lol:

theres an age old saying (ok I just made it up but it sounds age old).

A Corrado without breakdown cover is like a dog without a leash :D

As i found when the oil pump died and pissed ALL my oil onto the road. AA cover ran out the month before and they wanted £120 to take me 2 miles to my local garage :lol:

I'm gonna fix it then go for a Ibiza Cupra. The ease of power is just silly to pass up really