Sign in to follow this  
toon vw

The 4mo has gone the journey.......

Well after having my vr6 up for sale for a while, a deposit was taken a while back & it will be picked up in a week or 2 :(

After a bit of searching & debating on what would replace it (wanted something of ' similar ' performance but a bit newer)i opted for a golf 4mo.

Got quite a good deal i think aswell, x reg 2000, 61k miles, fvwsh, full recaro heated leather :D :D etc

Thoughts on it so far are pretty positive tbh, i find it very torquey from very low down even in 6th, don't know if its quite as rapid as my vr but then again i don't know if it just does'nt ' feel ' as quick if you know what i mean.

Only down side i can see at the minute is the dreadful fuel economy, around 25 or 26 mixed driving which is about 5 or 6 mpg less than my rado, but i did know that before i bought it so can't complain too much :?

I can honestly say even now before my vr has even left my driveway that i am missing it & will at some point in the future be the owner of another one, probably as a second car tho' next time!!

I will still be on here quite a bit as there is a hell of a lot of general vw knoledge knocking around....not to mention its a bloody good laugh reading some of these posts aswell.

Andy :shock:

Congrats on the new purchase Andy and i bet you will miss the Rado, is it staying local?

Lets have some piccies of the Golf up then...

Golf 4Mo is a damned good car that will probably always live in the shadow of the R32. Given a free choice I'd probably opt for a 4Mo with some sensible mods to get an R32 slayer with street sleeper looks and money left over

Yeah michael its staying local......to you anyway, its going down on the south coast mate :lol: , all i'll say is it 'll be staying on the forum so thats great for me to see its progress!

I'll get some pics up as soon as the weather lifts a bit.

Well chuffed with it so far tho' :D

Andy

Lucky you :) I really like the Golf V6 4Mo for the fact that its nice and understated and has nice performance. The 4 wheel drive is one big bonus and the MK4 cabin is just a generally comfortable place to spend large amounts of time anyway so its a winner all round :)

I have a chum down in Bournemouth with a supercharged 4Motion and it pretty much slays everything on the road. 320bhp...

And unlike an R32 it's a street sleeper. You'd never guess when it's parked up that it's anything other than a smart, debadged silver MkIV Golf even though it's on 18" BBS LMs.

Well done, bonny lad. 8)

Bet this car shifts its @rse a bit swifter than does them magpies at the moment!

HA HA my first car was a fiat 126 with a 650cc ' lump ' which went a damn sight better than the toon at the minute :(

Very smart. 3 door and black = spot on (imo). Excellent choice 8)

A sensible drop onto some 18" BBS LMs would finish it off beautifully.

You're right about the 24v engine, it is MUCH torquier than the 12V between 1600 and 3500rpm. All thanks to Cosworth who designed the head and intake arrangments.

Due to the tidy slug low down, I find the 24V 'feels' flat from 4000, but the 12V with a schrick is the same. It's not flat as such, just the torque peters off a bit making you think it's slowing down a bit.

Yeah it does feel a bit flat at high revs in comparison the VR but then again what would'nt!!

Apparently a good remap would sort that out a bit & it does'nt cost the earh either :D

Really enjoying it at the mo although its not without its problems either, the rear wiper does'nt work (very common problem apparently) & the rear discs are down to the limit but then again that opens options aswell :lol:

Greeny, Keep a hold of your motor mate, its a complete beauty man !! I am definately regretting getting rid of my VR already (& its still sitting on the drive) but i think overall i am making the right decision for a car that i use every day but never the less would love to be able to keep my VR aswell :(

very nice looking example mate :) , i bought one a few months ago for work / daily driver and they're lovely, with a few nice mods can be made very interesting too!

heres a couple of pics of mine after 'Herisites' had worked his magic on it :D

they are 18's mate 18x8" BBS RC's, seems to ride very nicely on them not too crashy at all!

drop wise she's running H&R Coilies but i'm not 100% sure what the drop is as they were put on by the previous owner, its actually a bit too low for my liking and i'm having them dialed back up a bit, rear seems a bit lower than the front on mine! The sumps are only ally on them and its too easy to damage them so i'm thinking a bit of added height might save on some big bills later.

Yep there's a spoiler too, its basically got the full VAG Anniversary kit

Very very nice, are they 18's? much of a drop?

I gotta get a rear spoiler fitted me thinks !!

Ive got a 4mo too mate, very understated imho. I also had the same engine in the Rado but with some small mods - Magnex, K&N, Custom-Code remap = 234 BHP & 216 lb/ft. Those mods made the engine awesome! I plan on doing it to the 4mo when I have some money, which after xmas may be a while :lol:

I stuck some Santa Monica's on too, as I think theyre one of the best wheels for a MKIV.

Have a look at Jay Renshaws for some good handling mods.

If you want some good suspension for cheap then you can fit S3 suspension to it. Slightly uprated/lower but not too much as the 4mo doesnt handle too badly anyway, and the ride height is decent as standard.

Hi mate, yeah i've seen you on the mkiv forum aswell, a definate step forward with the santas on, the standard alloys are far too small imo.

Still getting used to it at the minute, but loving it already, the amount of grip you get from a standing start is unbelievable especially in the wet :shock:

I've read Jay's thread about his 4mo already, very interesting reading & if i only had a quarter of his knoledge/ability i would be getting stuck in right now but as it stands i'll wait till the spring time then maybe a modest brake upgrade of some sort might be on the cards then have a look at the handling perhaps.

I am missing driving my VR6 very much at the mo especially when i see it sitting on my driveway everyday, never mind at least i have the luxury of these heated recaro's to warm my bum every morning as way of compensation :lol: :lol:

Andy

toon vw

Nearly fell off the seat when I read you've sold the vr....you should have got yourself a set of recaro leather heated seats for the Vr6 then you'd have been sorted :wink: Anyway good luck with the new one it looks a beutiful car.....I nearly bought a golf 4motion a few years ago with delivery miles on it, with same gorgeous leather interior as your car from a certain stealer's up here called Mr Clark but had to refuse at £19K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (although the missus did say "buy-it"; she doesn't appreciate money but appreciates good cars!!).

Instead I bought a VW polo tdi and a Vr6 to make up for the disappointment of my lack of courage....anyway enjoy the new car and whoever is buying the vr is getting a lovely car with great seats :D

Hey Steve how you doin ?

No complaints about the seats in my corrado, definately worth the 2 trips ha ha!!

I can see the appeal of your recaro's mate eapecially in this weather :lol: :lol:

Good to see you're still live & kicking on the forum anyway & no doubt still enjoying your beasty

If you're ever thinking of getting something a little newer i would definatley recommend the 4motion for the performance, handling & just being a bit more modern in the way of having a few more creature comforts & a few less squeaks & rattles :D but it still does'nt compare in terms of sheer character tho'........i will be back, i'm sure.

Andy

Any plans for getting rid of the wood mate? Think Im gonna get the standard black surround for mine, the R32 stuff is stupidly expensive!!!! :shock:

Yeah that sounds like a plan, the wood does'nt exactly turm me on like, i feel like lighting up a pipe sometimes when i get in !! :lol:

Will have to look at some of the options to replace it with but i agree the R32 stuff is a bit on the pricey side :(

the wood does'nt exactly turm me on like, (

No it's usually the female equivalent that gets me going, lol.

I also have just bought a mk4 4motion at Xmas. Very nice except it's an ex smokers car and so it smells and there is a 2 inch burn mark through the leather recaros to the sponge. Ar$ehole.

the wood does'nt exactly turm me on like, (

No it's usually the female equivalent that gets me going, lol.

I also have just bought a mk4 4motion at Xmas. Very nice except it's an ex smokers car and so it smells and there is a 2 inch burn mark through the leather recaros to the sponge. Ar$ehole.

Mine was smoked in too, its finally disappearing now, although in fairness I havent done that much to get rid of it all apart from a little steam clean.

Anyway, wheres the pics mate? I want to see the Beigeness!!! :lol:

Anyway, wheres the pics mate? I want to see the Beigeness!!! :lol:

Here you go - beigemongous!

editedgolf.jpg

I never liked the wood in the black interior - it was like a black suit and brown shoes, or collars not matching cuffs. But I think it's good with the beige interior!

DSC00669.jpg

I want to put some colour coded beige centred LMs on. That should stop it looking like my dad's car!

BEIGE!