nocrap

Foglight lense removal

Used search but cant find the answer.

How the heck do you remove the lense from a late foglight??

I've used a hairdryer, scalpel, screwdrive, basically anything i could think of..........

The fog light lense is siliconed in, or VW's equivalent of silicone.

I had to remove mine, but it was broken, so did'nt have to worry about breaking it. Perserverance as my old man would say

Good Luck

Dic :)

If it's already cracked and you're planning to replace the glass then smash it and remove all the remaining glass and sealant... not sure what you should do if it's not broken though - don't think you can run a craft knife round the out side of it :?

You cant remove the glass without trashing the plastic holder :-( as mentioned if the glass is broken

get busy with a hammer and a large flat blade screwdriver

:lol: OK cheers. I was thinking that that might be the only way, i'm just trying to avoid having 2 broken foglights....

Someone told me to put it in the oven for a bit to soften the silicone then just run a sharp knife it & hey presto !!

Think you might have to do it when your lass is out tho' :lol:

Andy

Think you might have to do it when your lass is out tho' :lol:

Yeah, like when i need to wash car parts in the dishwasher! :lol:

silicone doesnt go "soft" when it heats up or indeed change its physical properties under almost any conditions

thats why we spend lots of cash swapping the rubber hoses over to nice shiney Samco ones 8)

(tried to find a nerd smiley but failed :lol: )

I have the same problem of having to remove a damaged lense from a good backing and a good lense from a damaged backing to make one good light. Does anyone know if there are any easier ways of doing this or do I just need lots of patience? I've also heard its best to use seam sealer and not silicon to fix the lense back in, does this sound right?

I have the same problem of having to remove a damaged lense from a good backing and a good lense from a damaged backing to make one good light. Does anyone know if there are any easier ways of doing this or do I just need lots of patience? I've also heard its best to use seam sealer and not silicon to fix the lense back in, does this sound right?

Hacksaw the damaged backing in a few places and then remove the bits from the lens, and break the knackered lens from the good backing bit by bit.

I would use tigerseal (can get it from rollins in wrexham) to bond the lens back on as its designed for sticking windscreens back in so it bonds very well to glass and sets in about 20 minutes and you can get it in grey, white or black.

It depends what type of seam sealer it is though as some are a non setting mastic type which wont work, some go brittle when they get hot and others are a polyurethane adhesive similar to tigerseal.

Why not just buy a set of replacement lenses from this guy:

http://www.chrisolmstead.com/Corrado/index.htm

Well recommended, I used a set on mine and they look bloody loveley! Do try to avoid the temptation to "clean" the reflectors with anything other than midly soapy water as the silvering will come off if you use anything stronger!! ;-)

Dan

Coolrado, will get some tigerseal from Rollins later and spend some time to take them apart.

Danvw, I already have a good lense on the car its just the original backing thats discoloured. If I break it getting off at least I have another option.

Cheers Guys

Hacksaw the damaged backing in a few places and then remove the bits from the lens, and break the knackered lens from the good backing bit by bit.

I would use tigerseal (can get it from rollins in wrexham) to bond the lens back on as its designed for sticking windscreens back in so it bonds very well to glass and sets in about 20 minutes and you can get it in grey, white or black.

It depends what type of seam sealer it is though as some are a non setting mastic type which wont work, some go brittle when they get hot and others are a polyurethane adhesive similar to tigerseal.

Got the lenses off no problem but strugling to get some tigerseal. Rollins have run out but have some due in later in the week. Does anyone know of an alternative or is it only tigerseal that is upto the job.

people have used decent quality silicone without any problems, or you could use the loctite adhesive sealant you can get in halfords.

How did you get the lenses off alonso?

I just smashed the cracked lense with a hammer and centre punch (make sure your wearing eye protection) then broke off all the big pieces with a pair of pliers. I then cut the sealant with a stanley type knife and then slide a thin fat screwdriver under the glass and it all slowly came out. Cleaned the rest of the sealant out with a sharper flat screwdriver and stanley knife. To get the good lense out of the poor backing I just cut it with a hacksaw then used the same method with the knife to cut the sealant and the screwdriver to carefully pry the plastic away.

Coolrado, Thanks for your advice, Will try Rollins again on Wednesday but if its not in I'll give halfards a try.

Managed to get Tetrosyls direct equivelant to Tiger seal, its Joint sealer CJS310 and its a polyurethane adhesive sealent. A few quid cheaper too. I cleaned all the old sealant of the lense with washing up liquid & warm water on a scotch brite pad ( a bit like a pan scrubber) then left it by a radiator to fully dry out. I put the sealant in the housing and placed the warm lense on top. The results are excellent. Thanks for your help and advice guys, this saved a lot of money over the cost of buying a new foglight.

Was looking through my "hoard" of bits yesterday for something else and I came across a set of new foglight lenses. Think I got them from the states a year or two back through someone on here? Anyway. I must get round to doing this.