VRTrickster

Vented 256 Rear Discs, Can It Be Done?

After stupidly buying some 4 Motion rear calipers on the VR6OC, Ive been wondering if there is any way of fitting the 256 vented discs for these calipers?

I know that it probably isnt going to be straight forward, and I'd have to get the mk4 rear stub axles on. Only thing is, the calipers bolt on to the MK4 axle beam. I was wondering if I would be able to get a MK4 rear beam and cut off the face that the stub axle bolts to, and weld it to the Corrado beam?

Ive seached the web for anyone that has actually carried out this conversion with no luck!

Do you think this is going to be more work than its worth? Should I sell the calipers on, and stick with the tea cup saucers?

It's worth it if you can be arsed mate.......but the method you've described is pretty much how to do it. Some welding required :-(

I got in contact with 16VG60, as I looked up that he had apparently done the 256 conversion to a MK2.

Some good news, he replied. He told me that he had developed a vented rear brake package for the Corrado which can utilize either the 256mm 4 Motion vented rear discs or 288mm vented discs.

Im going to give him a call to see whats involved :)

I've got the mk4 calipers already and a spare set of 256 vented discs from a 4mo and wondered if I could fit them using other parts. I think the 280 rears could look like overkill on a 2.8 24v conversion!

You need to bin the stub axle and fit the mk4 rear hub. JMR welded his on I believe (or fabbed an adaptor or something) but it's not a direct bolt-on onto the Corrado trailing arm. I think some of the guys on here researched a Polo or Lupo rear hub that apparently has the same bolt pattern as the Corrado stub axle but I think there were a few caveats with that also.

Bear in mind MK4s don't have a bias proportioning valve. It's all done electronically (via the ABS) according to suspension angle so I don't know how effective they'd be on a Corrado. I know most of us with the 280mm conversions didn't really notice a lot!

I think some of the guys on here researched a Polo or Lupo rear hub that apparently has the same bolt pattern as the Corrado stub axle but I think there were a few caveats with that also.

You can bolt the 6N2 Polo stub axle on, and use 9N3 Polo hub/bearing to give you 5x100.

If the car has ABS you need to do something about the ABS rotor, as the 9N3 hubs have one of those magnetic type ones, not punchd out metal ones, and dont know if the hub is machined to the same size where the rotor sits.

Does the mk4 carrier then bolt straight up to it or is there a offset problem?

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

If you decide to go the welded route I'm breaking an Octavia and the shell is off to the scrappers next week, I'd be happy to slice the hub mounting faces off the axle and supply the hubs and bearings too. The ABS rings on the MK4 and Corrado are the same part number.

I already have a 256mm set up and the hub faces sliced off a previous Toledo I broke with the intentions of doing exactly the same as yourself. I was going to get my bro to mill off the excesses to true the mounting plates and get a local welder to fix the plates to the Corrado axle for me.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

If you decide to go the welded route I'm breaking an Octavia and the shell is off to the scrappers next week, I'd be happy to slice the hub mounting faces off the axle and supply the hubs and bearings too. The ABS rings on the MK4 and Corrado are the same part number.

I already have a 256mm set up and the hub faces sliced off a previous Toledo I broke with the intentions of doing exactly the same as yourself. I was going to get my bro to mill off the excesses to true the mounting plates and get a local welder to fix the plates to the Corrado axle for me.

Does the mk4 carrier then bolt straight up to it or is there a offset problem?

There are two different lots of MK4 carriers, those for 2wd cars with 256mm rears like Anniversary and late V5, and then those on the 4-Motion with 256mm rears, and think there is about a 6mm offset difference between the two, but don't know which one works for this swap.