Sign in to follow this  
n3p

Do any mods actually lower insurance?

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knew if any mods to the C will actually lower insurance? It's not that I can't afford to insure my C (all mods listed), just out of curiousity really ;). I was thinking that mods such as the HID upgrade or Lupo wipers make the car much safer to drive in, thus lowering the risk. Do the insurance companies see it like this? Or perhaps adrianflux?

btw - insured with Admiral until april, definately won't be renewing!

Security.

See, I thought you were going to come back with a smart-ass comment like "I do". Disappointing Tom, you're getting slow in your old age :lol:

But yeah, a Cat 1 alarm (god knows why because all alarms seem to do is annoy people, but ho hum) and Tracker will lower your insurance. However, I very much doubt whether it'd lower your insurance by more than the cost of getting the Tracker and paying the subscription for it.

Yeah - security is all. Things you'd hope WOULD help, like enormous brakes put your insurance up :(

although, other than security, there are no mods that actually really gain any discount, with us (probably not the case everywhere) it can sometimes be cheaper to insure a modified car. We have certain schemes that only quote if the car is modified so these dont show if we enter a modified car and can sometimes (not always) come out cheaper. Things like brakes, although they dont lower the premium often dont increase it either.

Martin :)

although, other than security, there are no mods that actually really gain any discount, with us (probably not the case everywhere) it can sometimes be cheaper to insure a modified car. We have certain schemes that only quote if the car is modified so these dont show if we enter a modified car and can sometimes (not always) come out cheaper. Things like brakes, although they dont lower the premium often dont increase it either.

Martin :)

Cheers Martin, that will be the definitive answer then ;)

Security.

See, I thought you were going to come back with a smart-ass comment like "I do". Disappointing Tom, you're getting slow in your old age :lol:

But yeah, a Cat 1 alarm (god knows why because all alarms seem to do is annoy people, but ho hum) and Tracker will lower your insurance. However, I very much doubt whether it'd lower your insurance by more than the cost of getting the Tracker and paying the subscription for it.

See, I contemplated it but a) I was dashing off to work and b) I thought it was a tad obvious. You know I prefer more high-brow humour :D

Might not be classed as a MOD but being in a reputable car club can provide some discount from insurers.

Have also had this argument with Insurers over bigger or better brakes adding to the cost of insurance. "Yes if you keep your current bog standard 17 year plus set-up your insurance will remain the same, but if you add state of the art stoppers which are more reliable, work in the wet and reduce braking distance and therefore safety, you wll have to pay more" :?

Maybe there's a case for insurance discounts for cars modded to the point that they're so heinously ugly that no-one in their right mind would steal them? It could count as a sort of passive theft deterence - Carlos Fandango wheels, a rear wing stolen from a Boeing 747, a really nasty bodykit and a custom paint job from Stevie Wonder Customs Inc. :)

Your Mum.

Added mine and insurance came down quite a bit.

:D I did that and it worked for a while, but I checked again this time mine came up for renewal and the premium went up when I did.

My mum crashed before crimbo so she has put mine up :roll:

I think she may have put up a few forum members as well. Insurance, that is. By crashing, of course.

My mum crashed before crimbo so she has put mine up :roll:

I think she may have put up a few forum members as well. Insurance, that is. By crashing, of course.

She actually reversed off the drive into a neighbours car, whilst he was stood on the drive. Quality stuff considering she hasnt crashed in the 12yrs she's been driving!