Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

Wet Carpet!

rain has stopped and carpet is dryer than yesterday. looks like it was the rain so next job it to check where it was coming in.

I'll check all the places you said it could be

if your cars had a door skin welded on at any stage then the frame may sit slightly out leading to water entering through the seals on the top of the door,should have a wet rear well if this is the case - happened to my 16v mk 2 and only when it poured,fixed it by putting a couple of pencils between the rubber seal and the door frame - bit of a bodge but seemed to work and at least I know when a pencil is if i need to write!!

just a thought...............

dark yellow,you sure you did not leave the door unlocked and the local kids did not play a prank............only kidding

I've been having similar problems aswell :mad: The rear passenger footwell is wet in the corner nearest the centre of the car and it is also wet in the corner of the front passenger footwell. All around the carpets are bone dry and can see no drips of water or where its coming from - even when sitting in the car with a torch when its raining!!

Heaters also working fine, the water just seems to appear when its raining :cry: and its driving me mad. Will hav to have a proper check this weekend.

My car is also parked "across" a slope on my drive (drivers side is lower than the passengers, if you get what I mean) Could this have something to do with the problems some of us are experiencing :?

Sympathize totally and my has done the same :(. Exactly as described by VR6Paul in the initial post on this topic!

I had a brief check last night and it seems like a clear liquid just in the passenger side front footwell and it doesn't smell or feel any different to plain old H20. Saying that I didn't think of checking the back last night but will do when I get home tonight. The heater still blows out hot air but I haven't driven it for long enough to know if it gets up to full temperature or just warm!

I have had a search on here for extra info about the sunroof drains but as yet not found any instructions on how to uncover and check them. What does anyone think about putting some blue food colouring in water and then feeding it down the drains (I have black carpets btw). Anyone think that this might do any good at trying to find the source?

Also ran my finger down the seal on the outside of the A pillar when the door is open and this felt a little moist but not wet.

I am hoping that as a load of us is having this prob then its just because of the weekends rain!

Also my cars parked on a slope that dips forward with the front being lower than the back!

ggggrrrrr wet patch it back. I have all the carpet rolled up in the front at the mo trying to get dry from last time. I thought i had fixed it. The air blower cover is fitted correctly with no leave underneath it. when it was dry yesterday i tipped bucket loads of water over the screen and bonet area with my dad inside the car and nothing came through.... today, a little bit of rain and its wet inside again... the back is not wet infact tonight i saw watter drip from under the dash...

where is it getting in?

is it a bad thing if i run sealant along the seam on the scuttle panel?????

jedi-knight83 - I would try hosing the sunroof & both doors. See if any of them are leaking.

Could be a broken/blocked sunroof drain pipe or doorseal.

Nice to know it isn't just me then!! :?

Gunna go to a DIY shop and get some heavy duty rubbish bags and stick them in in place of the original membrane as it's quite old and is cracking. I can also then build covers for the wires to there's NO way water's getting in through there.

Then it's onto either the sunroof or the windscreen seal to explain the water dripping down the side of the windscreen...

(looking on the bright side, i provided entertainment in the work car park as I stripped each door down out there...)

I can't understand why there's so many leaking at the moment, mine is bone dry inside.

My money is on poorly fitted replacement windscreens or missing/ripped door membranes, as these are the two areas most commonly disturbed during the car's life.

Have a close look at the headlining for water marks and the door cards (leather more difficult to see obviously)

I spent months tracking down a leak in a MK2 Golf.....same place, in the passenger footwell. It literally turned out to be a membrane that wasn't properly glued down - all the way round, especially at the bottom.

First thing to do is take the door cards off and spray the door with a hose to see if any comes in the car.

Kev

Have you guys tried checking the around the pollen filter,as this can apparently cause a leak into the Pasenger footwell? My leak came from a poorly fitted replacement windscreen,as has been mentioned before...

John

Have you guys tried checking the around the pollen filter,as this can apparently cause a leak into the Pasenger footwell? My leak came from a poorly fitted replacement windscreen,as has been mentioned before...

Don't think any C's came with Pollen filters??

My leak was a badly fitted windscreen also.. took my a while, and many many towels in the footwell before I finally found it.

Was bloody chuffed when I did find it though :) My car was starting to smell a bit swampy so it was fixed in the nick of time ;)

What's under the plastic covers at the base of the screen? How does it attach to the metal work? Bonding or lip seal? Or both?

I'm just thinking that the quantities discussed and where it appears to be coming in corroborates to that area.

I've not had a screen done on the C yet, so I've not had the pleasure of lifting the plastic covers and seeing what's under there.

Given the fuse box is in where it is, a leak from the screen needs addressing ASAP, only trouble is, we foot the entire bill if the screen isn't cracked. Get the hammer out :lol:

K

i dont think its the door seals on mine as i have actually seen the water drip from under the dash (i have been driving around with the passenger side all in bits the last few days.

Thing is when i poored loads of water over the passenger side of the screen and the sunroof and the bonnet area nothing came in..... then it rains and it gets wet?????

i dont get it

i suppose the solution for a badly fitted windscreen is a new windscreen then?

Yep, but break it first so you only have to pay the £50 excess, otherwise Autoglass or whoever will charge you the full whack, which is gonna smart a bit, gotta be around £200?

Personally I'd remove the plastic trims yourself instead of the fitter yanking them off gung-ho fashion and busting the clips. And then reiterate that a high standard of fitting is critical, otherwise it'll leak.

K

i suppose the solution for a badly fitted windscreen is a new windscreen then?

Yep, but break it first so you only have to pay the £50 excess, otherwise Autoglass or whoever will charge you the full whack, which is gonna smart a bit, gotta be around £200?

Personally I'd remove the plastic trims yourself instead of the fitter yanking them off gung-ho fashion and busting the clips. And then reiterate that a high standard of fitting is critical, otherwise it'll leak.

K

Try £470 Kev... thats what is on invoice for my old Corrado.... *:)

Scott

Oh and your matrix can still be faulty if you still have heating *:)

My heating system is fine but the matrix is seeping coolant....... its all coming out tomm :lol:

Try £470 Kev... thats what is on invoice for my old Corrado.... *:)

Scott

That's just plain silly! It's not even decent quality glass either, mine's covered in scratches and swirl marks......but, AFAIK, it is still the original one.

K

No it won't affect your premium or NCB. You just pay a screen excess, which is usually £50. Not a bad thing if the Corrado screen is just shy of £500!

Kev

Hi! First post on your great website. Had my storm for nearly 4 years and I always wondered why it steams up. Really annoying! Driver's seat belt always a bit damp too. I think it's the membrane on drivers side. Also the door seal is damaged (always kicking it when I get in & out) so guess that's not helping. Anyone know where I can get replacements cheaper than VW?

Cheers!