Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

Wet Carpet!

Hi! First post on your great website. Had my storm for nearly 4 years and I always wondered why it steams up. Really annoying! Driver's seat belt always a bit damp too. I think it's the membrane on drivers side. Also the door seal is damaged (always kicking it when I get in & out) so guess that's not helping. Anyone know where I can get replacements cheaper than VW?

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum.. 8)

If there's no visible damage to the seal, you may find that the door hinges will just need adjusting - very common problem.

I definitely need a new seal as the current one is torn where it keeps getting kicked. I'll have a look at the door as well. Presumably any misalignment will be fairly easy to spot and adjust??

Thanks for the helping out.

Fairly easy to spot from the outside - just check for correct alignment with the roof & rear quarter.

My G60 had done 79k when I bought it earlier this year and both doors needed adjusting. My friend at the bodyshop said that this was quite common on Corrados.

To be fair, it's a BIG door on a 'rado... After 8+ years of use, it's not suprising that the hinges have sagged slightly... :? 8)

Check the gap all the way around the door... It should be even ALL the way around, if it's narrower by the bottom outer corner and wider on the corner above the mirror, then it's sagging... 8)

Try pulling the door in a little by adjusting the striker pin on the B frame with a 15mm ring spanner. Don't overdo it otherwise the door will be hard to shut afterwards.

Kev

Try £470 Kev... thats what is on invoice for my old Corrado.... *:)

Scott

That's just plain silly! It's not even decent quality glass either, mine's covered in scratches and swirl marks......but, AFAIK, it is still the original one.

K

Tell me about it - had the screen replaced 3 times on old Corrado 16V due to stones hitting screen in winter - one went in 3 weeks !!!!

I have the original on the VR6 and like yours is covered in scratches and swirl marks.

The heater matrix is now done :D - Its one job I will NEVER be doing again - 8hrs in total!

The heater matrix is now done :D - Its one job I will NEVER be doing again - 8hrs in total!

Hope you sealed it up properly...... :wink:

I also have the optional swimming pool in the front passenger well. I haven't had a chance to start to look at it but it was after a trip in torrential rain and I do know I have an inner wheel arch trim missing on the nearside front so that can't help.

With nearly 9 months of dry weather and then the downpours we've had I wouldn't be at all surprised if some seals have dried up and perished. I'll also be providing some lunchtime carpark entertainment as I look for the cause on mine. I hope it is just a few leaves blocking up some drains.

Can anyone give a price on an inner wheel arch trim for a VR6? [holds breath]

Glad to hear the seat and carpets should come out OK. I'll then practice some fatsex - sprinkle it with flour, look for the wet patch and plug it with something :lol: !

OK i have found a problme like the ones you all describe.

I took the raddo to a carwash, i know i know i should hand wash it but i got a free voucher and it was dirty :oops:

Anyways i ahve noticed that ALL 4 foot wells are wet, front and back, and it looks like they have got wet from the middle, liek somone trickled water from the centre, the ouside edges or the carpets are all bone dry. Now i think the car wash had a system that cleans the bottom of the car, could this leak into the car.

Any ideas, heater blows hot air fine all the time, no coolent smell or anything, just plain old water,

What could be wrong, and whats the best way to dry you raddo out.

BEavisJem

I've got wet carpet as well - in the passenger side. Like BeavisJem says it looked like the water was coming up from underneath esp in the back. Then I spent a few unhappy hours taking the carpet out to dry it and then it's obvious that the water is running along the floorpan under the carpet so it looks like it could be coming up from underneath but it's actually coming from the front of the passenger side footwell...still can't tell why though :mad: .

I'd advise anybody with wet carpet to get it out asap cos on mine there was a hell of a lot more water than I thought - the soundproofing stuff just soaks it up and even though there was no smell in the car, when I took up the carpet it was minging underneath :shock: .

I've had the same problem as most people describe(Passenger footwell wet).

Today I got round to stripping the car and finding the source of the leak.

The air intake to the blower system is located in the front scuttle(in front of the windscreen). This is located on three metal pegs with one clip on the ourtside edge.

On my car(94 VR6) the seal was knackered and doing nothing. Water would run into the fan and out of the various plastic housings.

Homemade thicker better seal on the air intake and hey presto, no leaks! :D Water directed straight to drain hole.

The soundproofing looks as if its going to take ages to dry, absorbs a hell of a lot of water as mentioned above.

Dave

Finally got round to locating the problem Saturday and found it to be the same as black66's. It seems to be the seal around the air intake to the blower system. Took it off and the plastic was all wet but had gone stiff and shriveled up. Also noticed that underneeth this between the metal of the scuttle tray and the plastic leading down to the fan inside there was some soaking wet & perished foam kind of seal that I was able to get out with a pair of long nosed pliers.

Dried it all out with a hair dryer and cleaned up all inside the scuttle tray, then got some bathroom silicone sealent and put loads of it in the gap and around the bottom of the plastic cover.

Put it back on and guess what.... No rain came in after last nights down-pour :D

Just got to get a de-humidifier in there now to dry everything out & keep my fingers crossed that I have actually fixed it.

I think mine is the seal around the air intake as well - but I can't get the plastic cover off :oops: .

There don't seem to be any screws on it but just some plastic lugs, can anyone tell me how to get it off??

I have fallen victim to this too, dammit! It seems that the leak is from the foliage cover too. I also have a lot of mosture near the centre and in the back footwell passenger side but cant believe that it is still from the foiliage. I foolishly took mine off to fit a pollen filter and the seal has never been the same. I have just literally cut a square of Dymanat and created my own seal under the foliage tray. I noticed that my foam was perished and wet but I left it there. I have just put the cover back on and will investigate more tomorrow.

Matt, to take the foliage cover off you must pry off the single lug - the other two just push in but the individual one (nearest the passenger wing) must be prised apart and simultaneously pushed towards the wing. I use a flathead screwdriver - you will notice that the clip is a u-shaped one. stick the screwdriver between the clip and push towards the clip.

Does any of that make sense!?? :?

Sounds like this could be the source of the puddles for me too. Am I right in thinking the foliage tray is the black plastic cover over the fan blower?

I've manged to get the foliage cover off part way (the engine side) but am too having difficulty with getting the cover off the windscreen side. Can't see how the clips come off and they seem intent on staying there :twisted:

Just dont want anything snapping and causing more hassle!!

Thanks for the info Nick, was much easier to get the cover off in the daylight. Cleaned out the gunk and put on some sealant - no more leaks :D

Paul, I just used standard exterior silicon sealant round the cover - not pretty but seems to work...

Without any silicone at hand I managed to prevent the latest soaking by diverting the water from the windscreen to the drain hole in the wing, passing the fan intake by putting in a piece of styrofoam takeaway food carton !!!

Not a permanent solution by any stretch but it has confirmed the fan intake is the culprit and stopped me swimming inside my car on the M25! :lol:

Me too,wet passenger footwells front and rear. :mad:

I pulled back the passenger footwell carpet and sound proofing to verify a source of water entry as the top left corner above the blower. :o

Opened the bonnet and carefully removed the plastic covers over the air duct mesh cover.

Filled a hoover bag with leaf mulch and crap :shock: ,used plenty of wet wipes/tissue to clean any remaining crap,then removed the air duct mesh cover.

The seal was soaking and was obviously not sealing anymore.I could see water runs heading into the blower,I am amazed it still works. :?

I made another seal from some adhesive foam pipe lagging,cut to shape,twice the thickness of the old squashed seal,but thinner at the mounting ends compared to the sides.Reason for this is so you can get clip to work,some experimentation is required,or just buy new seal. 8)

When you have your seal correct,run a bead of exterior sealant all the way round it before you fit it back in place.

CAUTION: :!:

I practiced many times refitting the mesh before applying the sealant so as not to smear or rub it off when fitting for real. :wink:

I only used an average bead width(size of household plug fuse)in a continuos run.I used more at the mounting ends and corners.If you use too much you risk it dripping onto the blower fan blades(not good),so be careful here.

Replace all covers and allow to dry before getting it wet or moving car.

This job could be a 2 hour or a 2 week fix,depends on your own circumstances,need to be patient with this.

Now part 2,about to start this myself after finishing this post.

Remove all carpets passenger seat and soundproofing, clean it and hang to dry somewhere,whilst drying look for other sources of leaks,I'm sure there are some!

Here some pics Ihope they help. :)