Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

Wet Carpet!

Good work CorVR6. A picture paints a 1000 words.....praise the lord for digital cameras, eh?

Am I the only person with a dry Corrado? Either the previous owner replaced the leaf guard seal, or I'm just one lucky SOB.

Dig cams rule,oh and lucky SOB.

Part 2

After fixing a leak I reccomend removing and drying your carpets because they won't dry with just the heater in the winter. :(

After removing the passenger seat(1 bolt),and plastic carpet trim from door,I was able to remove the whole carpet,sound proofing an all.

Had to cut through the rubber seal that joins the floor pan carpet to the rear seat carpet,using a stanley knife.

The carpet was wet,but the sound proofing underlay was rotten and smelt it too. :pukeright:

EDIT

I have salvaged the hard backing off the sound proofing underlay and will use ordinary carpet underlay (2 layers maybe) with the hard backing to pad out the carpet again.

EDIT

I have scrubbed the carpet and its hanging out to dry.

I've dried and cleaned the floor pan,then ran the hose over the whole car starting low moving higher and so far not a drop has seeped in.

:lol: :thumbleft:

By the time I refit my carpets,I will know if the rain has found other untested entry points.

:|

EDIT

It rained most of last night,still totally dry inside :D ,I will fit carpets as soon as they are dry.

Done the blower mod whilst in bits,now all 4 speeds again. :D

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... 1328#61328

EDIT

Here are some more pics.

Am I the only person with a dry Corrado? Either the previous owner replaced the leaf guard seal, or I'm just one lucky SOB.

Nope, even though my car is up on axle stands with the engine about 20 yards away, the interior is bone dry :p 8)

Funnily enough, I cleared all of the scuttle panel area out when I bought the car after having problems with a MKI Golf for the same reasons... :? :roll: :lol:

I had the heater matrix go on my VR6 with the result that the carpets were soaked..... I dried them out as best as possible with kitchen towel then used a shampoo vacuum to wash the carpets - this sucked out all the dirt / water from the carpets - I then left all the windows open in the garage for the carpets to dry out.

Two days later they are bone dry therefore preventing the need to strip them out

8)

Nope, even though my car is up on axle stands with the engine about 20 yards away, the interior is bone dry :p 8)

Funnily enough, I cleared all of the scuttle panel area out when I bought the car after having problems with a MKI Golf for the same reasons... :? :roll: :lol:

Think I'm going to follow CorVR6's directions and do mine too......just in case! It's always the way, as soon as I mention something about my car is OK, there'll be a 3 inch puddle on the floor the next day!

Kev

I had the heater matrix go on my VR6 with the result that the carpets were soaked..... I dried them out as best as possible with kitchen towel then used a shampoo vacuum to wash the carpets - this sucked out all the dirt / water from the carpets - I then left all the windows open in the garage for the carpets to dry out.

Two days later they are bone dry therefore preventing the need to strip them out

8)

When you say they are bone dry,I presume you are saying dry to the touch?

They may feel dry to the touch after a couple of days,mainly because the carpet itself is quite thin and dries quickly,but the soundproofing underlay was about an inch thick when it was laid and this sits underneath some thick leathery piece of material.I had to scrape the wet underlay off the hard piece as it just falls apart when wet/rotten.

I would bet your actual floor pan is still wet. :wink:

See pics, previous page

Ergh.. this brings back memories.

When my windscreen leaked over the period of a few months, I ended up having to pull all the carpet up and stick towels down to dry up the mess it left, and dry my carpets out in the sun for a few days.

And the smell that it left in the carpets when I first lifted em up.. like a stinky old swamp.

Don't think I ever totally dried the car out, but was a helluva lot better :)

Boys and girls,

I am one these lucky people to have a swimming pool in my car.

I have a question about the soundproofing.

Corvr6 mentioned something about using the original carpet underlay. Anyone have any ideas how well something like

'Dynamat' or 'Brown Bread' would do the same business? I would imagine the stealers would charge a

fortune for new soundproofing. Not really keen on putting the same old (albeit less smelly) soundproofing back.

Does the soundproofing have to perform upto some standards e.g. Dynamat couldn't handle?

Boys and girls,

Corvr6 mentioned something about using the original carpet underlay. Anyone have any ideas how well something like

'Dynamat' or 'Brown Bread' would do the same business? I would imagine the stealers would charge a

fortune for new soundproofing. Not really keen on putting the same old (albeit less smelly) soundproofing back.

Does the soundproofing have to perform upto some standards e.g. Dynamat couldn't handle?

Dynamat and Brownbread are relatively thin sound proofing substances, both better suited to door skin/quarterpanel skin/boot floor sound deadening... :?

The stuff you need to get is a decent car carpet underlay. This both acts as a sound deadening layer, and boosts the "squishiness" of the carpet to give it a more luxurious feeling like the orginal stuff does... There are plenty of stands at shows that sell this stuff if you ask, or your local re-trimmers should stock it for not a lot of money... I tended to get mine from a stand called "spirit of the 50's" at shows where Aircooled stuff go as well. It was about £20 for a roll that will happily overdo your Corrado! (used to use it in my MKI and it is excellent.... :D )

By all means, use Dynamat or Brownbread under your fibre insulation for ultimate sound isolation, but you'll miss the feel of the fibre stuff if you've not got it... :?

Oh, and most of the newer fibre stuff doesn't get water logged or rot, so once you've done it, if you get another leak, you just need to dry it... 8) (trust me on this one, it works! :roll: :lol: )

Henny,

Cheers for that :)

Rica

No problems.... After smelling the underlay on my MKI (and recently my mates... :? ) I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy! :shock: :pukeright: :lol:

If that helps anyone not have to suffer that, then I'm a happy man! 8)

Boys and girls,

I have edited my earlier post to make it a little clearer,because I wouldn't want anyone to think I reused my old rotting and heaving underlay :pukeleft: :oops: :pukeright: ,

I am going to use good quality household carpet underlay maybe 2 layers thick.

Pics later today hopefully. :)

**Mod Edit: Double post removed for you. VR6

Thanks for removing dead post, VR6.

Well I have completed the job,and fitted carpet back in car.

As promised I have some more pics and some tips.

TIPS

1)Allow at least 12 working hours(not including carpet drying time) to complete this job,starting from "oh no,there are Koi carp in the rear footwell to Karmann would be proud of me". :)

2)Check the weather forecast for next few days,or use a sheltered place.

3)Use some good quality knee pads,about a fiver,will save your knees big time. :wink:

4)When cutting the new underlay,it would be easier just to use the old backing as a template,so that you leave at least an inch of space inside the runners for the seat to move easliy.I used 2 layers of underlay which has given the carpet a slightly raised look.

5)Grease the seat runners if nescessary before refitting seat.

6)Special tools required,common sense,patience,time,understanding partner,warm clothes,knee pads,determination. :)

Corvr6,

So how's your soundproofing? Do you hear any more roadnoise than you did before?

I was going to do what Henny suggested, and put down Dynamat/Brown Bread and underlay.

I am just being very impatient and want to do this underlay thing now. Only places I seem to

find, all need to send it off to me, and I don't have the time/patience. :shock:

Cheers

Rica

No problem with this on my Corrado... but my mk2 Gti is an absolujte b!tch for passenger footwell 'swimming pools'... think its the door cards and shrucken window seals..

Corvr6,

So how's your soundproofing? Do you hear any more roadnoise than you did before?

I was going to do what Henny suggested, and put down Dynamat/Brown Bread and underlay.

I am just being very impatient and want to do this underlay thing now. Only places I seem to

find, all need to send it off to me, and I don't have the time/patience. :shock:

Cheers

Rica

Unfortunately I am unable to test the sound proofing at the moment because the car is off the road due to a split CV boot. :mad:

If your car "sounded" ok with the rotting compost that was your old underlay(like mine),I'm sure you could put lettuce leaves down and it would be an improvement. :)

You can see from my pics that the original front section can be increasd to cover the sides etc,So If you use a decent capet underlay you will be ok.

You should still be able to reuse the underlay backing,see pic.

TIP:Cut the rear underlay to the same size as the backing,due to the seat rails.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Corvr6,

Thanks for your thread about the blower cover. I've now successfully taken the cover off,

redone the seal with some pipe lagging and just siliconed it down. It is a tad messy at the moment,

since I resorted to putting the silicone around the cover with my finger instead of the gun.

Here's hoping the leaking will stop! Now to wait for better weather so I can rip the carpets out :)

Cheers

Rica

As long as you are confident there are no gaps by using that method to apply the sealant ,then the combination of pipe lagging seal and sealant should keep the rain out.When your ready try a hose pipe over the windscreen test,having pulled back the front carpet enough to see/feel for "fresh" water running down inside.Should be none.

The manual suggests the seal should be water tight,so if it aint,it will happen again!

As sad as it may be,I have just checked through the 21 pages of problems for a more viewed post, and well there ain't one.So it's definate,there are a lot of C's with "wet carpets" out there. :wink:

Well cover me in eggs and flower and bake me for 40 minutes if my carpets aren't now swimming too. I'm going right off this Corrado....seems like it's a case of 'fix one thing and something else falls off'. If it wasn't such a great looking car I'd have burnt it out weeks ago.

Many thanks to all who have posted within this topic....at least I have several avenues to follow. It seems the first should be the seal around that fan intake in the scuttle panel.....

:( I bought my corrado in the summer and it was fine until we started getting the crap weather, then the drivers footwell started filling with water everytime it rained, i pulled the carpet back and took all the plastic parts off in the drivers footwell to have a good look, when i did i poured water all over the car and it started running in like a tap, has anyone got any suggestions as to why this is happening???? i think that the car has been painted so i dont know if the screen has been taken out to do this, i know they are bonded so this would be the cause of it if it wasnt replaced properly, if anyone has any other ideas of what the problem could be please let me know, and if you have any suggestion as to how i could stop it until i get it ready to be painted again and get the windscreen put in properly it would be greatly appreciated

CORRADO 1.8 16V

** Mod Edit - Please don't SHOUT your posts, it makes it difficult to read. - Henny **

Can someone tell me how to exactly get to the seal around the air intake to the blower system?

My front and rear passenger footwells are soaked after the past rain this weekend.

Heya,

Look at Corvr6's post on page 4, about halfway down. He's done a good job on explaining things.

I fixed mine with his instructions. Lots of clear pictures as well.

Cheers,

Rica

well, after 7 months of being up on axle stands and being bone dry, now that the car is 90% completed, I've got a wet passenger rear footwell... :roll: Damn... :evil:

I'm soooo glad that this thread exists... ;) 8)