boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

Is it a chrome one?

No mate - regular red, as it is supposed to be :)

I'm talking about the 16v motif that clips in on the bottom right of the grille - not the VW roundel! :)

Oh no, I run badgeless. Sleepers ftw. I still have that badge by my poncuter here.

Badgeless sleeper, eh? Like the Goof :wink:

I'd like to get an 8V grille badge (if they exist), as it would be strictly honest and true but could make people underestimate :grin: :norty:

Well, the hub nut came today (thanks bro) but it looks like the outer CV has some issues.

I wasn't sure whether the mallet I was using to drive the outer CV back on the shaft after replacing the circlip caught the thread slightly and it seems it did.

The last hubnut stripped it's first two reams of thread trying to go on, and this new nut is refusing to bite at all.

Oh dear, looks like there'll be no shopping and no tea for me tonight :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

:sad: Need a lift to the shops? Give me a call tomorrow...

Second thoughts, will be crazy busy tomorrow, but can give you a lift back from the shops, as that may be more helpful!

Oh dear, looks like there'll be no shopping and no tea for me tonight :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

sleep for dinner ?

always nice. :)

I got a pizza tonight, completely gave up on financial wisdom due to massive hunger! :sad:

Cut my finger up on hub nut swarf too, kinda painful :brickwall:

LOL @ rice! Need to lay off the carbs, my metabolism is slowing down and I need to stay trim!

Things are getting better now. I sold some rear carriers with fixings to mk3yeti which in turn allowed me to buy some male to female 335mm early brake hoses from g60ff, plus I have a little bit left which i'm hoping i'll be able to get a good M20 die with from ebay so I can rethread my outer CV! :grin:

So yeah, I've got a little money, got the PROPER early hoses that I need and things are looking up :wink:

hmm, if photobucket wasn't blocked at work i'd have probably shown more interest in this thread, but it seems like you're making good progress. Did you have any trouble removing the old hub nut? (If you've tried it yet), because I was mean to be changing a hub for my dads mk3 cab, but must have spent 2 hours trying to get the f**king thing off :(. On the lookout for a small scaffold pipe now for

Yeah I got it off using a small 1/2" drive extension to move the drive outwards from the wheel and then put a 2ft breaker bar on it. Snapped the small bar though whilst using only my arms :shock: hence the gun comments :lol:

Did get it undone eventually, but soaked it overnight in plusgas (available from all good hardware shops) to help loosen it. They're only supposed to be done up to 192lb ft, which equates to a ~100lb weight (45kg) on the end of the 2ft breaker bar, but as usual bouncing my 80kg self up and down on the bar helped very little.

So I switched to guns and that when it loosened off :lol:

I had a breaker bar once...can't seem to find it anywhere though :( Probably lost in transit whilst moving home. I'll try that plusgas shizz you were on about, and maybe a few sessions down the gym! :gag:

I am trying to get Toad's crown of best barn/workshop, so here goes :lol:

First, a pretty pic cos it's nice and sunny 8)

image028fv9.jpg

My little table for sorting stuff out on. Currently has the refurbed Mk2 subframe :cuckoo:, dismantled rear calipers and a mk2 rad support panel on it :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

image029mo7.jpg

Suspension Department (The struts have been relegated to the Graveyard :shock: ) AFAIK, These are all 92 springs so late spec? Probably won't go onto my car - coffee table? :D

image030fi3.jpg

Cross members need the bushes pressed into them, then ready to go on. Cavities have been waxoyled and brackets painted.

image031ya6.jpg

This needs no introduction :grin:

image032ra4.jpg

The Parts Box - pistons from other engine plus body fixings and fittings from the Moonlight (RIP)

image033hg8.jpg

The loom from the Moonlight - literally just keeping it so I can strip the connectors from it and then create a brand-new loom from scratch...sometime! Spare PAS Rack and lines underneath (this is #3, not sure what to do with it...work my magic then keep as a spare?)

image034gx9.jpg

Rear beam off Moonlight and newer shot-blasted beam on the top (needs some POR paint I reckon, then rebuilding once the front is done :salute: )

image035ey4.jpg

TOP SECRET PORTING WORK!!!11 :shock: Just kidding :lol: Need a Valve Spring Compressor before I can crack on with this. Would be fun to rig up a flow-bench too, but prob won't happen.

image036zn4.jpg

Spare early doors in black. Long-term plan could be respray with Audi handles? :|

image037gg7.jpg

Pump from the Moonlight, just as a backup cos you never know... :ignore: This is on the Parts Shelf.

image038kl3.jpg

Rear bumper off the moonlight (the front-to-rear hard brake lines are lurking behind this too). Again, just spares. Probably should sell it and get on with something! :cuckoo:

image039bu1.jpg

The Shelf of Fun - G60 brakes and carriers, old alternator, steering column from the Moonlight (need the U/J off this for my new Rack :wink: )

image040qp9.jpg

THE GRAVEYARD! Many many many suspension parts, old mounts, brake discs etc etc etc. Really should do a tip run soon :eek:

image041aq3.jpg

Spare tailgate glass cos it was free, and I'm a bit pikey like that :dorky: :lol: But with 2 Corrados in the family who knows when it might come in useful?

image042gc6.jpg

Thanks for watching :salute:

So, my M20 die for the outer CV shaft thread came today along with my male-to-female brake hoses for the G60 calipers. Thanks go to G60ff for very good price and quick delivery.

image026wl5.jpg

Dormer M18, M20 and M22 dies. £12 delivered online which seemed reasonable. Only problem I have now is that the M20 has a 38mm outer diameter and my sockets go up to 32!

image028gf0.jpg

Early brake hoses with integrated male caliper end :salute:

Looking at the pic of the hoses my brother works for Delphi. Oh and the markings on the die's, two HSS and one CS - carbon steel??

Ah cool, free hoses! :clap: :grin: :salute:

Aaah yes, I hadn't noticed that. I think you're right about the carbon steel, I think the HSS is High Speed Steel?

I thought the stub axle end was an M20 metric fine, that looks like a standard m20 die.

would it not be just as cheap and easy to get a new outer cv joint and stub?

Push your finger hard onto the inside of the tap until you get ridges, then see if those ridges line up with the hub nut threads...

Or tap a carrot and see if the nut fits without additional mashage. :salute:

(Fully expecting some kind of saucy interlude here... :wave: )