boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

nice to see you got it all fixed finally mate, what you taking apart next then :p or is that it until it breaks again!?

Next will be refurb hubs and new bearings, then put the 280s on and bleed the system and also swap the shock absorbers. Top mounts are better off as coffee coasters at the mo! :shrug:

I need to get a job before all that happens though.

Went out to the workshop :lol: today and a spider has decorated my new subframe with a huge web! Cheeky little thing :bad-words:

Uh yeah... that's pretty much the update for today. Really must put that on sometime.

...Cheeky little thing :bad-words:

don't be fooled ... it will get large,have babies and then they will start disassembing your car.

:pale:

Glad you got it fixxored :wink:

Are you going to sort out the spare engine before you do the subframe etc?

(PS. cool avatar 8) )

(PS. cool avatar 8) )

Thanks bro :grin: I'm not sure what you mean by sort? I certainly don't have any money to do anything major to it, but if you'd like it out of your guest room and in my workshop that can be arranged! :cuckoo: :lol:

yeah the avtar completes the boost-ape persona.

now you just need some boost in your life.

:wink:

Ain't that the truth :roll:

Still, I went out for a drive tonight cos outside smelt nice in the rain ( :camp: :camp: :camp: ). Did a couple of laps of the ring and pootled around at an avg. of 46mph which was quite nice.

Flat cap, leather elbow patches and John Denver CD on order :cuckoo:

(PS. cool avatar 8) )

Thanks bro :grin: I'm not sure what you mean by sort? I certainly don't have any money to do anything major to it, but if you'd like it out of your guest room and in my workshop that can be arranged! :cuckoo: :lol:

Worry not, that wasn't a hint of any kind! Just wondering if you are going to put the spare engine back together and into the car at the same time as fitting the new front end, to save having to disassemble the bay again later? :shrug:

The stripped KR can stay in our 'guest room' (love that phrase) as long as necessary. :D :salute:

No that engine isn't going in anytime soon. The engine in the car does 34mpg on high-speed cruises, barely uses water or oil and so it will be staying in for a while :salute: hence why the stripped engine is stripped :grin:

I don't mind putting it in my workshop though, I hope to sell tons of bits I don't need asap for many reasons... space being one!

Worry not, that wasn't a hint of any kind! Just wondering if you are going to put the spare engine back together and into the car at the same time as fitting the new front end, to save having to disassemble the bay again later? :shrug:

Ah yeah, see your point. That will mainly be the rad support panel and the cross-member though. If I replace those before the engine and the bolts are single-use, I may just have to buy new bolts when I put the new engine in. But that will be years from now.

Did an oil change today, although the oil didn't look too bad, I just hadn't changed it since I got the car in February.

I need to do a coolant change too as my coolant is looking quite muddy. Also, this is what the top hose looks like:

image091ll7.jpg

As you can see from the hose clips, it is bulging a lot! :shock:

image093bt9.jpg

I'll be replacing it with one of the spare engine when I do the coolant change.

So I did the coolant change today, although started the prep yesterday. Here are a few thousands words:

image015jr8.jpg

As you can see, the MIN and MAX lines pretty much blur into nothingness... :shrug:

image016pi6.jpg

This is not a fresh flow... serious sediment in here :pukeright:

image017ka3.jpg

Luckily, I had a kitchen sink located in the NS wheelarch. Should be pink? :sad:

image018nl6.jpg

The sediment... like a miniature quarry :brickwall:

image020cq0.jpg

Tank after some serious Marine Clean attacks, not really abrasive enough but the MIN and MAX can be seen now (No I don't have the £££ for a new tank :| )

image033zx1.jpg

Fatty Boom Batty pipe, and the slimline replacement from spare engine... kan haz Mk2 Glof part numbr?

image035vu2.jpg

Mmm, clean and fresh.

image036ds1.jpg

Tank after a run up cycle, cool down and a level check. No leaks at all :salute:

Now that the Coolant and the Oil have both been changed, I can't get the oil temp to go past 100, gets to 98 and then starts going back down. Thermal Efficiency winnage! :clap:

How the heck were you draining the coolant out of your car?! From the header tank?! Last time I did it was at the waterpump (disconnecting the big pipe from the waterpump -> radiator) and despite the spring clip being a pain, it was the best in terms of not getting coolant absolutely everywhere compared to previous times when i've done it from the radiator end of that same pipe.

And god damn you needed a coolant change - that sludge / coolant is absolutely shocking. Did you flush the system a bit to get more of that sediment out as you might find there was even more to come!

Yeah that ain't good at all - VW do a flush with a corrosion killing element, might be worth a go with that, maybe change the metal water pipes too...

I've seen worse but not on a VW

That top hose, again - never seen anything like it but it looks original... I think the stat must have been stuck shut to cause that or you have too much pressure or a blockage

Does it heat up ok now mate? stat open, rad get hot and fan cut in and out holding temp around 90c?

How the heck were you draining the coolant out of your car?! From the header tank?!

Did you not see the kitchen sink? :lol: I drained it from everywhere. The tank was coming off anyways , as was that top hose, and I did the lower rad hose as you say.

And god damn you needed a coolant change - that sludge / coolant is absolutely shocking. Did you flush the system a bit to get more of that sediment out as you might find there was even more to come!

Didn't flush the system this time, running quite lean on the funds being unemployed and all. In fact the oil and G12 was my only justifiable expense last week! :shrug: You're right, there will be a ton more inside the hoses and the water jacket around the bores, but at the moment this is the best it can do. At least it is miles better than before, and strangely enough never overheated....which is nice.

Yeah that ain't good at all - VW do a flush with a corrosion killing element, might be worth a go with that, maybe change the metal water pipes too...

I've seen worse but not on a VW

yeah, metal pipe is on the list for sure :salute: hoses are kind of an as and when which is sooo not how I like to do things, but beggars can't be choosers (literally).

That top hose, again - never seen anything like it but it looks original... I think the stat must have been stuck shut to cause that or you have too much pressure or a blockage

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if it's suffered hot oil damage: Engine before this blew its HG and I have no evidence that the hoses got changed when that happened, so they could all be weakened. Might explain why that top one bulged so much.

Does it heat up ok now mate? stat open, rad get hot and fan cut in and out holding temp around 90c?

Seems to yeah... I mean, I am checking the temperature off the oil temp on the MFA cos my coolant guage still doesn't work (a combination of possible dead sensors, a hopeless wiring loom and me still not being able to find definitive guides to it all...) but the oil got to about 92, the fan came on and then switched off again, and then did so again 1 or 2 more times before I decided I was happy with it and turned the engine off to let it cool (so I could check the cold level and top up if needed). Only took about 5 litres in the end, thought it would have taken more, and is approximately 40:60 Coolant to Water.

Believe me, I can appreciate the lack of funds thing - I have a job but struggle to pay for all the expenditure the frigging car demands. But with regards flushing the system, it doesn't have to be an additional expense - i'm just talking shoving a hose pipe in the expansion tank and running cold water through it for a few minutes to get as much sh!t out of the waterways as possible. Bit late now that the G12+ is in there now though I guess!

As you say though - with that crap out, it's a thousand times better than it was!

Yeah, I hear you. Not really any flushing opportunities at my house (outside tap but no hose) so it would have been many jugs! :|

G12 is only £10 for 3 litres it seems so if I think about doing a flush when I'm better off then it's not a big deal.

I think when people realise the back history the car has had, and the fact that it is a £400 corrado, they will begin to be as unsurprised as I am when I find these sort of things!

If I had the garage space, it would already be a shell but I don't so just gotta make do :shrug:

It's all academic at the moment anyways, as it looks like it will be SORN at the end of the month. Tax money will definitely break the camel's back so to speak.

Good work mate.... That coolant has't even been in the car that long has it? how many miles since the engine went in?

Thanks matey,

yeah engine went in Christmas / New Year by Russ (PO), and had circa 110k when it went in. In the 5 months I've had it, I've prob done another 3000 ish. So that coolant has done 7 months and 4000 miles tops I'd think... scary huh!

I got stuck on the M25 coming back from the airport one time for over an hour and car never overheated. Oil temp peaked at 104C and it was a hot day too. It was then that I had a sense of new found confidence in it! :luvlove:

So, as it was a nice day I decided to empty out the "workshop" and tidy it up. Started by moving everything out onto the grass...

image039hy9.jpg

Taken from upstairs...quite a lot of stuff!

image056hl6.jpg

Body spares: black early doors (with looms and mechs), 92 Moonlight blue rear bumper, front wiper motor, under-carpet sound panels, spare slidey heater control panel (now obsolete!) and tailgate glass lurking out of shot.

image041vq4.jpg

Engine spares: KR cylinder head (working on), CSV, K-jet injectors, 16v rocker covers and 42mm inlet (one cover and manifold need selling), 16v distributor, Throttle body and Alternator.

image042tw6.jpg

Fuel delivery spares: 9A external fuel pump, filter and associated hard lines.

image043kr0.jpg

Coolant spares: 16v water pump, header tank, various hoses, radiator cowling and fan plus top plasticy plinth bit.

image044kx6.jpg

Electrical spares: :ignore:

image045ap5.jpg

Suspension spares: two sets of front springs, one set of backs, Rear struts from ProdigalSon's pre-Weitec, bump stops and dust covers, rear top mounts, bushes and covers.

image046aw2.jpg

Steering spares: one PAS rack (being stripped), one late spec reservoir and good PAS lines inc. cooler bar, complete steering column(inc. U/J), spare U/J and pedal cluster.

image047dt0.jpg

Brakes spares: 256mm calipers and carriers, 280mm calipers and carriers, rear calipers, very long front-to-back brake hard lines (mostly out of shot) (Big box of ABS items in Prodigal's attic :salute: )

image048ip2.jpg

Chassis spares overview! :clap: (and a rogue Mk2 8v OS driveshaft :grin: )

image049rr3.jpg

Chassis spares: dead corrado subframe, two front cross-members (with painted brackets and new bushes), spare set of 4 CM bushes.

image050pq6.jpg

Chassis spares: POR Mk2 Subframe, POR Mk2 Rad Support panel, shotblasted and painted rear beam, stripped rear beam, stub axles.

image051ni1.jpg

Chassis spares: New front end for the Burgundy, one stripped OS 16v hub, two unstripped 16v hubs (OS and NS).

image052lc4.jpg

Garden overview

image053gs8.jpg

Random box #1: K-Jet injector lines, some coolant and vacuum hoses, Old H/G aka Audi logo :lol:

image054sb9.jpg

Random box #2: interior fixings and fittings, seatbelts, belt rails etc, Pistons out of stripped KR, other small stripped KR parts.

I really need to get some of this sold :shock: or at least given away. Maybe I should start a Tat stand at next year's BVF? :nuts: