Sign in to follow this  
neil20vtc

windscreen just been cracked, best replacement?

Paid £277 fitted from a local company, Pilkington screen (green top strip), no issues whatsoever!

Just had mine done and it turns out the old screen had been bodged in with a double wide rubber so he had a right mare cleaning it up to get the new one in. The job looks OK but the rubber at the top is a bit wobbly and I have loads of left over glue/rubber where the older and wider rubber was. Best get the polish out!

nick

AutoGlass are doing mine on thursday cost me £541 :shock: just wondering if anybody else had to pay that much mind you it isnt through the insurance and it is a genuine replacement from V.w

That's not right! - Mine was done by Autoglass only a coupe of months ago on insurance, the total was £350 ish and I had to pay the £50 excess.

It would have been much less but I got them to get a genuine screen from TPS (£180) along with new outer seal (£17) and new scuttle trays and clips etc (another £50 ish) - the rest was labour.

If you get a non genuine Sekurit screen you can also get a top tint ad these are about £120 I think and this was what I was getting originalt but it arrived in 2 peices apparently so they went to TPS as they could supply the screen faster than there own people!

and new scuttle trays and clips etc (another £50 ish) -

VW have been d1cking about with those panels. One of the 3 panels in my set is a lovely gloss black and the other 2 are the original matt finish. Looks like I'm going to have to paint the other 2 to match :roll:

would be nice if we could just buy a full scuttle panel that fits perfectly

Amen to that! :notworthy:

Looks like my 92 G60 had a Pilkington "New Zealand" screen as OE, never had a problem with it. I have had the car since 93 so unless the screen was changed in its 1st year which I think is very unlikely it must be original.

Mick

Nice one Vick!

Im not 100% about that on my blue car mind, will have to do a bit of photo shopping I think :grin:

Nice one Vick!

Im not 100% about that on my blue car mind, will have to do a bit of photo shopping I think :grin:

No problem Matt. I think it updates the car alot with the top tint. Makes the windows look really 'green' too.

Vick :)

I've just had mine done, although as I am only TPFT (I've only been driving about 8 months!) I had to pay full whack for it.

Had a phone around, Auto Glass wanted £590 while Auto Windescreens (ex RAC) only wanted £330. Was a tad worried about what I'd get as I'd heard they make there own screens but was happy to find when I picked it up that they'd fitted a Sekurit screen. The previous sreen was Pilkington and because I haven't got a receipt for a new one, despite having a folder of the most unusual items, I would be tempted to say it was installed with it originally.