Sign in to follow this  
darrensphatvr6

chain/tentioners

Hello, I think my chain/tentioners need replacing because its making such a racket, I am just wondering if the tentioner bolt can cause this to sound this way aswell :?:

Cheers Darren :(

The chains aint that hard a job to do, just time consuming, the hardest part is getting the gearbox off and on but once its off the chains are easy, just fiddly with all the timing marks. You can get new chain kits from the states very cheap as well so can save a LOT of money by doing it yourself than getting a garage to do it.

The chains aint that hard a job to do, just time consuming, the hardest part is getting the gearbox off and on but once its off the chains are easy, just fiddly with all the timing marks. You can get new chain kits from the states very cheap as well so can save a LOT of money by doing it yourself than getting a garage to do it.

You make it sound so easy Rob, wish I had the facilities/confidence to attemp a job of that scale...

Out of interest, anyone know the official service interval for the chains/tensioners?

Been told 120-130k depending on service history.

This sound about right?

If you've got a good tool collection and two big trolley jacks, it is easy ;-)

There is no service interval.

The earliest a top tensioner has gone is 70K, and some go on to 150K+. There's no pattern. All VR6s should have it done as a matter of course and replace the crappy original top tensioner with the updated plastic one.

You make it sound so easy Rob, wish I had the facilities/confidence to attemp a job of that scale...

Out of interest, anyone know the official service interval for the chains/tensioners?

Been told 120-130k depending on service history.

This sound about right?

Well a lot of people say around 100k which is probably a good idea. Mine were on 142k before i done them, they didnt make a noise and my car always ran smooth and got good figures on the rolling road, but when we took them apart my upper tensioner was totally fcuked and my guides were cracked so it was on borrowed time!

Its seriously not that hard a job to do, as long as you have the tools (think the only 'special' tool needed is something to lock the cams in position for the timing and a clutch alignment tool although me and kev done it by eye :lol:) then its just basically undoing bolts and removing things, remove gearbox (bitch!) and so on. Its just very time consuming, i took my gearbox off myself one weekend which took ages and then me and kev done the chains another day which took us all day but we ran into few niggly problems like lost bolts etc and the gearbox was the hardest part, then its time consuming putting everything back together.

Rob, were the bits that you got via Kev from Schimmel all OE parts? I need to get on with ordering some too :)

(think the only 'special' tool needed is something to lock the cams in position for the timing and a clutch alignment tool although me and kev done it by eye :lol:)

Don't forget the "special tool" for locking the flywheel....aka a chisel jammed into the teeth through the front engine mount bracket, PMSL! :lol: It worked a treat though 8)

Yep, the clutch and cam alignment can be done "by eye" as it were; as Rob said.

The chains schimmel supplied for us were in Febi/Bilstein boxes. It's the same stuff Stealth use. The chains and tensioner bolts are actually made by sachs, so god knows why they're in febi boxes!

Rob, were the bits that you got via Kev from Schimmel all OE parts? I need to get on with ordering some too :)

Yes i believe so mate, best off asking kev if you havent already as he got them for me.

Yes i believe so mate, best off asking kev if you havent already as he got them for me.

cheers! ^^^^ as if by magic!!

I think GSF also supply Febi chains etc. I've got mine to do, just need to get the lower chain first, and yes its VERY timeconsuming. At least when you do it yourself, you can clean things up nicely and replace anything else that may be suspect. PLus its a good way to learn, if a little slow.

All this talk about chains is making me paranoid mines on 120k And i dont think they will have been done the service history isn't full and theres no recipts for chains been done!!! Just replaced loads of bits planning on having this done in maybe 6 months or so when i get the funds to do clutch etc at the same time Hope it lasts :lol: Is there usualy any signes you should look for or do i just wait for a big bang :shock:

All this talk about chains is making me paranoid mines on 120k And i dont think they will have been done the service history isn't full and theres no recipts for chains been done!!! Just replaced loads of bits planning on having this done in maybe 6 months or so when i get the funds to do clutch etc at the same time Hope it lasts :lol: Is there usualy any signes you should look for or do i just wait for a big bang :shock:

Well some peopl reckon that the chains will start to get noisy before anything goes, i was naive and believed that and mine then became a class example of how untrue that statement is. Me and Kev took mine apart and my upper tensioner was really bad and my guides were cracked etc so basically rhey could have gone at any time, and i had just put a supercharger on it :shock:

Well this is how mine sounds :( http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh25 ... deo003.flv

I'm getting mine done next friday, the bloke says it will only take a couple of days to do it, very good price aswell between £550-£600 :wink:

Well this is how mine sounds :( http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh25 ... deo003.flv

I'm getting mine done next friday, the bloke says it will only take a couple of days to do it, very good price aswell between £550-£600 :wink:

thankfully mine doesnt sound like that cant say the same about my washing machine tho that must be a Hotpoint VR6 :lol:

I just did mine for first time at 185k so i reckon you're ok for a while.

I just did mine for first time at 185k so i reckon you're ok for a while.

You were one of the lucky ones then as some chains have gone at as little as 70k miles!