Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Emissions driven Road tax

From what i gathered it would only affect new cars from 2009 onwards?

Though im going to look on the print out i got at my last MOT, to see the CO2 emissions read on it, that was with my old engine too not the new one, so id imagine it'll be a bit lower with the new one.

It's based on the cars official Co2 rating though, not what you get when tested in the local garage!

afaik, the new car tax scheme will apply to all cars, but the new "showroom" tax only applies to new cars bought after 2009.

Cas on the old cc based scheme have an increase of £5 pa

there are only going to be 2 bands for pre 2001 cars - above or below 1600cc (or 159x). I looked yesterday and it means that for all Cs tax will be £185 next year, rising to £200 afterwards i think...

there are only going to be 2 bands for pre 2001 cars - above or below 1600cc (or 159x). I looked yesterday and it means that for all Cs tax will be £185 next year, rising to £200 afterwards i think...

thats the current laws, i too am not sure if anything changes for us

budget report

Page 123 in Annex A...

so yeah, it will be a lot cheaper to own a pre 2001 high performance car as the tax will be about half of its modern equivalent and about the same as a new small family saloon :D

Road tax is an irrelevance now. They should abolish it. It's original purpose was to force people to have MOT and insurance. Now you are obliged to have both of those electronically there's no point in going through the annual rigmarole any longer.

Road tax is an irrelevance now. They should abolish it. It's original purpose was to force people to have MOT and insurance. Now you are obliged to have both of those electronically there's no point in going through the annual rigmarole any longer.

True, but can you really see this government abolishing a multi-billion tax? I can't.

For those who remember the "Historical vehicle" tax that was supposed to negate RFL on all cars over 25 years old... this stopped and only became applicable to cars built pre-sept 1972 as soon as "New Labour" arrived, in Brown's First Budget! :censored:

If this wasn't the case I feel there'd be a hell of a lot more Mk1 Golfs out there still too!

I am just grateful you can get your tax online now, I hated standing in the post office queue only to be told be some left wing counter monkey that I didn't have the correct documents. :hitler:

That and the post office always seems to smell funny.;)

True, but can you really see this government abolishing a multi-billion tax? I can't.

... I feel there'd be a hell of a lot more Mk1 Golfs out there still too!

I don't think £180/yr prevents people keeping old cars on the road. I think unavailability of spare parts and new cars being so cheap prevents people keeping old cars on the road...

I can't see the government abolishing it, no, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't ... ;)

I don't think £180/yr prevents people keeping old cars on the road. I think unavailability of spare parts and new cars being so cheap prevents people keeping old cars on the road...

True, but the number of "post" 1972 Bugs dropped dramatically after this, after all who wants to add an annual £180 bill onto a car they use a few times a year?

I think the pre 2001 ruling is good news for us. Still an increase but less than a lot of smaller engined cars. Bizarre really but I'm not going to complain :D Could we see the price of pre 2001 cars begin to rise soon (or at least not fall so fast)- I wonder :?

My Leon produces 206g/km officially. That means the road tax has increased from £200 to £210 for 12 months. That's pretty-much what the annual rise was anyway.

I think it's disgusting when you consider the name of the tax...road fund licence.

How many roads has your road tax gone towards repairing? Every road around my house is awful. I had a puncture in my old car and a dented rim from a pothole on one of the roads and complained to the council, they refused to refund the costs of this fault with their road.

It's become another green tax these days, you pay based on how much your car pollutes providing it has official figures. It just proves that it no longer pays for the upkeep of roads, you don't necessarily cause more damage to the roads if you pollute more. There were figures released by a review into the road fund for 2006 or 2007, a shockingly low amount of RFL receipts went on roads, I can't remember how much now but I'm almost certain it was less than 50%

Just wait until they decide to bring in road charging nationwide instead of the standard yearly charge, I wonder what the average yearly RFL will be then.

Rant over.

well the second hand prices of pre 2001 performance cars are gonna go up, thats for sure. My best mate is a huge Alfa fan, hes currently got his 2002 2.0TS GTV up for sale, hes gonna trade it for a 2000 3.0 V6 GTV and spend the money hes gonna save on road tax on the extra insurance 8)