Kevin Bacon

The 280mm REAR brake thread

Yeah they're alloy and have reinforcing ribs, making them a bit bigger. It literally is just kissing the wheel but a bit if spacing and shaving should sort it!

Got the speedos over the rear brakes OK. The MK4 calipers need approx 3mm shaving off the tops and edges to avoid the wheel and balance weights.

If using wheel spacers, the amount of shaving required is drastically reduced, if required at all. I reckon 8-10mm spacing will remove the need for shaving.

cheers guys!

i am looking to do the 280mm non ventilated bask an 312 mm front setup on my vr6. can somebody please tell me the part number of the 280 disc or where to get it from? i dont want to buy the full kit, as i am going to machine the adapters for front/back at my own workshop.

thanks,

luka

i rang g-werks about replacement disks and they said i had to get a price direct from Bahn Brenner (apparently Eurospec the original suppliers aren't trading currently?). will report back with what they say but has anyone else replaced their discs yet?

well, i got a price back from BB/G-Werks today which, unsurprisingly, is more than we paid for the whole upgrade kit in the first place. with the crappy exchange rate and individual shipping the price for new discs is £260... needless to say, i think I'm going to be going back to standard unfortunately :(

I was under no illusion that replacement discs would be expensive and a pain in the arse to source when I fitted the kit, but £260 is just a joke. Back to standard for me too.

FWIW, Eurospec are still very much alive and trading. My mate bought a 6 speed transmission from them last week. The whole 280mm upgrade kit is $350 (£214) before shipping, so you'd be better off just getting that instead of new discs! http://www.eurospecsport.com/

We are being royally screwed over at the moment. Weak pound to Dollar / Euro. Aftermarket and OE parts prices up 15-20% (compared to 2008/9) across the board. Stagnant wages. Cost of living massively higher. No wonder a number of us are going back to standard to try and keep costs down :(

How have you got on with going back to standard John? It was a lot more work than I anticipated going back to standard discs.

I had no choice but to destroy the brackets in order to remove them. I kind of suspected that would happen when I first saw the farty little shallow capped bolts that came in the kit.

C'est la vie.

The 280s did work though. The braking power has noticably reduced going back to 239s.

havent quite got round to it yet as I was going to refurb a set of calipers before taking it all off. cheers for the warning about the brackets though.. would you say the change in braking force is enough to justify adjusting the bias valve? I had a new one put on when i went 288 & 280 and believe it was adjusted to suit.

If you run into the same issue as I did with the bolts rounding out, the only solution I could come up with was cutting through the middle of the bracket and then levering the 2 halves apart to break the rust seal. Then whack the 2 halves back and forth with a hammer to loosen the bolt. Then they will undo. Because of the domed heads on the bolts, you can't use Irwins on them. TBH I would rather sacrifice the brackets than risk ruining the rear beam by drilling the bolts out.

Anyway, good point on the bias valve adjustment, I haven't done that yet. It's currently in the stock position, so I'll try tweaking it a bit.

I am reading with interest all your comments on 280mm rear brake upgrade onto the Corrado. I first carried out this modification to my own 16VG60 about 6 years ago, owing to the need for both the front and rear brakes to generate suffficiently greater effect with the engine mods in place. I have since this time fitted many of these conversions to various Dubs utilising the same stub axle configuration. I hear what you say about the taper bearings and how some of you would prefer cartridge units, but in my experience if good quality genuine parts are used and correctly fitted they present no problems. In order to utilize the later bearings one needs to fit the later style stub axle which involves some much greater engineering. Sadly this is not just a bolt on gesture. I did consider this as an option but this would make the conversion too pricey and beyond alot of enthusiast DIY mechanics ability when it came to workshop facilities to fit. Also the gains of all this work i deemed to be unecessary given that the OE bearings are plenty good enough. Originally it was necessary to have 17" rims as minimum wheel fittment in order to accomodate this conversion, but i have since carried out further redevelopement work to allow 16" rims to be used. I prefer to fit the kits at my workshops because this way i can ensure the conversion encompasses all aspects of works required in order for the client to get the best results. Given that the youngest Corrado is now 13 years old it is often the case that this conversion also requires a complete rear beam re-furb. This having been said i have supplied kits for DIY fitment. If any of you would like to make this your next mod i would be happy to supply works as required for your individual needs.

Hi Do you still carry out this service? If so where are you based?

Many thanks Leigh.

Yes this conversion is still available to order. We are based at

JMR

Unit 15

Arunside Business Park

Fort Road

Littlehampton

West Sussex

BN17 7QU

01903 718684

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone is interested i've got a new full 280mm upgrade kit here boxed that will be for sale soon, actually everything in the bottom of my signature will also be for sale too!!!!

sorry for bringing up an old thread but has any one thought of using jaguar xj6 288mm vented rear discs with jag calipers and custom adapters.........

Also if I had to fit the bigger 280mm brakes am I correct in thinking I have to machine an old brake disc down for a spacer and use mk4 rear carriers to fit the standard rear calipers....

/\ oh right i didn't realise you could use mk4 calipers and carrier on just a bigger disc, liking the idea of that, take it you have to buy the conversion kit for the carrier/ disc then?

take the point about replacement parts being pricey, but for a weekend motor like mine i'd probably only need to change them in 10 years time.

would the rear calipers off an audi a3 1.8t quattro work and is it just normal mk4 carriers or does it have to be 4 motion ones..... I know john sells the whole package but I have been offered these calipers cheap...

So:

Calipers:- audi a3 1.8t quattro?

Carriers:- mk4 golf (gti?)

Vented Discs:- ???????????

The A3 callipers will

Work from the car you have in mind. The A3 1.8T is quite simply much the same animal as the 4 Motion in this respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheers john,

So really I could do with grabbing the carriers aswell....will these fit 295mm discs?

Still liking your car john. I noticed it at stonor park last year and ended up talking to you on your stand about carbon fiber boot lids and wiring problems with my vr6 as it had burnt out the wiring during a dashboard fire.

Wanted to resurrect this thread in the hope that someone has managed to get the 280mm vented kit inside a 15" set of wheels. I presume this involves judicious shaving on the cooling/support fins on the caliper. Anybody manage to do that properly and win?